LegacyGT.com

Subaru sale position

So, I applied for a job at the dealer by me and had my first interview after I completed the application. I spoke to the finance manager and the sales manager. I've been there enough to where they completely recognize me. They said that they liked me a lot, thought I'd do really well, and that I'd be contacted by the owner for my second interview.

The reason for this thread is that I wanted to see if any one of you guys out there have ever sold Subaru's, and I wanted to hear of your experiences and get some advice and what not.

Just want to hear what everyone has to say. Thanks guys!

Selling cars usually has precious little do do with actually working on them. Most people couldn't/wouldn't change an air filter or even know how many cylinders their car has.

The gearheads usually do their research before, because most salespeople are as inept as the people that normally buy the cars. They know canned info the dealership taught them. Sometimes, you have to be careful with the gearheads as to not be more knowledgeable than them, or their ego pops... Congratulate them on how much they know, ask THEM questions. As a dealer, you usually need to emphasize that the car is in excellent mechanical condition, and if there is something we missed or something that goes wrong soon, our shop is top notch and it can be fixed promptly and if possible under warranty (free).

Basically, its a fine line between educating people about an object they use every day, seldom think about, but not overwhelming or scaring them. Telling them enough that they find comfort in the purchase. In the case of Subaru, they are VERY expensive to buy compared to other vehicles, but they are good vehicles and its easy to point out why they are worth the money.

The reason I have never sold cars is, the hours at most dealerships around here are pretty insane, 12 hour days 6 days a week with no garaunteed income and I have to drive over an hour to get to them... I've had some very poor interviews from the places, where the employees were complaining that they hated their jobs (I left before even going into the interview on that one). One of them put me inside a glass room in direct sunlight for 20 minutes till I soaked my suit is sweat, came in, sat in a desk that was raised up (like a judge in court) and proceeded to be picked apart while he looked bored and slouched over.

It sounds like you have gotten in on a positive note, thats a good thing.

lol I just read your guys posts...

Monkey, thanks for the compliments and support. It's really appreciated. And you as well, Tr00b. Thanks!

As far as the guys here knowing everything. They don't. They know a lot, but not everything. One tech argued with me that the Phase 2 4EAT's didn't have the screen in the pan like the previous Phase 1 4EAT's..... I knew they did and he tried to prove it by showing me the parts dept diagram. When I popped the pan off a few weeks later, I brought it back and showed everyone. Even the parts guy didn't know it was there.

Well, the owner of the dealer comes back to work today. Hopefully I'll be getting a call today or tomorrow.

• I Donated
just saying. idk him well but techs are suppose to know everything, but really they are just over paid backyard mechanics with books on everything.

What separates back yard mechanics and true mechanics are the years of experience.

If someone told me I was a "backyard mechanic with some books" to my face it likely would not end up very pretty lol

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

certification is pointless unless you have the passion for the job. im a "backyard" mechanic, or shade tree mechanic like they used to call them back in the day. that doesnt mean i am not capable of some pretty huge wrenching projects tho. ive done some pretty cool high end hot rod stuff in my day with others that had the money and passion for it as well. the thing that makes me a shade tree mechanic and not a "service tech" is the fact that i have no ASE or any other certs to prove i know what im doing. lol. i have ASE certified friends that will call me when they get stumped on something they know i can help them with, just like ill go to them when i come across things i havent done yet.

to me it means the difference between getting a job at firestone and not lol. some shops wont hire a mechanic without it, some dont care.

im not even a professional mechanic anymore, im an industrial programmer. none of this is relevant to me, just sayin... i go to my friends shop and work on cars for free because i love working on cars. doesnt matter to me if im getting paid, i wasnt sitting in front of the tv, and my friends business benefits from the free labor. win-win.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you get the job.

Let us know how it works out.

An advantage you have is you like the cars, know how to work on them.

However selling them, you might not want to let people know how much you have to work on them. Ha.

At least I think the newer Subarus are more reliable than the 2nd Gen I have....

Archived