LegacyGT.com

totalled subie... now insurance is lowballing me for the value!

Great info landark, really appreciate it. The thing that was surprising to me is that when they asked for quotes for cars around my area, they didn't care about trim level. With the legacy's the GT's are much more expensive and worth more than anything else, not sure if they realized this or not seeing as how my legacy was just a 2.5i. We will see when they get back to me with the counter. How much can you argue before they get fed up and don't give more value? Do they ever go back down on the value they give?

It is odd that they didn't specify that it has to be a 2.5i. I don't know the conversation you had with him but I'd suspect he meant trim level within your specific model (as in if there were a DX, LX, EX). If not, that is a major bonus for you. His boss has to review anything he presents you so nothing is 100% yet.

When I gave a number for the value of someone's car, that was it. Salvage value for the customer I was dealing with was easier than for a claimant (the other not at fault party). The negotiation was you either accept my offer or you buy back the salvage. But I prided myself on coming up with a reasonable value and checking it against real car values before offering it. The only times I actively negociated with someone was when it was an oddball car that wasn't easily replaced.

Hey guys, wanted to update the thread on the latest happenings!

So he initially offered me 10.5k, I said I thought it was worth more (it is) and wanted a better offer. He said that I needed to send him a couple (I sent 3) ads from around the same mileage, same year or one year newer, and trim didn't matter. So I sent him a bunch of ads for legacy GT's in my area, which were going for around 13-15k, and a week later he got back to me with a 12.2k offer, which is more than I owe. I'm going to take this offer and probably not buy back the car from the insurance company.

Thanks for all the advice! Unfortunately I won't be getting another legacy, I bought a TL from a friend, but someday when I can afford it I can see myself in a new limited GT :)

Archived