LegacyGT.com

Life after 05 LGT wagon - 13 VW Golf R

It was a sad day when I saw the buyer drive away in "my" LGT wagon that has served me and my family very well over the last 7 years.

If only Subaru had kept making the LGT wagon and updated it...but they didn't.

My sadness went away pretty quick once my Golf R arrived and I started driving it.

This is my first VW -- my previous car was a 02 WRX sedan.

Although paper specs for the R and LGT are very close, the power delivery is very different. Down low, the LGT has a bit more grunt. Over 3k though, the R comes alive much more than the LGT. The R feels much faster passing at freeway speeds.

The R gets better gas mileage than my LGT.

The R's does have a great interior that its fans rave about. It is a very comfortable place to be in. I found the seats more comfortable than the LGT and it has the latest tech gadgets that you would expect in a $39k (Canadian) car.

I did look at the STI, it was too "raw" for me -- I don't track or race my car.

The WRX limited was the next closest thing but it just seems dated -- no HIDs, no Nav, no HDD, no SD card slot, 5-speed transmission.

None of these are "essential" to a car, but getting "out-featured" by some economy cars are kind of annoying when you are shelling out WRX limited bucks. For example, my wife's Mazda 5 has HIDs and a 6-speed transmission.

The next-gen WRX will no doubt fix a lot of these "feature" issues - as the BRZ spec sheet looks at least up to date. Unfortunately, I wanted a car now and the R fitted the bill.

Before someone chimes in about VW reliability - I have driven for 4 WHOLE days and 300km with NO problems what so ever :)

1315058720_Golf_R(23)-med.jpg.c804df6fd35c7a8258806e5b48ccdaa4.jpg

Congrats! Enjoy.

Before you modify/reflash - get educated on how VW keeps tabs on owners these days. I know Audi started automatically scanning cars for modified software during minor service visits and flagging cars as 'modified'. I suspect VW could be doing the same.

Now for the bashing (what else did you expect?). I did look at the R, I liked the ride, but the interior quality didn't impress me relative to a spec.b.

I was told there was no factory short-throw option, and the stock shifter had way to much travel for my liking. I was also annoyed by a lack of seat position memory in a car pushing $40k.

I agree on WRX, too dated. There is nav w/SD card option in the US, though.

R might 'feel' quicker than an LGT (I disagree with your grunt down-low thing), but it's still underpowered for what it is. If it had 300hp from the factory, I would've been driving it now. But at current HP, I'm waiting to see how will the next-gen WRX/STI look.

HIDs aren't a huge option to me. I have them now, and I can't say I see much better than I did with decent bulbs in LGT projectors.

I liked the seats in the R though, much better than those in the current STI.

I don't plan on modding the R -- I value the warranty too much for a VW.

I don't find the throws too long - no worse than the LGT. I do find it more precise than the LGT and I prefer the clutch uptake more.

Memory seats are nice but not available in the WRX either.

I do realize that I am giving up some power to the WRX. For me at least, it has "enough" power - essentially the same as the LGT. It is a good compromise between power and fuel economy.

Like I said, the next gen WRX will likely trump or at least tie the Golf R in my books (updated tech, 6-speed transmission, better fuel economy, more power) ...but I cannot buy next gen now.

WRX Ltd has HIDs, at least here in the US. My friend has an '11 with them, and they have the manual leveling like the STi. His does not have the Navi option but does have bluetooth and USB connectivity and pairs quite flawlessly with his android phone. It displays tracks on the radio and allows him to toggle songs with this steering wheel controls all over bluetooth. I dont know if the navi unit would intergrate this all into the touchscreen or not but i would be interested in it if it did.

With that said, the Golf R is sweet! congrats

Congrats! I've also been mulling around the idea of getting a Golf R. I'm also considering waiting for the 2014 WRX 5-door/wagon (based on the new Impreza body) to come out. Supposedly it will have a twin-scroll turbocharged version of the direct-injected FA20 engine from the BRZ making around 275 crank hp.

Thanks - good to hear from another LGT wagon owner in the same boat that I was in.

I also considered waiting for the 2014 WRX. One other factor that pushed me to the R was that you will not be able to get an R by the time the 2014 WRX's come out. If I didn't like the 2014 WRX - I just pretty well lost out on my only other viable choice for a hatch/wagon with AWD and manual. There are few options that fit those criteria. For me, the EVO and CTS-V wagon are not viable choices.

One thing that I did like more about the WRX from a practicality point of view - I assume we get hatches/wagons because we still need a practical side other just than a "racekar": roof has mount points for roof rails.

However, I am pretty happy with OEM VW roof rails. They attached solidly. The front bar also have pins on the clips that goes into holes on the window opening to get it into the same spot every time. The clips are also wide 4" (compared to about 1.5" on a Yakima rack I had for another car) to spread out the load.

WRX Ltd has HIDs, at least here in the US...

Interesting, not the first car company who thinks that Canadians don't want HIDs :confused:

There were other cars I looked at where HIDs can be had as an option in the US but not Canada.

The adaptable HIDs (points into your turn) on the R are sweet. Didn't think they made much difference until I went back to driving my wife's car with non-adapting HIDs.

As frivolous as this sounds - the little "dance" they do at start-up never gets old :) They swivel to the side, point down, and then level out to where they should be. Put it in the same category as the LGT needle sweep - unless but very cool.

Congrats. great car. Expensive but I think it's best overall AWD hatch on the market right now. Custom flash will get you easily in 300hp territory on stock guts. That would be my choice of DD if I could afford it. Did you had a chance to try to turn off traction? Supposidly can't turn it off totally. Big no no for those occasional track day events. I wouldn't worry about reliability. VW manuals are one of the best, most precise on the market and I will take any VW MT over Subaru's 5MT any day no matter how long those throws are. SS won't fix "stick in a mud" feel. Engine has been around for what...12 years now??? on many platforms. It received quite a few awards and once was announced the most efficient engine ever produced or something like that. One way or another if you survived 7 years of one of the most unrefined drive trains that came from Japan...you should be fine with VW too. You have 60k miles before you have to worry about that anyway :)

Thanks - good to hear from another LGT wagon owner in the same boat that I was in.

I also considered waiting for the 2014 WRX. One other factor that pushed me to the R was that you will not be able to get an R by the time the 2014 WRX's come out. If I didn't like the 2014 WRX - I just pretty well lost out on my only other viable choice for a hatch/wagon with AWD and manual. There are few options that fit those criteria. For me, the EVO and CTS-V wagon are not viable choices.

One thing that I did like more about the WRX from a practicality point of view - I assume we get hatches/wagons because we still need a practical side other just than a "racekar": roof has mount points for roof rails.

However, I am pretty happy with OEM VW roof rails. They attached solidly. The front bar also have pins on the clips that goes into holes on the window opening to get it into the same spot every time. The clips are also wide 4" (compared to about 1.5" on a Yakima rack I had for another car) to spread out the load.

Good to know about the roof racks, which appears to be the only way to go with the Golf R. The center exhaust location precludes the addition of a receiver hitch for using a rear bike rack. :(

Good to know about the roof racks, which appears to be the only way to go with the Golf R. The center exhaust location precludes the addition of a receiver hitch for using a rear bike rack. :(

Yes, that did annoy me a bit as an "unpractical" strike against the R.

Just means I have to put the hitch on the wife's car :)

For a change, Canadians get the goods:lol: Traction control can be disabled on Canadian R's. It will be interesting to try in a parking lot when the snow flies.

I have to agree that it is much more pleasurable rowing through the gears -- the better clutch uptake and snickety-click of the transmission is very nice. I think the LGT gearbox was OK but the '13 Forester that I test drove when my wife was looking is way worse on the vagueness scale.

I like the LGT engine quite a lot. However, the R gets the nod over 5k -- it revs happily past 6500 where I found the LGT starts to get a bit labored past 5k.

Congrats. great car. Expensive but I think it's best overall AWD hatch on the market right now. Custom flash will get you easily in 300hp territory on stock guts. That would be my choice of DD if I could afford it. Did you had a chance to try to turn off traction? Supposidly can't turn it off totally. Big no no for those occasional track day events. I wouldn't worry about reliability. VW manuals are one of the best, most precise on the market and I will take any VW MT over Subaru's 5MT any day no matter how long those throws are. SS won't fix "stick in a mud" feel. Engine has been around for what...12 years now??? on many platforms. It received quite a few awards and once was announced the most efficient engine ever produced or something like that. One way or another if you survived 7 years of one of the most unrefined drive trains that came from Japan...you should be fine with VW too. You have 60k miles before you have to worry about that anyway :)

How is the handling? I testdrove a '13 WRX and 13 R back to back and I have to say IMO the R handles way better.

Very happy with it. Compared to the LGT, I would say that it "plows" less - a bit surprising since the LGT has more balanced weight distribution on paper (55/45 vs 60/40) and is marginally lighter. Turn-in is definitely sharper, and it has a bit less body roll. The R does have a shorter wheelbase -- sometimes it is hard to work around simple physics.

Great car, the R. If I could get away with its smaller footprint and tight trunk, I'd be driving the R over my '11 LGT. Stage 1 chip will make that car run twelves in the quarter.

Yes, it is smaller -- mostly in the luggage department. A VW salesman might try to tell you that its trunk space is "vertical" :rolleyes: but I like to see out the back window thank you.

Passenger room is surprising spacious. I have not heard any comments about less space from driving my wife and two teenagers in the back. It feels marginally tighter with a third passenger in the back - mostly from the width. Back legroom specs is actually a bit longer than my LGT wagon.

The LGT wagon was really special in that it combined pretty fun to drive AND be able to haul all the gear for family camping and skiing. The R may be more fun to drive overall but the LGT wagon beats is hands down for hauling gear.

Yes, it is smaller -- mostly in the luggage department. A VW salesman might try to tell you that its trunk space is "vertical" :rolleyes: but I like to see out the back window thank you.

Passenger room is surprising spacious. I have not heard any comments about less space from driving my wife and two teenagers in the back. It feels marginally tighter with a third passenger in the back - mostly from the width. Back legroom specs is actually a bit longer than my LGT wagon.

True when compared to 4th gen LGT, but not the 5th gen, which is larger than a Camry on the inside. One of my best friends has an MK6 GTI, and I used to have an MK5 Jetta Wagon TDI, so I am quite familiar with the dimensions. Unfortunately, the R does not work for me - I require more space for work duty.

Have you had a chance to test the Haldex AWD? I wonder how it compares to the subie. My wife's XC60 uses the 4th gen setup and it is surprisingly capable for everyday use.

so you went from a wagon to a hatch back. I've considered it.....how's the storage capacity for you compared to the wagon?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

The WRX limited was the next closest thing but it just seems dated -- no HIDs, no Nav, no HDD, no SD card slot, 5-speed transmission.

None of these are "essential" to a car, but getting "out-featured" by some economy cars are kind of annoying when you are shelling out WRX limited bucks. For example, my wife's Mazda 5 has HIDs and a 6-speed transmission.

I never understood why number of gears in a manual transmission was considered a feature or advantage to many people.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Great car, the R. If I could get away with its smaller footprint and tight trunk, I'd be driving the R over my '11 LGT. Stage 1 chip will make that car run twelves in the quarter.

So you are trying to tell me you shave off a whole second in the quarter mile by adding 30-40whp? I don't know about all that, most of the stage 1 Golf Rs I have heard of are mid 13s on average.

So you are trying to tell me you shave off a whole second in the quarter mile by adding 30-40whp? I don't know about all that, most of the stage 1 Golf Rs I have heard of are mid 13s on average.

Yes. Stage 1 on 100 octane puts down 300wtq, which is over 75wtq increase.

Archived