LegacyGT.com

OBXT w/LGT Struts and OB Springs?

To be clear, you're putting oem legacy wagon springs on kyb outback replacement shocks (05+ for front, 04 for back), right?

From reading what you said, I think I might be happier just getting rid of outback parts and using spacers to get the height I want. Maybe koni dampers with oem legacy wagon springs and spacers.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be clear, you're putting oem legacy wagon springs on kyb outback replacement shocks (05+ for front, 04 for back), right?

From reading what you said, I think I might be happier just getting rid of outback parts and using spacers to get the height I want. Maybe koni dampers with oem legacy wagon springs and spacers.

Yep, 05 LGT wagon springs on 05/04 KYB struts. If you're looking for extra firm this isn't for you. If you want to firm it up slightly while lowering it and retaining a comfortable ride then it's perfect. And economical. Looking forward to see what bars will do for it.

• 3 months later...

Can you post pictures?

Also, did you get it properly aligned after the swap? If so, what were your camber and toe final values?

Last, did the drop affect your steering geometry much? Dd you have to put in a roll center kit to correct angles?

-r

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for lower, but not harsher ride. Want to improve the suspension geometry but still have the ability to plow over Michigan's canyon sized potholes. Was originally thinking that OB springs on Leggy dampers might be a good option if I could get them assembled.

I am wondering how different your setup is from just going with all stock Leggy.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry to bump this back from the dead.

Oregon how about an update?

I am new to the 3rd gen and am looking to improve handling at a reasonable cost. I am came from a 2nd gen GT wagon, don't think I will get to that level. But I am looking for options.

Thanks, peace,

Greg

Hey guys! Been off the forum for a while.

I really like the setup. It's lowered enough to look different without looking 'slammed'. Ride quality is a little more stiff but far from objectionable. Really enjoy driving the car.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/05/ytabaruj.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/05/adyryruv.jpg

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump from the dead.

However, I finally got around to doing this and am very happy with the results. It ended up lowering the back 7/8" and the front 1 1/4". I have newer OB spec KYBs all around, with the rears being second gen units. Now I am at 29" ground to wheel well in the rear and 27 3/4" in the front.

I will get an alignment in the next week or so, I am sure the toe is way out in the rear. However, the non-calibrated butt-g-force meter likes the ride. More responsive and less wallow.

I will try to get a pic or two up when I can.

My measure showed OB springs:

Front @ 13 1/8"

Rear @ 14 1/2"

The GT wagon spring I put on:

Front @ 11"

Rear @ 12 5/8"

Peace,

Greg

• 1 month later...
This looks perfect and after doing a ton of research this is the way I'm going to go. 2 questions; where did you guy get your LGT springs at? I think I tracked down the correct P/Ns I have, F- Part Number: 20330AG02A, R- Part Number: 20380AG01A, R- Part Number: 20380AG05A... anyone confirm?

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry can't confirm the PNs. I just keep an eye out on the classifieds. Here are some pics of a bean next to my bean. Hope these pics work.

Looks really good! I got the part numbers confirmed; fronts= 20330AG02A and rears = 20380AG05A.

compsurge has 05 wagon springs he will part with, go over to the classifieds. There is a guy looking for a complete wagon suspension and people are chiming in about struts and springs or just springs.

Not sure if they are LGT or just Legacy wagon. Don't know if springs were different between LGT and Legacy. In the 2nd gen the springs were the same and the struts were different.

Peace,

Greg

compsurge has 05 wagon springs he will part with, go over to the classifieds. There is a guy looking for a complete wagon suspension and people are chiming in about struts and springs or just springs.

Not sure if they are LGT or just Legacy wagon. Don't know if springs were different between LGT and Legacy. In the 2nd gen the springs were the same and the struts were different.

Peace,

Greg

Im on it ;) Now to order my KYBs.

Has anyone done the LGT sway bars as well? Opinions or just jump to an aftermarket bar?

Thanks

Mike

I don't think the difference is enough. I think it's something like oem outback is 15 and oem lgt is 16. I could be wrong.

I jumped right to aftermarket and it made a huge difference in the way the car handles and feels. OEM the rear would sway behind you around turns (super noticeable around turns)

Aftermarket the rear feels like it stays right in line with the car and turns with you (instead of swaying off to the side). I should have done it much much sooner. It makes a very noticeable difference in the feel and balance of the car.

I got the whiteline adjustable and will be putting it on the stiffer setting next weekend.

Sorry to bump from the dead.

However, I finally got around to doing this and am very happy with the results. It ended up lowering the back 7/8" and the front 1 1/4". I have newer OB spec KYBs all around, with the rears being second gen units. Now I am at 29" ground to wheel well in the rear and 27 3/4" in the front.

I will get an alignment in the next week or so, I am sure the toe is way out in the rear. However, the non-calibrated butt-g-force meter likes the ride. More responsive and less wallow.

I will try to get a pic or two up when I can.

My measure showed OB springs:

Front @ 13 1/8"

Rear @ 14 1/2"

The GT wagon spring I put on:

Front @ 11"

Rear @ 12 5/8"

Peace,

Greg

Greg, I was doing some searching and came across this post, Im assuming you over on OB;

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/28368-2005-2009-outback-suspension-faq-27.html#post1071146

How much better does the car feel now with the LGT springs? Do you recommend doing the KCA399 bushings? Did you do anything to the bumpstops? Also, looks like you did the LGT RSB as well, thoughts?

My springs are found and bought, ordering shocks mid July and have the install set for end of July.

Thanks

Mike

Yup that is me. I think/feel the car is 2-3 times better than stock. Half of that probable comes from the lowering alone. I just feels more stable. Now I also came from a 02 GT wagon so I had high hopes of control.

I needed the bushings to get the rear toe and camber in spec. So yes I would recommend them. The rear toe is the biggie to me. The suspension is just sensitive to rear toe.

I didn't cut the bump-stops. I was going to wait and see how it road. I haven't bottomed-out yet. I actually forgot that I was keeping and eye on them.

I did the RSB because it was free. I am looking to go bigger with aftermarket options.

Peace,

Greg

• 5 months later...

Im gonna bump this, I just installed my LGT springs on KYB 05/09 fronts and 04 Rears, I also installed a 25mm front Tribeca bar w/Kartboy endlinks and a WL RSB with Kartboy endlinks. I cant believe how much better this car drives now. Its definitely firmer then stock, but doesnt ride like a slammed car. My pregnant wife noticed the difference and didnt find the ride to be to harsh.

Here's a dirty picture right after I finished. I need to get it aligned this week and my WL KCA399 bushings installed. I also have a spring popping sound in the front left that I need to find out where the noise is coming from.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/mikebeach/20141206_123619.jpg

LGT brakes next and then Im done with the car for a while :lol:

• 1 month later...

So for an '09 OBXT...

1. Outback model KYB's...from the correct year as listed wherever I order from?

2. LGT springs...from any '05-'09 model year?

3. Whiteline KCA399 bushings

And with these three items, I should be good to go and get the 1 1/4" up front and 7/8" in the back? And then be able to get a decent alignment on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived