LegacyGT.com

LGT MT (stock) vs 1993(?) Celica Turbo AWD (modded)

I was coming back from camping and drove by what looked like an early 90's Toyota Celica all-trac, Turbo AWD, (200hp stock). It had some stickers on it but otherwise looked pretty stock. Both of us had a passenger and I had some camping gear and over half a tank of gas.

Minding my own business this guy rips up behind me and blows by my side (heading into a big turn), I was like this guy is an idiot. As he went by I heard a big BOV and it looked pretty fast. I went by him in the turn.

We played around for a bit, at one point we took it from around 75-80 to about 120 where I pulled a couple cars. Later he slowed down for me to pull next to him, as I did so and looked over to wave he gunned it, I was in 4th around 4k rpms, and should have shifted to 3rd but since I was caught off guard I floored it, he pulled up by about half a car (my bumper at his door) off the bat (I heard him shift at least twice so he must have started in high second or third) but within a few seconds traffic started to get heavy so we didnt get a chance to really go at it. Had I downshifted to 3rd he may not have jumped ahead.

I tried to go again, this time from the ideal gear but never got a chance due to traffic. Drove by him again we waved and he drove off.

Whatever he had in that thing it was pretty damn fast, must have had a jdm engine (GT-Four Celica) or a turbo swap or something, Im not too familiar with them so I dont know what they are capable of when modded altho they arent too fast stock. I am assuming tho that this one was nowhere near stock.

Its too bad we never really got a chance to do better coordinated races and some from a dig, but for certain it would have been close. I think I could have pulled him up top and from a dig but who knows. Anyways it was fun and I was surprised, talk about a sleeper :)

Any turbo car is easily made fast. My 89 Mirage turbo made 130hp and ran 16.0 stock; I took off 2 secs and added 20 mph to the traps for $500 and a bunch of leftover DSM parts.

Our extra displacement should be a match for the Celica but our small stock turbo is a huge hinderance.

I know there is at lest one JDM GT-Four Celica in the US The guy that owns it was a race official at a vintage race up Mt. Washington I was Shooting...fast little car, and one of the coolest looking hoods! I think he was from CT?

The All-track Celica is a rare car to run into. Even more now that it is over a decade passed.

Good story. Sounds to me like you got him if you pulled during the spurt to 120.

I guess they have just as much modding potential as the early 90's MR2.

Stock I think the AT Celica runs a 15.1 1/4 mile. I've also heard that their tranny's go out, and its very expensive to replace.

Toyota was really onto something with that car, but like I've mentioned in a separate thread, they really have shifted away from performance-minded buyers recently.

The All-track Celica is a rare car to run into. Even more now that it is over a decade passed.

Good story. Sounds to me like you got him if you pulled during the spurt to 120.

I guess they have just as much modding potential as the early 90's MR2.

Stock I think the AT Celica runs a 15.1 1/4 mile. I've also heard that their tranny's go out, and its very expensive to replace.

Toyota was really onto something with that car, but like I've mentioned in a separate thread, they really have shifted away from performance-minded buyers recently.

Yeah I agree I dont see to many of the non-turbo celicas of that era never mind the All-tracs. I know that stock theyre not to fast which is why I was surprised. We never really got a good even chance to race which is why its hard to say who "won". But it def would have been a good challenge.

I agree that toyota is moving away from perfomance, its too bad, cancelling the Celica for example. The current gen is one of the better looking cars of its class around especially with the TRD kit.

My father has a 1990 All Trac. I learned to drive stick in it, back in '96 on a dirt road. I get to drive it every once in a while and it's a heckuva car. Simultaneuosly one of the sweetest and meanest sounding inline 4's I've heard, buttery smooth, 200HP / 200lbs*ft stock. In normal driving circumstances it feels (power-wise) comparable to a WRX, with a bit less turbo lag and better low-end power, but not as much top-end power. Transmission feels better than in a WRX, with nice gear ratios. I wouldn't dare to launch it, but I won't launch my Saabaru either. Well-mannered handling, with nice "feel" but you can really feel its weight on the stock suspension. Tends to understeer like a pig, but a lot of that is the 15 year old stock suspension on 15" all-season tires. Maintenance costs are truly frightening!

As soon as the old man buys a Subaru, it will be mine! ;)

And... not as fast *stock* as a Legacy GT... but ... Be aware that there are some extremely fast ones around... engines are very robust and serious upgrades are possible thanks to the MR2 community. For example, this fellow:

http://www.turbocelica.com/TheShuttle/default.htm

... 12.5 sec @110MPH, 425WHP / 380 lbs*ft.

I can't imagine how much he spent doing this :confused:

untitled.jpg.2ab7b1a1b22bfb252f58e6a7c1862b67.jpg

And... not as fast *stock* as a Legacy GT... but ... Be aware that there are some extremely fast ones around... engines are very robust and serious upgrades are possible thanks to the MR2 community. For example, this fellow:

http://www.turbocelica.com/TheShuttle/default.htm

... 12.5 sec @110MPH, 425WHP / 380 lbs*ft.

I can't imagine how much he spent doing this :confused:

That's a very nice looking car, I always liked the Celicas. I just can't believe that the guy is fabricating his own exhaust headers from what looks like schedule 80 carbon steel pipe. The damn thing will weigh more than the engine !

Archived