LegacyGT.com

Need an estimate asap

so a lady from Ontario hit my car in a very weird way, while parking. The good part is that she left her phone number, the problem is that she's leaving to Toronto early tomorrow so I can't get an estimate from Subaru.

Now the bumper isn't bent as far as I can tell, but maybe I'm wrong.

The paint is bad enough to repaint.

I'm wondering if anyone dealt with something similar or have an idea how much it would cost to fix this (paint + fixing if necessary) ?

here's how it looks now :(

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/4903/img69442gy.jpg

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2461/img69450hu.jpg

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8057/img69466hz.jpg

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1297/img69476vq.jpg

anything appreciated.

Reskin bumper, repair fender, respray and blend. You're looking at about 1,200 bucks (USD) in my estimation.

Edit: My estimate might be a little high. I am making an assumption that the front bumper will be a little more to reskin than a rear bumper, and that it will be more expensive since the cars are newer (fewer aftermarket options to drive price down). It could also end up being more if the damage in any way warrants replacing the Fender.

Bare minimum though ... you're looking at $7-800.

wow so it will cost about 2k, wouldnt be cheaper if I buy a new bumper?

the lady said she'll give me cash, so no insurace is involved. but since she was nice and left her phone number, do you think I should go easy on her? I know I sound rediculous but it happened to me before, some ppl hit the car and just left, so I think she deserves some credit. anyone agrees?

No. Get a real estimate. Also, as my brother-in-law found out 2 weeks ago, leaving information is no guarantee. The guy left all false information and the plates turned out to be bogus or stolen or something. Guy got away ... great.

Anything over 1500 is really high unless you're replacing the fender. My estimate is including a new bumper skin and painting. I think 1200 is pretty safe.

Breakdown:

new skin: 200 - 300

10-14 hours @ $60/hr: 600 - 840

10-14 hours @ $80/hr: 800 - 1120

This mostly covers it, as I've padded some of it for cost of paint and such. The skin is assumed to be unpainted and available. I'd be surprised if after a year on the market the skin isn't available.

For those guessing over 1,500 - how are you arriving at this figure?

It will cost a lot!

My roommate had a tiny scratch on his RSX rear bumper, way smaller than happened to you, and he was quoted a little over $1000 for it. The girl who scratched it wanted to pay upfront, but the price was so high, she ended up going the insurance route. Part of the reason the price was so high was because he went to a premium auto shop who did excellent repairs.

Anyways, good luck with figuring everything out.

-ben

My Eclipse got hit in the rear bumper recently, and was no where near as bad looking as yours. I got an estimate from a quality shop with a lifetime warranty on the paint- important since cheap paint jobs often fade or peel after only a few years. Just under $1300.

Jason K.

Guest clawdnb
i paid 1300 to get the front bumper reskinned/painted/cleared and to get a rear bumper painted/cleared for my 2002 sentra thru maacos, lol....im sure you are looking at atleast 1500 from a decent shop

The rear bumper on my GFs Malibu was hit a few weeks ago. There was no damage asige from scratching the hell out of it. The estimate for repainting the 1 piece was $480. I would say that $1200-1400 USD would be appropriate.

okay so went this morning to my Subaru's body shop, he said it will be about CDN $1000. now since the lady agreed to give me $450 cash. I'm going the insurance way. I'll try to argue about the accident and how it wasn't my fault so the primium wont go up. If this works out, i'll have 450$ to spend on other goodies.

I'll let you know what happens with insurance.

okay so went this morning to my Subaru's body shop, he said it will be about CDN $1000. now since the lady agreed to give me $450 cash. I'm going the insurance way. I'll try to argue about the accident and how it wasn't my fault so the primium wont go up. If this works out, i'll have 450$ to spend on other goodies.

I'll let you know what happens with insurance.

Hold on, I'm a bit confused. The damage is CDN $1K, but she's only going to give you $450? Go to HER insurance, and have them pay for it, and forget about the $450. If you take the $450, you "might" get hit with a deductible from your insurance company (my car was once parked in a parking lot, got hit, and I had to pay a deductible because it was still part of a "collision").

If I were in your shoes, I'd contact her and tell her what the total estimate is, and if she won't pay YOU that, I'd call her insurance company.....and if she refuses to give you the ins company name/#, I'd call the cops on her.

+1.

Show her your official quote and ask her to pay the full amount.

450.00 will barely cover the paint.

If she refuses and goes through her insurance to cover the damage it will cost her way more than 1000.00 in increased premiums over the next few years.

It's her choice but you shouldn't be hammered for a deductible either way, especially as it was 100% her fault.

At least that is the way it works in BC with our insurance...

Best of luck!

damn.. where do you guys go for body work? I went to a nice place that did decent work for my 97 eclipse, had the rear bumper skin replace, new hatch (reused old glass), new taillights, and it was only $2100. Granted this was about 5 years ago and at a special rate on labor, but their bumper paint held up fine, all the work was quality and still going strong after 5 years.

swing by an autobody shop for a quick estimate.

I'd say it would be optimistic to suggest anything under $1k. I suspect the $1200 estimates are going to be in the right neighborhood unless the fender is bent any.

Archived