LegacyGT.com

Transmission whine?

I think I've read a couple of threads about this, but I wanted to just check in and make sure:

Is it or is it nor normal for the transmission to be audible in the first couple of gears? The last thread I remember seeing said it had something to do with the length of gear teeth somewhere in the gearbox.

The only reason I ask is that I got the car back from an oil change, and during my '27 point free inspection', it was noted 'transmission whine, due to abuse'... despite the fact that:

a) It's been doing it since I bought it

b) I was under the impression this was normal

c) There was NO WAY anyone could have made such an assumption based on driving the car for 5 minutes.

I just need to know how hard to come down on the dealership for making such an assinine leap of logic.

I'd at least dispute the 'due to abuse' comment. I can see that comment potentially biting you down the road if you need any warranty work. How do they know the tranny whine is 'due to abuse'?

Mine has always been whiny as well (since new). I'd rather equate it to being natural for an "industrial transmission." Just cuz' I like to remind myself that it's stronger than the rex. :D

-JGR

I'd say a bit of whine from Scoobys is normal.....

I'd debate the dealership's notation, and get them to remove it from ALL of their records pertaining to you/your car - fearing potential warranty claim denials down the road. :(

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

"... due to abuse"? What a bunch of asswagons. My car's been doing it since it was new, and if anything, it's gotten quieter since then.

I can see it now - "Transmission sounds abnormally quiet, due to abuse." :rolleyes:

I'd be very pissed if they did that. You can't tell if its from abuse without A) witnessing the abuse or B) tearing it apart unl;ess the abuse is not following the service interval or continuing to drive it when you KNOW it has a problem.

In addition to bringing it up with them, I'd inquire as to their service tech being SOA certified, if it's for this model, and get the tech's name. Then call up SOA and complain about the treatment, diagnosis, and ask them if this sort of half-assed diagnostic is what they offer in official SOA training or if the service manager is lying through his teeth.

I called the service manager and he was rather appalled, and said he'd deal with it. The dealership I bought the car from is a combination Subaru/Cadillac dealer, and it's possible that he just had a Cadillac tech or someone who doesn't know the new Legacies at all do the oil change and rotation (because really, that's all it was in for, and anyone can do that).

But if that's the case, it's even more inexusable that the tech would have the nerve to tell me that a) something is wrong, and that b) It is my fault, after driving the car for 3 miles.

He probably just heard my stock BOV recirculate with the perrin short ram and thought 'Well this here boy done modified his car, he's done TORE IT UP!'

Asswagon sums it up precisely.

Archived