LegacyGT.com

Door trim piece ruined by glass company, any ideas?

morrias

Here's the story, I had the rear drivers side window replaced about 2 weeks ago. When they gave me the car back I looked at the windows and it looked like a perfect fit. What I just saw today sitting in my back seat looking at the door angers me to no end. Take a look at the pic. They damaged the silver trim piece on the end of the handle, and PAINTED it some cheap krylon silver which doesn't match. Also note the gouges in the leather, and the overspray of the silver onto the window button. I'm going in tommorrrow to try to make them replace the door panel. NEVER again am I going to this place.. they never even mentioned they did that. If they don't pay, any ideas how much a door panel/plastic parts cost?

Thanks!

434637186_doortrim(Medium).jpg.79e2218849a9bb116e476be1cf4aaa57.jpg

My .02

take it up with the repair shop 1st. if they don't do precisely as you request, turn to your insurance co. i'm assuming they paid, right? if so, this shop may be a 'preferred' shop in the eyes of your insr co and therefore they may be able to bring some heat to bear.

oh man! that would piss me off to no end too. First I hope they just take care of it and replace what needs to be replaced. Second ... If not, get a lawyer! No way that shouldn't be taken care of.

Get a 200+ dollar an hour lawyer for a $50 door peice? Not likely, maybe small claims court at the most. But yeah that looks like they had no idea as to how to get the door pannel off and just went at it.... That sucks man.... I'm not quite sure what would piss me off the most, the fact that it was done, the fact that it was done and they didnt say anyting, or the fact that it was done and they did a sh*tty job trying to cover it up and didn't say a damn thing. There is no way they can deny that, it's plane as day.

This is why i do all my car stereo installs, this stuff happens all the time.

Wow - talk about not knowing what you're doing. These guys must have went to the school where they teach you things like, 'use a meat mallet as a hammer'. or 'use plaster to cover up your mistakes'.

That's just incredible that they wouldn't mention it, let alone how gawful the repair work they used to try and cover it up. Seems their goal was to get you out of the shop without a "fuss" but the real fuss is about to begin and now you're irate.

Before I take it in to them, I'd get your own estimate of how much it would cost to replace the piece (time and materials) so you know how much you're talking about to do fix their mistake. Then, I'd present them with a bill for the repair. Tell them you want a check or cash and no they cannot have the car to repair since you 1) don't trust them, and 2) you don't want you car any more messed up.

Don't take no for an answer and tell them that you've discussed this with your attorney. If they stiff you on it, get it fixed yourself and take them to small claims court, where you'll put in a claim for the time/materials, lost time that you've had waste getting this resolved, attorney's fees if any and cost of filing.

Also, let your insurance company know that the car was materially damaged by the installer/glass company, especially if the insurance company recommended the glass company and/or paid for the repair.

Keep us posted on how it comes out.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The entire door panel must be replaced. If I remember correctly, that part is permanantly attached to the door panel during assembly. Odds are good that they broke it off completely & glued it on -- you'll find it coming off in a few weeks at most.

Good ideas from everyone. I"m going to call up subaru today and get a parts/labor quote, call the insurance company, and then see about going to the glass guys.

How the heck are you supposed to remove the door anyways?

Update: I spoke with the store manager who wanted to send some guy out to color match the paint and try a repair. I refused and told him I wanted a new door. He gave me all sorts of lines aout how the trim can get damaged from daily use, and they know how to take doors off, etc. Finally he just gave me the owner's name andphone number and told me to call him if I wanted a new panel. I did, and the owner talked to the manager, called me back, and it looks like they're going to pay for it to be repaired at a dealership. I'm glad they finally decided to make things right. The moral of the story is that you'll have less upset customers if you're honest about mistakes rather than covering them up :)

Does anyone know how much the black handle pieces cost to replace? Mine are getting pretty weak from multiple removals/installations. I might need to buy new ones, soon.

I think before I take my car into the install shop on Thursday, I am going to get the door panel completely ready to remove, so they don't have to mess with that handle and break it.

G'day Morrias,

I litterally take door trims off for a living as you know I've been a window tinter for nearly 30 years and i can tell exactly by your photo that the bod who attempted to remove the surround was barking up the wrong tree when he started.

Those marks appear to be gouge marks done by a screwdriver.

This is the wrond area to start removing the trim! Fact! (I presume a Subaru dealer never did this right?)

What he should have done was to remove the actual vertical grab handle first as there are 2 screws one at the top and one at the bottom.

But this s.o.b bit of plastic is one real mutha to remove also without damaging it.

I'll post some pictures over later tonight our time and show you how it should be done.

Cheers,

Rob.

Unfortunately you can't just buy a handle, you have to replace the entire panel; it's one piece. They run about $170 on subaruparts.com.

They don't even carry that front black plastic pice that makes up the 2-piece handle separately? I know the door panel is all one piece, but it doesn't make sense to not have those two black pieces separate, since they are the most likely components to break.

Guys,

Here is the most difficult part of the removal to do without damaging the grab handle and its surround.

The trick is to get something like a "thin plastic hard card" I use in tinting to lever in between door and surround at the top and pop it out towards you.

If you look closely you will see that the handle has a small tit bit at the top and one at the bottom which is a lot bigger and 2-3 plastic home clips that hold it in place.

My yellow card doesn't mark the door moulding and I'd never suggest a screwdriver to lever it out either.

To put it back in, simply sit the bottom in first to the hole, and snap the whole handle unit with a push straight in. It clicks in place.

Enjoy the education.

Rob

Car Tint

Melbourne

OZ.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2671/gttrimremoval33cc.jpg

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/8676/gttrimremoval22pm.jpg

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3187/gttrimremoval13un.jpg

Guys,

Here is the most difficult part of the removal to do without damaging the grab handle and its surround.

The trick is to get something like a "thin plastic hard card" I use in tinting to lever in between door and surround at the top and pop it out towards you.

If you look closely you will see that the handle has a small tit bit at the top and one at the bottom which is a lot bigger and 2-3 plastic home clips that hold it in place.

My yellow card doesn't mark the door moulding and I'd never suggest a screwdriver to lever it out either.

To put it back in, simply sit the bottom in first to the hole, and snap the whole handle unit with a push straight in. It clicks in place.

Enjoy the education.

Rob

Car Tint

Melbourne

OZ.

That's a great tutorial! Maybe you should post a copy in the Walk Through section so it doesn't get lost?

• 1 month later...
Leo, are you looking to replace the factory silver trim? These door trim pieces match the center console trim pieces (sides of shifter up to below cubby) from europe. I'm not sure off the top of my head if the plater surrounding the shifter is matche too or not, but I would think not based on that the "wood" doesn't match that trim either.

Leonardo, they have "amber" and "brown" door trim, console trim, shift area trim, vent trim, door grab handle trim, door opener handle trim, and console trim. Door handle, grab handle, vents are about $150-155 shipped (estimated) per "set" of two.

I'll try and get those up in the parts database/shop tomorrow, and any other options that have come up recently.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com | http://www.sevenphotos.com | http://www.scoobymag.com

Archived