LegacyGT.com

1998 Legacy 2.2L timing jumped, engine gone, help with replacement

update:

Got everything put back in and hooked up, a 2000 rs2.5 oem exhaust manifold did work, but it had no heat shields which i don't like but i'll live with it.

When i did start the engine, it was ridiculously loud but I only ran it for roughly 10 minutes so I'm wondering if the combo of no heat shields plus not being run for who knows how long would have made it this loud.

It's also running at roughly 1100-1200 rpms the whole time.

I hooked up the vacuum lines

top of Throttle body to top of solenoid under the intake.

Sensor on tower to filter.

Filter to lower fitting on solenoid under intake.

Also teed off that previous mentioned line ^^ after the filter and routed to back passenger side of Intake mani fitting AND to regulator on fuel rail.

Any thoughts on where i could have went wrong or could have missed a fitting somewhere?

anything could help

the last 95 i installed was so loud i was sure i had just wasted my money and time on a junk engine. i let it idle for an hour and it got quiet. now it is a great engine.

i also ran a bottle of MMO in the oil for a 1000 miles and then changed the oil and filter.

Okay,

Fixed the multiple exhaust leaks which brought down the idle to where it needed to be.

Then changed the oil and used a heavier oil and half a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer.

I then have had it running for a total of about 20 mins, but it's only been idling.

It still sounds loud, by loud i mean it really sounds like a hardcore valve tick, maybe even getting close to a valve slap. Funny part about it is that it seriously only sounds like 1 valve or 1 side of the engine.

any thoughts on what could be done?

any thoughts on what could be done?

give it time. some folks think the way to free up, pump up a stuck HLA is to go for a spirited drive. i prefer time , letting it idle.

you will not notice it getting quieter. but at some point you will say, that doesn't sound too bad.

worst case, you replace a couple of hydraulic lash adjusters. but wait, it will get better.

A stuck HLA may need to be swapped out with a good one. If it is completely collapsed even the most spirited drive won't fix it. A new one is only $8-10. You can always try to bleed them. I have pics of HLAs here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/engine-clicking-fix-replace-kill-firei-191227.html

But like johnegg says, it may just get better. In fact, it may just come and go.

Well sadly i would love to wait but i have about 6 people lining up to buy this car right now but i want it running in tip top shape.

I think i'll call my local dealership tomorrow and see if they stock the HLA'S

Also, thanks for the video, thats exactly what mine sounds like so i know that has to be the issue

question, at my work (an auto parts store) I looked up a 1995 2.2L HLA, then I looked up a 1998 2.2L HLA and there was no listing for it, does that mean I can't use the ones off my 98?

I then reverse-crossed the number to see what vehicles it fits and it listed only 94-96 subaru 2.2L's

I figure that means I can't interchange the ones from my 98 onto this 95 ej22.

Which sucks as the ones from the 98 never made a sound...

you guys are the experts....what's the verdict? interchangeable or no?

never mind,

A little bit of research has shown me that subaru quit using HLA's in 1996, therefore leading to the conclusion that my non-existent 1998 HLA's will NOT work on my 95 engine.

Sorry for the bit of stupid

But on a good note, order 4 new HLA's through work, had them over nighted from our warehouse and this issue will hopefully be resolved tomorrow.

horse power . all of the changes in the late 90s were driven by more power. pistons, lash adjuster, interference, even exhaust ports, but i don't understand that one. and at some point the engineers decided that the ej22 would not be able to deliver what they needed and the retired it.

i fault subaru for not using the smaller engine and making a more fuel efficient car. but they are still all about ''bigger is better'' which has driven the US market for 75? years. but they are too small a company to do it all and mid to high 20s were good numbers until '08. now even the US companies are making efficient cars. (and still guzzlers too.)

it will be interesting to see what happens to the industry as the economy improves. will the US forget and start buying big again? or have we learned our lesson and the small efficient car is here to stay?

Archived