LegacyGT.com

Blown engine..again..

So last night I was out on a drive on some old backroads, came to a stop at a stop sign and started accelerating outta a turn, Id heard some rattling earlier but i thought it was just my heatshield thats been loose rattling like usual, well as soon as I started accelerating the engine suddenly started knocking and chattering like crazy and had a huge power loss. Pulled over right away and shut the car off. Checked my oil right away and it was full, like it should be, checked underneath the car and there was a huge puddle of oil starting. by the time the truck and trailer got there all the oil was out. Checked the hatch to the tranny and everything inside the bellhousing was covered in oil. Im guessing the oil seperator plate blew, but the power loss and chattering? rod bearing? getting the engine out soon, just hoping it doesnt end up being to expensive.

Usually any sort of chattering is metal on metal contact. Starving a rod bearing for oil usually is a bad time and the rod will break or the bearing will spin before the engine stops. I imagine its time for a new engine, and that hole is a hole in your motor block. Start looking now. If the engine holds oil, and runs it probably won't be much good.

Sorry for you loss man, hope you can find a good motor cheap.

Im guessing the oil seperator plate blew, but the power loss and chattering? rod bearing? getting the engine out soon, just hoping it doesnt end up being to expensive.

If you're driving it, you should stop.

At that point, you can seriously damage the cams/bearings in the heads on top of blowing a hole through the block.

If anything, you want to salvage those cylinder heads for the next block you find, which ought to be another EJ25 (96 25D & 251 blocks are not out of the question for more power) :D

I stopped driving immediately, smarter than that lol. It is a 251 block with 25d heads, just curious but whats the gain in that versus a standard 25d? and troob your from galena?? Im from platteville like 30 minutes away from you.

I stopped driving immediately, smarter than that lol. It is a 251 block with 25d heads, just curious but whats the gain in that versus a standard 25d? and troob your from galena?? Im from platteville like 30 minutes away from you.

251 has higher compression pistons than the 97-99 25D, so more power everywhere is a result of that increased compression ratio.

I understand the higher cr but I didnt realiz they used different pistons, im sure this is somewhere on this website at all but what the difference is CR's and the difference between the 25d and 251 block? And I would have gladly accepted the help but the engine was out in 2 hours last night. after doing it a few times it gets easier lol. Ive called on it before, auto 2.2 unfortunately. I offered to buy the whole car before I knew it wasnt a manual.

Archived