LegacyGT.com

Clutch / Transmission issue. Bad noises...

• Moderators

Output bearing? That's an easy fix I think and would make noise based on road speed. Send a PM to thefultonhow, I know he's done that in the past and could offer advice.

It's a job you do with the trans still in the car, FYI.

And that mechanic sounds dumb :p Did he offer to buy the old transmission off of you for a couple bucks if you let him change it out? :rolleyes:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

What fluid is in there ? Extra-S or something else ?

Whatever factory fluid was / whatever Subaru put in when they replaced the clutch / case. I haven't touched it...

Output bearing? That's an easy fix I think and would make noise based on road speed. Send a PM to thefultonhow, I know he's done that in the past and could offer advice.

It's a job you do with the trans still in the car, FYI.

And that mechanic sounds dumb :p Did he offer to buy the old transmission off of you for a couple bucks if you let him change it out? :rolleyes:

I have no idea. From what I have read sounds like a bearing in the center diff, but that's the extent of my knowledge... I called the dealer and asked about replacing that bearing and he said they would need to split the case. Called a local Subie shop (Motive) and he said the same. But that's all based on my self-diagnosis of the center diff bearing...

I would love to hear that it's something easier but I'm not optimistic.

Not being in the car, its hard for us to tell exactly. We're all guessing.

Yeah I understand. Any suggestions for things I can do to diagnose? I think I will pick it up from joe-blow mechanic tomorrow and limp home (less than a mile), then potentially get it towed to the dealer with AAA...

I have also reached out to forum member Underdog since he lives only one town over from me. That would be a better option than the dealer (assuming he's up for it), but part of me is holding out a little hope that Subaru will help cover it since the dealer replaced the frigging tranny 30k miles ago...

As long as we're all guessing, I say the passenger side front wheel bearing. That noise radiates through the axle to the center sometimes. Get all the wheels off the ground, get the speedo up to about 50mph, push in the clutch, shut off the engine, and listen while the wheels spin.

• Moderators

Center diff you would need to open up the trans--if it was just the output bearing you just remove the tail housing. As above, could also be a wheel bearing.

^^edit: that's bad info, listen to TFH below :)

Since Rick is just a town over, honestly just drag it over there and do what he says. If someone like him lived a town away from me I would probably start paying to have work done!

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• I Donated
Center diff you would need to open up the trans--if it was just the output bearing you just remove the tail housing. As above, could also be a wheel bearing.

Actually, the center diff is in the tail housing (you have to remove it to do the tailshaft bearings -- and actually, I think one of the bearings is around it).

How many miles? My 05 started whirring around 110k, IIRC. That seems to be the general mileage for when the tailshaft bearings start to go out.

Tailshaft bearings are a (relatively) easy fix, FWIW. Any Subaru shop worth their salt has probably seen the issue and fixed it on several cars. Took me a lot longer than it should have, because I didn't realize the linkage came apart basically all the way, so I rounded off a bolt and had to spend like 3 hours grinding it off. It still took me less than a day total, IIRC, and that included bringing the bearings in to work so I could use a press.

Actually, the center diff is in the tail housing (you have to remove it to do the tailshaft bearings -- and actually, I think one of the bearings is around it).

How many miles? My 05 started whirring around 110k, IIRC. That seems to be the general mileage for when the tailshaft bearings start to go out.

Tailshaft bearings are a (relatively) easy fix, FWIW. Any Subaru shop worth their salt has probably seen the issue and fixed it on several cars. Took me a lot longer than it should have, because I didn't realize the linkage came apart basically all the way, so I rounded off a bolt and had to spend like 3 hours grinding it off. It still took me less than a day total, IIRC, and that included bringing the bearings in to work so I could use a press.

Thanks for the info everybody, very much appreciated.

The car has 137k miles IIRC.

Your post has me a little more optimistic that I won't need to replace the entire tranny as the local shop told me... I am very much not a mechanic, so apologies in advance for my ignorance, but I understand from reading a few more forums that the tailshaft bearing noise is more towards the rear of the car and is RPM within certain gears specific more than speed specific. What makes you think this over the center diff bearing? Either way, it sounds like the center diff bearing and the tailshaft bearings are both accessible without having to remove the entire transmission which I suppose is good news...

Assuming it is the center diff and/or the tailshaft bearings--any idea if this is something that will get much worse if I keep driving on it and could cause more significant damage and/or end up with the car breaking down while my wife is driving to work?

• I Donated
I am very much not a mechanic, so apologies in advance for my ignorance, but I understand from reading a few more forums that the tailshaft bearing noise is more towards the rear of the car and is RPM within certain gears specific more than speed specific. What makes you think this over the center diff bearing?

It is speed specific. The tailshaft is after the transmission, which means there is a relatively direct connection between it and the rear wheels, but there's a transmission in between it and the engine. If it were between the transmission and the engine, the noise would vary with RPM, but since it's after the transmission, it varies with vehicle speed.

The thing that makes me think it's the bearings in that area is that they do tend to fail around that mileage, and there are no other common failure points in the vicinity. It is possible that the issue is a wheel bearing, but if a mechanic has listened with the car on a lift and diagnosed the noise as coming from the transmission area and not a wheel, wheel bearings don't make sense.

Assuming it is the center diff and/or the tailshaft bearings--any idea if this is something that will get much worse if I keep driving on it and could cause more significant damage and/or end up with the car breaking down while my wife is driving to work?

I wouldn't let it go indefinitely, but waiting several months should not pose a problem. The worst that happens is the bearings totally disintegrate, the ball bearings inside them go into the transmission, and the gears get destroyed. However, that can only happen on one of the four bearings (the other ones have roller bearings in a metal casing, IIRC, and those are much less likely to fall apart), and the bearings need to be REALLY worn out for that to happen, not just a little noisy. I'd say you're probably fine for at least a few months.

Archived