LegacyGT.com

Leaking head gasket...what to do now?

I currently have a stage 3 build and I just took my car to the dealership for an oil change. Upon picking my car up, they stated that oil is leaking from the headgaskets and they need to be replaced. Currently, the car is still running good with 72k miles on it. There is no mixture of oil and coolant, no burning oil, no significant loss of oil pressure or any other signs that the motor has been damaged, just a bit of oil coming from the case halfs.

The only other power mod I will be doing in the future is tuning for e-85. At that point, I believe the car should be around 400whp. What i'd like to know is whether I should:

• a) pull the motor and replace headgaskets,
  • b) pull the motor, refresh the heads and replace it with a stock EJ257
  • c) pull the motor, refresh the heads and replace pistons
  • d) other suggestions??

I'm happy with the current power level (with e-85 of course) because I know that if there is any more power, I'll run the risk of needing the 6 speed swap, so i'm not trying to do a moster build on the motor. As such, i just want something as close to stock as possible, but able to handle that power level. Thanks!!

You know.....you raise a great point. I mean it is possible for there to be an oil leak from the headgaskets. But, its more likely that the tech intended to say valve cover gasket. I just spoke with the service advisor and he stated that the tech who diagnosed the car is off today but he will call me back tomorrow.

But in the interim, the print out they gave me clearly states headgasket and quotes a price of over $4,000 to repair.

Welp, I spoke with the tech, he distinctly stated that the oil was "seepage" from the head gasket and not the valve covers. So this brings me back to my original question. What's the best thing to do?

You should get under your car and take some pictures, and post them in this thread so we can help assess the situation.

it's possible to have HG seepage without mixing. the lower runners below the cylinder(which borders the base of the block halves) flows oil, if that part of the head gasket deteriorates there can be leaking oil from that area onto the ground. the head gasket is a big, complex, gasket and there are many areas of failure that can represent itself in different scenarios.

Are you using Oil ?

Are there oil spots on the driveway?

Does the car run fine?

Can you smell oil smoke?

If the answers are, NO

Then don't worry about it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well, I dont' want to sell, trade, or anything like that. Its not my daily driver....this is my toy. ANyway, yes, as i stated above the car drives fine, no oil spots that I can see, no sight or smell of smoke. I'll take a look underneath when i get a chance. Oh, and i'm not using synthetic oil, just the normal stuff from the dealer.

Well, I dont' want to sell, trade, or anything like that. Its not my daily driver....this is my toy. ANyway, yes, as i stated above the car drives fine, no oil spots that I can see, no sight or smell of smoke. I'll take a look underneath when i get a chance. Oh, and i'm not using synthetic oil, just the normal stuff from the dealer.

That's great.

Whe nthe VC leaks you can smell it from time to time. Mine did for the last few months before the new engine.

That engine never had synthetic either.

Drive it, keep a eye on the oil level. Top it off as needed. Hey, where have I read that before....

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Funny you said that, I've been smelling oil through my vents for the past month or so. Another fun weekend working on the car again. :lol:

May be you should do some yoga before you start that job... ;)

Archived