LegacyGT.com

2008 Spec.B 56k Miles - Under 15k

Kevzaz

you call that wrong offset wheel with weird alignments?

looks like any other everyday, boring, run of the mill wheels

wrong offset to you is anything that's above 35 on a 10" wide wheel with 225's on them.... :rolleyes:

It's unfortunate because it would be a nice car. I called about it car this past weekend. I was 98% sure that it had a salvage title, but I had to hear it from the dealer. My condolences to anyone willing to bite on a flood damaged car. Even if it seems fine when you buy it, you're going to end up replacing every single wire in the entire car by the time you're done with it.

The reason it has 56k miles is because it sat out in a lot for a long time not being driven after it was deemed too costly to repair by the insurance company. It probably had animals living in it for a few months and perhaps still has black mold in the nether regions.

• Moderators
The reason it has 56k miles is because it sat out in a lot for a long time not being driven after it was deemed too costly to repair by the insurance company. It probably had animals living in it for a few months and perhaps still has black mold in the nether regions.

There's no "reason" that it has 56k miles--that's a completely average number of miles for an '08.

I think he was referring to the fact that the damage appears to have happened when the car had only 500 miles on it, and therefore the car has been running for ~55k miles since.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

There's no "reason" that it has 56k miles--that's a completely average number of miles for an '08.

I think he was referring to the fact that the damage appears to have happened when the car had only 500 miles on it, and therefore the car has been running for ~55k miles since.

Touche. I didn't put the year/mileage together. Oops.

Every car is different, but I was forced to help rebuild salvage cars of various total-losses in my youth against my will. In my "one man's" personal experience, even if it has racked up decent mileage since the incident, that doesn't indicate that those miles were trouble-free or that the hidden corrosion in the wire insulation isn't about to finally eat through.

The best time to own a flood rebuilt car, IMHO, is within the first 2-3 years after the rebuild. Immediately noticeable and correctable problems have been fixed so that it appears good enough to sell. After that, systems frequently become like an old British sports car. You never know what you're going to get when you turn the key. Joints that had grease washed out will become apparent, one of the speakers will stop working intermittently, the radio will start turning on/off randomly, traction control starts kicking in at weird times, the tach will start jumping, the ECU will adjust to incorrect signals from distant wires that have become high resistance. And it all happens a few years after everything seemed perfectly fine.

It's entirely possible to get a decent rebuilt car, but the odds are against it, especially with sneaky hidden flood damage. At least with a collision total-loss, you can usually straighten the frame to the point of being able to align the wheels and get the mechanics back to order. Flood damage cars are like a haunted house.

Having said that, it could be perfectly fine. Just a few things to consider if it is actually in perfect shape .... food for thought really.

1. Depending on your level of coverage and which state you're in, some insurance companies refuse much beyond liability with rebuilt titles. If they do offer coverage, the cost can negate any savings in the price of the car.

2. Lenders don't like to loan against salvaged titles. Not a problem for those of us that pay in cash, except for #3 below

3. If you ever go to sell the car, it has a salvage title. That can be a problem finding the right potential buyer. Potential buyers will have difficulty with loans and insurance. If a buyer is from out of state, some states make it hard to register salvaged vehicles and require their own specific inspection and clearance that can take a month or more, even if it has been on public roads for years and was previously cleared in a different state.

.... just throwing that out there.

I checked this car out and test drove it. It drove awesome and seemed alright but every car on their lot is water damaged. It was flooded when it was brand new and some kid had it but went short on money so he sold it back to them or whatever. I'd take it in a heart beat but like alpine stars said I'm staying away from the salvage title.

Still for sale... <shocked face>.

Clearly such an incredible steal that no one has bought it after weeks. Google returns 2008 spec B's with clean titles that have sold in the $17's and 2007's that sold (or are currently for sale) in the $16's (asking price). And those are unmolested cars. Considering this has been tinkered with and most new owners would probably replace the wheels/tires, this car wouldn't even be the deal-of-the century at $3k less than 'good deals' on comparable unmolested cars even if it had a clean title.

I'm amused by this car and the dealer. He seems nice enough and he'll tell you straight about the salvage title, but only if you ask directly. Then he'll brush it off as if it's just a piece of paper.

Still for sale... <shocked face>.

Clearly such an incredible steal that no one has bought it after weeks. Google returns 2008 spec B's with clean titles that have sold in the $17's and 2007's that sold (or are currently for sale) in the $16's (asking price). And those are unmolested cars. Considering this has been tinkered with and most new owners would probably replace the wheels/tires, this car wouldn't even be the deal-of-the century at $3k less than 'good deals' on comparable unmolested cars even if it had a clean title.

I'm amused by this car and the dealer. He seems nice enough and he'll tell you straight about the salvage title, but only if you ask directly. Then he'll brush it off as if it's just a piece of paper.

Im surprised he is this arrogant about this. Most states require you to disclose a salvage title at time of sale. So more power to him, but one of these cars will probably come back on him one day.

Archived