LegacyGT.com

Throw Out Bearing... DON'T WAIT.

beastman

Thanks for the link man, helpful.

I have been trying... searching, reading, posting, driving, listening, reading, searching.

Couple guys have been helping me out on the Toronto Subaru forum too . Some useful info there. Posted a link for another guy in a similar TOB thread on this forum.

Anyway thanks again for the link .

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but to the OP, why so adamant on not waiting.

Lets say worst case scenario - what happens? you end up with a bearing that looks like yours and a need to tow the car somewhere? If I plan on buying a tsk3 kit anyway somewhere down the line, what do I have to worry about?

Any permanent no repairable damage possible? Or is it just a matter of towing it somewhere, pulling the trans , installing a tsk3 kit and new TOB?

If I just have to deal with the noise until it goes then pay the money I will wait.

If it is going to do $1000's more in damage if the TOB does finally explode then I would probably pull the trans now and throw a TSK3 in .

First, worst case scenario is that you wait too long, the bearing goes, and the shrapnel destroys your trans snout to the point where a TSK3 kit won't help. That would cost you more than $1000. There's not a whole lot of time between first hearing the sound then losing the bearing. I stopped driving my car within 3 days of hearing the sound. I put the car in the air and pulled the transmission. As soon as I touched the TOB, all of the balls fell on the ground. I was very close to causing serious problems. Some people get lucky and it doesn't cause much damage- others have to replace their transmission. It's just not worth the risk IMHO.

According to this thread the chirping is the beginning of the end .

However I am not sure the frequency or volume to which people who have had theirs explode heard it at .

I am in the same boat as you , everything works fine with the clutch and tranny , i just have the chirp after the car warms up that goes away with pressing the clutch .

I would hate to spend 600-700$ just to make the noise go away but I've been in my subie for a month - There is members on here that have been working with subarus longer than I've been alive probably and for that reason when they tell me to stop driving after hearing my specific noise , I'm pretty inclined to listen .

'Cause of that my tranquil tsk3 is on the way and I have a date to pull the tranny at the end of the month .

I would love to spend that money on go fast bits but they will be useless if my bearing grenades and shoots the transmission .

Your mileage may vary but better safe than sorry .

What scares me is there's people who claim they have done everything I am about to do but they still have the chirp....

Ehhh i wouldnt think the chirping would be close yet cuz with zero miles on my tob it was doing it. My previous exedy did it for a while. Had 20k miles on it and still was doing fine. Id imagine if it was more of a grindy noise then we'd all know what that means.

Archived