LegacyGT.com

Help with Morettes (can't get Highs to work)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea i have them hooked up exactly as shown. I guess I will buy one of the adapters and give it a shot.

Hi sti - I'm the designer and builder of those adapters that are being retailed over at SL-i.net. (More info here: http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24288&start=30) As much as I'd love to have another set sold, I'm concerned by the problems you are already experiencing, and that they may not be much help in your case. The adapters were designed for the standard JDM halogen projectors. Although I believe they are a very well-produced product for a plug-and-play conversion from USDM to JDM projectors, they have not been tested with HIDs nor Morrette headlights. I'm not even familiar with the connector on Morrettes... I had the impression that it is quite different than the standard JDM connector. If you were able to post some clear close-up images of the Morrette connectors and the HID system in general, maybe we can help determine if that would be $60 well-spent or not :)

Hi sti - I'm the designer and builder of those adapters that are being retailed over at SL-i.net. (More info here: http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24288&start=30) As much as I'd love to have another set sold, I'm concerned by the problems you are already experiencing, and that they may not be much help in your case. The adapters were designed for the standard JDM halogen projectors. Although I believe they are a very well-produced product for a plug-and-play conversion from USDM to JDM projectors, they have not been tested with HIDs nor Morrette headlights. I'm not even familiar with the connector on Morrettes... I had the impression that it is quite different than the standard JDM connector. If you were able to post some clear close-up images of the Morrette connectors and the HID system in general, maybe we can help determine if that would be $60 well-spent or not :)

Thanks camroncamera. One of the main issues is that the Morrette's did not have the connector on them when i purchased them (used obviously), just a power and ground coming from each bulb (low beam bulb and high beam bulb) Used my factory blinker assembly (slight non-electrical modification needed).

I dont think the HID kit helps with the simplicity of it, having a bunch of extra wires never helps. I will have some of my car stereo specialty guys look at it and see what they can find out.

Do you guys see any issue with trying a bigger fuse? Obviously its a 20A? (dont remember what size for sure on the HLs) for a reason, is it going to risk or damage any other components by using a bigger fuse?

using a bigger fuse lets the burn point go higher, and may allow wires to get hotter than you want them to get. ive used bigger fuses in things in an emergency like putting a 30A in my headlight fuse to have lights to see and such, as well as doing dumb things (coat hanger across my 30A main to get my motorcycle home, 16g wire across the fusible link in my old chevy 4x4 to get out of a canyon) in extreme situations. i wouldnt recommend using that as the solution tho, better to figure out what is failing and fix it. oh ya, relays do wear out and fail, you could have a bad one in there doing the switch, or you could have both high and low engaging at the same time, where there isnt enough power to support both light circuits at the same time.

Thanks, I will definitely try that. Sorry to be a nuisance, just wasn't sure where to go. Got a lot of good info from you guys though. I will post results and hopefully if I get it solved make a little diagram for the futute Morette owners :D

that makes sense... what am I missing here? How would i wire it so that the low beams turn off when i turn the high beams on?

edit: oops, wrong pic. not sure where the right one went, brb

im back! hey! look what i found!

http://www.mindspring.com/~latvia/Other/Morettewirediagram1Labeled.jpg

The morrettes did not come with any relays other than the ones for the hid kit. I guess we will have to try installing them without the HID kit and then install the kit once it is working properly. I'll snap a pic or two later on and post them up

I'm confused... I put the pics up here because you said this thread was useless without pics and wanted to see the headlights on my car... then I post them and its gone to crap? lol

The lights look terrific on your car, but if you were able to post some clear close-up images of your connections and the HID system in general, maybe we can help solve this problem :) Also, I know a couple wiring diagrams have been posted, can you draw your exact setup and post that?

I will be getting the needed relays this week or next week and hopefully going to tackle a new attempt soon. If the diagram doesn't work, i will draw out a diagram of how we currently have it set up and see what you guys can come up with

The lights look terrific on your car, but if you were able to post some clear close-up images of your connections and the HID system in general, maybe we can help solve this problem :) Also, I know a couple wiring diagrams have been posted, can you draw your exact setup and post that?

Archived