LegacyGT.com

Need New oil pan, any suggestions?

• I Donated

So there is a rust "hole" in your oil pan. Does all the oil come out of it?

Honestly, and oil pan is an oil pan. Whatever you wind up getting, I would put an extra thick coat of paint on it since you live in MI. It will help delay rusting on it (I don't say prevent cause you can never prevent it)

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I fixed a crack in my oil pan with some JB weld. I don't know if that is an option for you. And you don't need a felpro gasket. RTV sealant works just fine.

If you JB it, I'd suggest only JB'ing on the outside.... I also don't suggest JB'ing.

A new pan is cheap, so don't risk it.

RTV is fine for the gasket.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

So there is a rust "hole" in your oil pan. Does all the oil come out of it?

Honestly, and oil pan is an oil pan. Whatever you wind up getting, I would put an extra thick coat of paint on it since you live in MI. It will help delay rusting on it (I don't say prevent cause you can never prevent it)

its quite literally a pinhole in the middle of a rust spot and the oil seeps out at about a quart every 2 weeks

and thanks swagon im off to rockauto to order one up

I got a new pan from the dealer ended up being more expensive then they said though. I think subarupartsforyou has them around 70 maybe less for the 2.2. Mine wasnt even rusted through I just wanted a new one and didnt feel like trying to paint the old one.

Seeing that rock auto sells them now though I kick myself.

If you JB it, I'd suggest only JB'ing on the outside.... I also don't suggest JB'ing.

A new pan is cheap, so don't risk it.

RTV is fine for the gasket.

Good advice from BAC5.2 as usual, he knows much more than I do so listen to him first! :)

However, my repair has been successful as of yet. Dry as a bone. I wish I would have caught the crack in my oil pan while I was rebuilding my 22T but I missed it. BTW, my SS's HGs went approximately 70 miles after I purchased it and I was a total noob and knew nothing about cars. Anyway, my oil pan was covered in a thick layer of oil gunk when I removed it and I cleaned it thoroughly. After replacing all the seals and everything I was losing about a 1/2 quart of oil a week. After replacing the crush washer the leak lessened but was still there.

My pan is not rusted but there was a hairline crack near the oil plug. Apparently the PO hit something. Anyway, I drained the oil and let it sit for a few hours. Then I sanded the crack and the area around it thouroughly, cleaned it with acetone, and applied the JB weld. I smoothed it out an hour or two later and let it cure for 12 hours before filling the engine back up with oil. Let me stress that the crack was very small. I wouldn't recommend JB weld for a large repair unless it was a temporary fix.

A good link for replacing your oil pan is posted on beergarage.com: http://beergarage.com/SubyOilPan.aspx

He uses a cork gasket which is not necessary, but you get the idea of how to remove your oil pan while then engine is still in the bay.

crack.thumb.jpg.bedb1257c7d56e2130fe9d1604cde98a.jpg

fixed.thumb.jpg.8c11b5de72f7f030167b1d6dc6ff4767.jpg

There are times when JB will work. This should be one of them. I'd remove all the rust etc from the area with a wire wheel on a drill. Clean area with carb cleaner. let it dry and then use the JB. Obviously the pan has to be emptied first. Make the edge of the patch as small as possible (ie feathered).

I've had to do a repair in the field (a rutted road) that put a 3 in crack in one area and a smaller hole nearby.

other than towing the car out there was no other solution.

Got rid of car 2 years later and the JB was still holding, with no leaks.

O.

JB weld is a temporary solution.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived