LegacyGT.com

Backup Warning System

turbotaz

Has anyone installed a backup warning system? I noticed that Subaru of New England puts that into cars as a port-installed option. The cost I was quoted to have it installed at the dealer was $282 labor + $221.00 parts. The sensors go into the rear bumper, and I am not thrilled about the dealer cutting the bumper, so I am thinking of going with the guardian-alert system from Sears: http://www.sensetech.com/guardianalert.htm

Any thoughts?

How about turning around and looking...

I never understood the sensor thing...it just encourages people to not look. Same with the video systems on large SUV's...just another reason to not know the size of your car, how to drive it, or where to look.

outch!....those do help with blind spots like while you are moving, such as when someone jumps infront of the rear bumper that you can't see. I wouldn't totally rely on them, but wouldn't mind having a set to HELP with blind spots :D
In Taiwan now...:spin:

on a related note, is it annoying to anyone else that you can't see the trunk or rear bumper at all from the (side or rear) mirrors?

im thinking of getting a couple of those convex mirrors and putting them on the side views

Turn around and look? The rear deck is so tall, that when parallel parking I can't really see anything but from the windshield up of the vehicle behind me. I have thought this would be nice also, and I've never understood why you'd want/need those until I had this car. I'm not complaining, as overall I'm still happy with rearward visibility, but I've noticed that for the first time ever I'm having a hard time parallel parking.

robust,

I favor canting the side/exterior rearviews far out enough that I do not get traditional blind-spots. This means that I absolutely MUST move my head to parallel-park/reverse, as I do not typically visualize any of the rear haunches of the car in my rearview, should my head remain stationary - however, it's a compromise I'm willing to make.

I'm wondering if the stickie convex mirrors will remain secure on our exterior rearview's mirror surface, as the LGT's are/can be heated..... ?

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

i was talking about moving my head, i can't see the rear deck regardless of whether i look in the mirror or turn around...

i can only see the side of the car if i stick my head out the window...

weird seat placement? i have the seat full down vertically, and almost full back horizontally (~6'1") and my hair just barely grazes the roof if i sit up straight

Convex mirrors, back up sensors, 5-Ton back up beepers, JDM pop-up bumper antennas...

All of these things scream 'I can't drive'.

I don't mean to flame but I live in a town that embraces all of the above, pretty soon they become a crutch.

Convex mirrors somehow give a driver the go-ahead not to shoulder check... and that's not right.

gireland - I thought that all passenger's side exterior mirrors are a bit convex? Thus the federal "Objects in Mirror Are Losing" statement etched into each one?

;)

I don't see an additional mirror as a crutch, it's just supplementary aid, an additional tool which, when properly used, adds another layer of safety to the overall scheme. One could, though, I guess, argue this point the other way, and argue 'till we're each blue in the face. :)

I have my mirrors set so that even without moving my head, I don't get the *usual* blind spots - however, this does not eliminate all blind spots, so active head and eye movements are *always* on the up-and-up for me.

--------

robust - I'm just south of 6'-even. I'm nowhere near the headliner, even with the Ltd.'s moonroof. I have a feeling that my seating position is much different from yours, though. I'm full-down in the rear of the cushion, front is full up (I like ample forward thigh support). The seat's back is reclined just so that the headrest and upper back shows beyond the B-pillar on the outside. This gives me enough to be reclined comfortably for daily driving, but my arms are nicely cocked at 3 and 9, and sufficiently so for leverage at 12, and my legs are close enough to the pedals that I can fully and firmly left-foot brake (I was taught, whether correctly or incorrectly, at one point, that this is a proper test for having sufficient leverage for the clutch).

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

i can put my feet to the floor behind the pedals, i dont hit the roof sitting normally but the roof to the lateral side of the moonroof will graze my head if i lean forward to check out the front window.

and the convex mirror wouldnt be intended for use during driving, only parking so i can see my rear. things are so damn small, using them for driving would be scary.

robust,

I'm closer to the headliner than I originally thought. I just again looked today, and add a half-inch of upper body, I'd likely be right there with you.

I'll have to see if I can replicate your head-grazing when leaning forward, but from recall, I don't believe that this is a problem for me.

Wish I had an easy solution for you, bro.

:)

-A

Archived