LegacyGT.com

05 lgt 20g

I did not mean to sound like a smart ass. I'm just saying, I built my engine to be a fun daily driver. Right now it is my primary transportation. Trust me the car gets driven on a regular basis for the build it has now. I know in the future I plan some upgrades and all the internal work is already done.

Terry

If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with you on the DD/merge abilities. I recently bought a new-to-me 2005 Outback XT 5MT that I'm modifying with a BNR16G and numerous other mods while I continue to drive my normally aspirated '99 Forester auto trans. My primary focus is increasing power in LOW RPM for real-world useful power (for me anyway). I couldn't care less what peak hp/tq is if the bottom half of the tachometer is useless.

I moved to Denver a few months ago and frequently find myself in the "creeping merge" of rush-hour, much more than other cities I have lived with much slower merges. Traffic and particularly merging moves like a slinky with tight slow buildup, followed by open road for a short time, and repeat. I constantly find myself in long clogged merges moving too fast to downshift back to 1st gear, but moving too slow for 2nd gear to boost/accelerate. It's frustrating that my old NA Forester auto is considerably more adept in such situations, so I'm hoping my mods and tune will alleviate all of this.

I even found a very steep and extraordinarily windy mountain road outside of Boulder in which I couldn't get into the power band in 1st gear in stock form. Granted, I couldn't get above 10mph anyway, but it was frustrating that I couldn't accelerate when there were short straightaways. Pedal to the floor in first gear, only able to maintain base speed. I know it's a turbo 4banger, but I was amazed at the lack of guts at low RPM compared to an old NA Forester. Once again, I'm counting on tune/mods to make it all better.

No matter how much you tell yourself you want bottom end, nothing is better than predictable linear power in a DD.

Of course spool is all you really want, why not "upgrade" to a td04 as its sure to spool even faster?!

Next turbo is in the works. Just waiting for Xmas to end. Blouch 20G XTR will be going in soon.

Next turbo is in the works. Just waiting for Xmas to end. Blouch 20G XTR will be going in soon.

Now THATS an awesome street turbo!!! Glad to hear you are not stuck on little girly turbo syndrome. Its a bit expensive but is damn near a perfect street turbo and bonkers on e85.

Looking forward to your install and tune.

Nice so you'll give up a bit top end for a bit quicker spool? E85 to go with it Terry;)

No E85 right away. It is my DD and I don't want to risk getting out in the middle of nowhere and not finding fuel.

• 4 weeks later...

Eh, just switch maps and continue on...no biggie.

What freaks me out a little is going the other way and making sure you're almost dry before dumping in E85.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Sorry I just caught that you are upgrading a 20g to a 20g. $1500 to an XTR is a lot of dough.

Have you considered maybe the 1.5XTR?

Sorry I just caught that you are upgrading a 20g to a 20g. $1500 to an XTR is a lot of dough.

Have you considered maybe the 1.5XTR?

Already have the XTR at home. I got a deal on one here on the forum with 4K on it for 1100. DW850's came UPS today. Hopefully I can get them changed out this weekend and get a tune. I had a Godspeed 20g, that is what the numbers are from. The oil seal went out after 700 miles. I had to get a turbo fast, so I bought a cheap EM-USA off Ebay, now it's time for that one to go. I did not want any more inferior stuff, so I got the Blouch. The Godspeed is still at the factory for warranty disposition.

Blouch makes good turbos for sure. I'd be really interested in a dyno graph comparing both and with the boost curve plotted also. That would tell us a lot.

If you have no plans for another dyno run that's ok to but we'll still bug ya for your opinion.

I'm thinking of the same turbo or 1.5 and haven't decided.

Blouch makes good turbos for sure. I'd be really interested in a dyno graph comparing both and with the boost curve plotted also. That would tell us a lot.

If you have no plans for another dyno run that's ok to but we'll still bug ya for your opinion.

I'm thinking of the same turbo or 1.5 and haven't decided.

My tuner (Nuke of NF Performance) recommended this turbo. Said on pump gas, I should be at a solid 350 (or more) AWP. I will be doing a dyno run, but probably wait for an event.

I'm lost. You traded a td06-20g for a blouch 20g? $1100 for 30hp. You have a built block and the blouch only flows 47lbs per min. That's like trading a BNR hta68 for a FP hta68. I seen someone recommend the dom 1.5. Even that only flows 49lbs. Dom 3 or bigger to make a worthwhile difference. Or you could have had a new FP hta71 that flows 51lbs for $200 more then you paid for the used 20g.

I'm lost. You traded a td06-20g for a blouch 20g? $1100 for 30hp. You have a built block and the blouch only flows 47lbs per min. That's like trading a BNR hta68 for a FP hta68. I seen someone recommend the dom 1.5. Even that only flows 49lbs. Dom 3 or bigger to make a worthwhile difference. Or you could have had a new FP hta71 that flows 51lbs for $200 more then you paid for the used 20g.

My first 20 blew an oil seal, this is just a replacement. The one on the car now is just a cheap Ebay (EMUSA) to get buy. I never heard anything from the place I bought my first turbo, so I picked up the Blouch.

Your underestimating the xtr first of all. Second, nuke usually underestimates power so there is no disappointment, unlike many others. 11 wrx tuned by nuke on the same turbo but had e85 made 462/492

Nuke tends to be conservative when estimating power, I'd agree with that. He sure as hell knows what he's doing though :)

He tuned mine about 8 months ago, the only thing i've (well, max) has fiddled with was clearing some bad habits the ecu learned driving on california 91 piss when tuned on bp 93.

I could suck start a snow blower.

I can think of more reassuring names for a tuning shop than 'Nuke'! ;)
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

My first 20 blew an oil seal, this is just a replacement. The one on the car now is just a cheap Ebay (EMUSA) to get buy. I never heard anything from the place I bought my first turbo, so I picked up the Blouch.

Makes sense when you put it like that. Although, since you have a shiny new built block and will need a retune anyway, I don't think I could have resisted a dom 3 ;)

Your underestimating the xtr first of all. Second, nuke usually underestimates power so there is no disappointment, unlike many others. 11 wrx tuned by nuke on the same turbo but had e85 made 462/492

My lbs/min comes straight from blouch. Secondly, no way a 20g makes 462 whp. Even on rocket fuel, it just doesn't flow enough

You should have more power out of everything you did. Im stage 2 stock turbo at 16 lbs boost and dynoed at 251 whp and 271 tq. I was thinking you would be in the 350's hp

I should be there with the Blouch. I wanted to stay conservative since this is my daily driver. I can always go bigger in the future.

You local guys already know....... NUKE is the shizzznit in the upper midwest.

Archived