LegacyGT.com

Stalls if I stop too fast

The 95 Legacy Wagon L - automatic has done this since we bought it over one year ago.

If you come up to a stop too quickly it will stall out. If you stop in a rather calm manner it will not stall.

Put the car in N and I can stop as quickly as I want --- the car will not stall.

Idle is around 500 > 600 (can't remember exactly at the moment) and it idles fine while sitting at a stop (foot on the brake).

It is as though the AT isn't letting go fast enough at a quick stop.

I'm thinking of a trans flush.

I'm going to clean the IAC.

Apparently it is a pricey item ($336.95). What's up with that one! I'm accustomed to idle control valves in the range of $50 > $150. That valve must be glazed in gold?

Not sure which relays could be coming into play.

The lockup on your torque converter could be hanging up so its still locked in, stalling it out like a manual trans car. I don't know a ton about the locking/unlocking mechanism in the trans, but if its not working right or hanging up, it will cause the car to stall. This forum thread has some excellent discussion on troubleshooting this condition, but I couldn't find anything good that was Subaru specific.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319693

Thanks for that link. I had considered the lockup but it doesn't exhibit any up-shift or downshift problems while driving. The guy in the link had to finally get a tranny shop and that is something that isn't in the mix on this car. This was a $1,000 purchase to use as an alternate car (when needed) and wouldn't warrant a $700 or more rebuild job.

One time I had a car that a trans fluid flush was all that was needed. With 206,000 miles on this car; having no clue to the age of the fluid; a change could free up any sticky valves.

The lockup on your torque converter could be hanging up so its still locked in, stalling it out like a manual trans car. I don't know a ton about the locking/unlocking mechanism in the trans, but if its not working right or hanging up, it will cause the car to stall. This forum thread has some excellent discussion on troubleshooting this condition, but I couldn't find anything good that was Subaru specific.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319693

Archived