LegacyGT.com

I painted my calipers in "cast aluminum" (pics)

mele63

Red works for me. See my pic with dirty rims. Please don't slam me. I've since washed the car.:)

Red is a great color and it's likely what I'll go with on mine.

I've noticed the casting ridge and marks on all of our calipers and was wondering if anyone has taken the time to smooth it all out before painting. Would like to get a really clean, smooth surface (can anyone say grinding/buffing wheel here) before I put on the paint. That said, if it's too smooth the paint would likely need some kind of primer to adhere to before putting on the top and clear coat.

Just curious.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought about it for a second and decided against it for three reasons. As you mentioned, the paint might not adhere as well. Also, I had a fear of damaging something (like a brake line). Third, most folks won't notice.

I used a kit from a store called Auto Barn. The kit comes with paint, brush, tape, spray cleaner to prep the surface, and even a stick to stir the paint. It was very easy to do. The paint adhered so well that I didn't even bother to use the masking tape.

Good luck with yours!

Gold FTW. As in just put Gold STI Brembo's on.

Too expensive to maintain (sound of moths flying out of the wallet)...lol

But I do like gold calipers too, especially on a blue or black car...the hawtness. Won't look very good behind my gold wheels though.

SBT

Anybody paint their callipers with an atlantic blue car like mine??? if not what color do you think would look best....pics??

Red would be the hotness imho. Dark carmine red or bright Ferrari red.

SBT

• 1 year later...
I didn't want my stock calipers to attract attention, so I just went with black. I think the way they look stock is so ugly that they have to be painted with something. To really point in making them stand out, but I had to make them blend in better.

Before:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/158-5892_IMG.jpg

After:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/158-5893_IMG.jpg

I think it had to be done. Here are a couple more for reference. The silver wouldn't have looked as good on blue, but it definitely looks better than that crusty looking color they come stock as. +1 for caliper painting.

Looks really nice OC....

Do you regularly wash the rims?

Seems like it would add a lot of time to my already extensive car washing routine.

Give me a brief run down of how often you clean and how....

thanks

Finished mine....3.5 Hours ...$4.99 can of 500 temp gloss black...7.99 for subaru caliper logos...I read that someone paid $160.00 to have them done at the dealer...CRAZY !!! :lol:

[ATTACH]13253[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13254[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13255[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13256[/ATTACH]

It looks like everyone is painting the entire caliper and nto masking off those two round parts in the middle that ARE NOT the cast metal. They look like thin peices of metal. Is that ok to paint the ENTIRE caliper and not mask certain parts off?

I just want to be safe...but it does look better with everything painted even the center hub where the lug bolts are.... like OC said.... because of that I might be going with Black instead of RED....even though I have red interior....

black looks good.....matches the tires and the center hub area....might need some more high temp paint though :)

Looks really nice OC....

Do you regularly wash the rims?

Seems like it would add a lot of time to my already extensive car washing routine.

Give me a brief run down of how often you clean and how....

thanks

I wish my calipers looked like 2006Specb122's in the first pic. Mine are rusted, especially the front left.:mad:

Painting the calipers will be my first project this spring. I haven't decided on black, grey or silver yet.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

No you leave your calipers on. Most do at least.

Dupli Color Kit is the easiest kit and isn't expensive.

It is ONE part paint with ceramic.

This makes it nice because you don't have to worry about mixing paint and using up all the paint quiickly like with other systems.

It came out great and no complaints yet.

It takes more time than you would think so be sure to block out some time to do this job.

Start with removing wheels.

Clean calipers with supplied caliper cleaner.

Mask everything in and around the caliper and rotors that you don't want painted.

Paint and give it two or three coats until covered well.

Let dry.

Repeat for all four calipers.

There is a video on dupli color site but it is pretty simple and straight forward.

Masking takes some time and just taking your time for painting with the brush takes a while.

I will post pictures soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived