LegacyGT.com

ACT HD Long Term Users

Adam393

:lol: yup, I replaced my pressure plate with an aluminum one.. Gotta cut out that rotating mass!!

Since the car had both a LWCP and a LWFW it was really difficult to shift cleanly. The clutch grabbed so hard but there was so little rotating mass that it would grab and hop, and the car would shudder relentlessly. There was a very fine line between roasting the clutch and dumping it too hard making it shudder, especially on hills. With just the ACT combo installed the car is much more reasonable.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just wanted to put my story in. 06 LGT Stage 2 with the HDMM and WRX combo. Clutch has been fine until the past few weeks (doesn't seem to be disengaging reliably... it does disengage sometimes... but not at others... clutch hydraulics seem fine... still trying to figure this out.

Anyway, that said, the setup has been running since 2009... probably has like 80k on it now. I'm not a gentle driver... and have been to the drag strip a few times... it's been good to me, but I am considering the Clutchmasters (if I have to replace it to fix the problem) just to soften the pedal feel...

• 2 weeks later...

I had purchased an ACT SB5-HDMM clutch from a reseller here back in 2009, and it's been working great, until just recently. The issue I have for the past 2 weeks is that shifting has become almost impossible, as it seems that the clutch is not "releasing" fully. I have to rev-match perfectly to get anything to move at these times. Weird thing is, it changes throughout the drive - for example, last Thursday I drove into work - it was fine in the morning, but was not releasing by the time I got near my work place... so bad that even with the clutch fully depressed, releasing the brake would cause the car to pull forward (like an automatic car would)... even stopped it would struggle to keep idling (never fully stalled, fortunately).

I (and the shop the car is at now) have checked the clutch hydraulics, and they seem to be working fine. I flushed and bled the system, to no avail. There are no noises or other issues to report - just this problem. I've heard that when a clutch wears out, the engagement point gets higher on the pedal, and this is effectively "too low" on the pedal... but I'm not sure. I'm very happy with the clutch, but I'm wondering if this is something else? Any ideas?

Note that there are no other noises, and it does disengage "sometimes"... and it's quiet when this happens... so I don't think it's a jammed-spring, as at least one other ACT owner has shown (on a different thread). The carhas 115k on it now, so I figure the clutch probably has about 80k on it... not bad, honestly.

In addition, if I do need to replace the clutch (as I expect I may need to) I'm considering alternatives... primarily to reduce the pedal force. I hear the Clutchmasters might be up my alley... but I also read that every aftermarket brand seems to have its "issues"... can someone summarize what these issues might be?

For example, I've heard CMs have some chattering issues? Too soft a pedal feel? Or early failures on the FX300 (now replaced with the FX350?)... and though I had a good experience with the ACT, what am I in for now that people have had more time on them...? I know the pedal is heavy (but apparently, I and my wife are able to manage it fine)... and I guess some have had spring and other such failures... anything else?

I've been out of the game for a while here... so I just wanted to get a quick catchup, please!

Just wanted to provide an update, now that the "car saga" (as my wife called it) is over.

Car was in the shop for over a week, as we tried to figure out what was wrong. Between myself, a mechanic friend, and a good shop in my area, we all tried finding the problem. Tried flushing and bleeding the clutch hydraulics. Checked the movement of all these parts, and none of us found anything wrong. No leaks, no sticking, no bleed-by on the mechanism either. So much for hoping it was a simple fix... so into the clutch we went.

Longer story short, they ended up finding the problem: A broken pressure plate spring floating around inside. I would have thought this would cause it to never-release (as others have found, eg: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/act-lgt-hd-street-clutch-failure-206067.html )... mine released sometimes, and then not at others. Also, I'd expect a scraping noise or something, if this was jammed inside... but that didn't happen either. Weird. I didn't take any pictures of my pressure plate, as the picture in this thread was pretty much exactly what I had happen.

Anyway, problem is solved now. I switched to a Clutchmasters FX300 clutch... certainly a MUCH lighter pedal feel. Very grabby, as it grabs right off the floor... I guess this is normal for these clutches.

I can't complain too much about the ACT, as I did get 62k miles out of it (I made a mistake in my math above)... but it is disappointing to see it fail due to the spring, instead of just wearing out... probably could have gotten more out of it.

Many thanks to the shop, FasTrack Automotive in Peabody, MA (http://www.fastrackservice.com) for dealing with the troubleshooting, parts shipping delays, etc along the way... these guys are excellent and thorough in their work!

Interesting... I'm at 30k on my ACT HDSS kit and I have been frantically chasing the issue for at least 6 months now.

Symptoms:

-Inconsistent engagement

-Clutch not disengaging fully, similar to symptoms described above, though very intermittent

-Slight rattle from clutch area, only when clutch is disengaged

Failed Solutions:

-Replaced clutch slave solenoid, bled system multiple times

-Replaced ACT LWFW with OEM WRX SMFW

-Replaced pilot bearing

-Replaced throwout bearing with TSK3 kit

None of this impacted the rattle. I inspected the clutch disk and pressure plate while replacing the throwout bearing and everything looked fine. No broken springs on pressure plate, no broken springs on clutch disk. Maybe I overlooked something, but I digress.. :spin:

Honestly, I got tired of chasing the issue after the 4th time removing the trans.. :eek: I have a spare transmission in my garage, so even if I damage the trans snout if/when the clutch lets go, its not the end of the world. I will be rebuilding my spare trans shortly, so I'd like to identify/fix the clutch issue while the trans is off. Until then, fingers crossed the thing holds together :lol:

I've purchased a new ACT clutch disk, but I may let that go and get a stage2 Exedy, South Bend, or CM FX250. Peak WHP target is 300whp, possibly 350wtq. What do you guys think?

• 1 month later...
All I can say is that I love the new FX300 clutch I have in there now... excellent pedal feel and it's supposed to hold as well as the ACT. It's much grabbier than a fullface clutch, but easy to get used to (engages right off the floor). And, it's quiet... the ACT was always chattery... mine was quieter than what most report, but I could hear it. The FX300 is excellent - highly recommended!

• 1 year later...

UPDATE!

Well, in spite of all of my previous complaints, the clutch’s lifespan completely blew me away. Granted, I don’t shift hard because of the state of my transmission, but I finally wore the clutch disk on my ACT HDSS kit to the rivets after over 75,000 miles. Even now, the only reason it started slipping was due to an oil leak contaminating the clutch, and even then there was no fraying or anything of the sort. As much as I hated this clutch, I’m very impressed.

Figured I’d add my 2 cents.

UPDATE!

Well, in spite of all of my previous complaints, the clutch’s lifespan completely blew me away. Granted, I don’t shift hard because of the state of my transmission, but I finally wore the clutch disk on my ACT HDSS kit to the rivets after over 75,000 miles. Even now, the only reason it started slipping was due to an oil leak contaminating the clutch, and even then there was no fraying or anything of the sort. As much as I hated this clutch, I’m very impressed.

Figured I’d add my 2 cents.

You drove like 40,000 miles in the last year! Good mileage out of the clutch.

For the purpose of this thread, my ACT HDSS clutch has about 40k on it and it works just fine. The engagement seems a little inconsistent but the grip is good. Stage 2/3 but driven relatively gently. No launches or anything during my ownership.

You drove like 40,000 miles in the last year! Good mileage out of the clutch.

For the purpose of this thread, my ACT HDSS clutch has about 40k on it and it works just fine. The engagement seems a little inconsistent but the grip is good. Stage 2/3 but driven relatively gently. No launches or anything during my ownership.

Yea, I really drove the car hard in the time that I've had it- bought it in July of 2012 with 78k.. just rolled 161k last week :eek:

My engagement was always inconsistent, but it always held power. Like yourself, I also drove it relatively gently.. Not a single launch on the clutch.

After 57K miles on mine, one of the compression tangs broke loose and that was the end for my HDSS ACT clutch and WRX combo.

Like Nolmers, engagement was inconsistent, but held Stage 2 without issue - still think this was due to the differences in throw between the 05-06 CSC with thicker DMFW, and the 07+ CSC with thinner SMFW. Replacing the ACT setup with Spec B STI setup.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived