LegacyGT.com

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R or Blizzak WS-70?

jay-d

I believe this will be my 4th winter use of Xi2. They do wear most excellent...unfortunately, I don't have the actual miles driven on these tires but my wagon is rarely resting. 05 with 145,000 miles on it.

I've had great use of this tire in rain, slush, compact snow, fresh snow... Only can recall two occasions where we've had trouble with snow/ice.

First one, was when I encounter ice on a small sideroad leading to buddies driveway that was smoother then any zamboni could have produced. I missed the driveway when I touched the brakes going maybe ten miles an hour and slide for 50-60 feet. Thankfully, the soft berms stopped before hitting a tree. Standing on the ice was more dangerous...studs may have helped but ice skates would have been the best solution.

Second one, was warm snowy dump of a couple feet deep. The low stance of our legacys can only plowso much snow. My 4Runner was handy in pulling out the wagon then.

Mostly, wanted to say any of these tires are going to great but I know that the Michelin tires I've used seem to have lasted a fair long time.

Cheers,

Mike

Sweet, thanks for the review!

I ended up going with the Michelin Xi2 as I wanted to buy a set of winters for my dad as well and save as much money as I could.

With the $70 rebate, and opting for the 205/50/17 tire size (compared to 215/45/17), I got them for $820 after taxes including the rebate. (Saved $50)

Once I did more research, I really wanted a tire that would last me and I like the fact that the Xi2 has amazing treadwear, all the way to 75%!

In a few seasons, I'll probably upgrade to the Xi3 once they've been out and reviewed.

Why are tires so expensive in Canada?

There's all sorts of import fees and what not :(

We also only have 30 million people in Canada (all of the population of Canada can fit in to the state of Cali!) so we don't really get the volume discounts that you guys do.

Kind of sucks, but it's something us Canadians are used too and even though we might spend a few bucks more, it feels nice supporting local business :wub:

Anyone know anything about the Nexen 231 Winguard? I've got a line on some for cheap and want to know if they're worth 160 bucks for a like new set.

Any winter tire, no matter how cheap is better than any all season (unless it's a Nokian all season.)

These reviews favour pretty well for that tire: http://www.carid.com/nexen-tires/winguard-231-453666.html

• I Donated
Why are tires so expensive in Canada?

Seeing the prices folks are quoting in this thread both north and south of the 49th parallel, I am asking the same question. I was going to get a set of the Conti Extreme Winter Contact installed at $164/tire, but they were not in stock and would have cost another $20/tire in shipping. Looks like I'll be going with the Nokian Hakka R at $204/tire...add in the install and tax, and I'll be just over a grand for the set...:rolleyes:

Seeing the prices folks are quoting in this thread both north and south of the 49th parallel, I am asking the same question. I was going to get a set of the Conti Extreme Winter Contact installed at $164/tire, but they were not in stock and would have cost another $20/tire in shipping. Looks like I'll be going with the Nokian Hakka R at $204/tire...add in the install and tax, and I'll be just over a grand for the set...:rolleyes:

1010tire was having a free shipping event. Apparently they have it every year. I got my contis from them a few weeks ago. If you ever come over to the mainland, you can do a local pickup at one of their shops without any shipping charges. I considered going down to the states to pick up tires since they were so cheap, but the added cost of gas and duty made the prices pretty much the same.

B/t mine and my wife's subies, we've owned older Hakka's, WS50's and 60's, Iceguards, and Arctic Claws. The WS70's don't look to be much different than the 60's, which I've been pretty happy with overall. The Iceguard's didn't have an open center channel, and weren't as good in slush as the others. The Hakka's were great, but loud and wore quickly. The Arctic Claws did pretty well everywhere, and seem to be wearing well, too. I'd say the Hakka's probably aren't worth the extra scratch when there are so many other good options.

1010tire was having a free shipping event. Apparently they have it every year. I got my contis from them a few weeks ago. If you ever come over to the mainland, you can do a local pickup at one of their shops without any shipping charges. I considered going down to the states to pick up tires since they were so cheap, but the added cost of gas and duty made the prices pretty much the same.

I'll be going through 1010tire/Volco for my summer tires for sure!

Just ordered a set of General Altimax Arctics. I can't see the Nokians being able to justify the premium price. 250.00/tire is really steep.

I got Nokians only caused got them at a steal. But I had the General Arctics, those were awesome tires, never let me down.

Yeah, this (wet ice) test is why I'm waiting for some decent Xi3 tests and haven't pulled the trigger on Contis yet. Would be really good to see confirmation that they fixed Xi2's lateral grip issues.........

Based on what I have read so far about the Xi3 (from TireRack testers and Test World in Finland), its weakness on ice is still in lateral grip, just like the Xi2.

The Xi3 was next to last in the Test World ice handling course, beating only the Nokian WR D3 performance winter in lap time, and shared a subjective lowest score of 6 with 2 other tires, in subjective ratings of ice performance by the test drivers.

Based on what I have read so far about the Xi3 (from TireRack testers and Test World in Finland), its weakness on ice is still in lateral grip, just like the Xi2.

Yeah, saw a few tests saying that. Which leads me to believe that Michelin engineers must really believe that straight line ice braking is way more important, somehow. Cause Xi3/Xi2 are among the best there.

Archived