LegacyGT.com

Replacing the Turbo

My GF tells people, that the car and I are attached at the hip.

Thankfully she understands.

:lol:;)

Mine too.

Isn't life great when you have someone who understands you. :) Life is good.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated
I would go for the VF52 as well. Or you can buy my 16G. :lol: The 18G is more for top-end power; the VF52 and 16G are less laggy but have lower top-end. You also need fuel mods to take advantage of the 18G; otherwise you just have the power of a 16G with more lag.

• I Donated
^^how much for that 16g?

It's not off the car yet, but I will probably be asking $625 OBO. 23k miles. Only problem with it is one of the IC flange bolt holes is stripped, but I will provide a longer bolt and nut that I've used successfully to prevent leaks in that area. It recently went back to BNR, where Bryan checked its condition (and gave it a clean bill of health) as well as pre-emptively replaced the bearings with new, improved ones. Some shaft play, but Bryan says that it is well within spec.

I will post something more formal once it's off my car (probably this weekend).

I would go for the VF52 as well. Or you can buy my 16G. :lol: The 18G is more for top-end power; the VF52 and 16G are less laggy but have lower top-end. You also need fuel mods to take advantage of the 18G; otherwise you just have the power of a 16G with more lag.

Sounds like a 16g is the way to go. In this state, you can be arrested for 6800 rpm in third:lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Sounds like a 16g is the way to go.

OEM fitment.

OEM fueling.

Bump in power.

Not much extra work.

What more do you want to know Robin? You already know 18g+ requires fueling which means more $ when what you really like is low end TQ. Is e85 available in your area? If you ever got bored and wanted you could add fp/injectors and e85 tune and smoke a 18g on pump with a 16g on e85.

When the time comes to replace the turbo on the OBXT I will be going 16g size turbo.

You could always get another OEM turbo and go another 120k miles:p

OEM fitment.

OEM fueling.

Bump in power.

Not much extra work.

What more do you want to know Robin? You already know 18g+ requires fueling which means more $ when what you really like is low end TQ. Is e85 available in your area? If you ever got bored and wanted you could add fp/injectors and e85 tune and smoke a 18g on pump with a 16g on e85.

When the time comes to replace the turbo on the OBXT I will be going 16g size turbo.

You could always get another OEM turbo and go another 120k miles:p

E85 is rare around here. I guess I just wanted to confirm what I pretty much already decided:redface:

I was kinda hoping that some 16G owners would chime in, in terms of tuning requirements and satisfaction with the mod..

It gets down to fast versus quick. I prefer quick:lol:;)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Anything 20g down is quicker than faster.

IMO the 18g is kinda silly for this car. While it is a power bump from a 16g I do not think it warrants the extra costs of fueling when you could have a 20g with fueling. Make it worth the bump or keep the money for something that actually matters to you.

I thought the 18g was pretty awesome from riding back seat... And I quote "That car is stupid fast."

I'm curious about the 16g vs. 18g discussion - I'm interested in an upgrade this summer if possible, but I'll leave that to my researching the BNR thread.

I kinda like my 18g :)

I'm sure you do, and I think WPMarky's e85 18g setup was freaking INSANE but do but do you disagree with my logic? Its not about poo-poo'ing a 18g. Its about $/hp while keeping a nice meaty and drive able power band.

I thought the 18g was pretty awesome from riding back seat... And I quote "That car is stupid fast." I'm curious about the 16g vs. 18g discussion - I'm interested in an upgrade this summer if possible, but I'll leave that to my researching the BNR thread.

16g vs 18g As jase says, a little spool vs a little power. Most major difference imo? The cost since an 18g requires fueling to really make it worth it.

16g vs 20g. A little more spool for a power jump. Most major difference imo? The cost value of making fueling "worth it".

Stage 2 best bang for buck evar

Stage 3 16g a little more spendy but makes you wish it was how it came OEM

Stage 3.5 18g is as not cost effective vs Stage 3.5 20g $/hp.

^ I certainly do agree with your logic! The 18g demands additional supporting mods, which make the cost so much higher than the 16g.

To piggy back on what you said, there is no better upgrade dollar for dollar, than stage 2. It's amazing. Stage 0 to Stage 2 is a much more satisfied feel than a well tune stage 2, to most stage 3 setups. Dont get me wrong, i feel and love my 18g, and there is a noteworthy difference... However, it's not that jaw drop difference that you get coming off a completely stock car, going stage 2 :) Especially after the money you put out to go stage 3. No an equal ration of 'Money : Happiness.'

I still struggle with the 18g vs 20g debate a bit i guess... The 18g is already pushing my buttons with a later spool, so i dont think i could tolerate even more turbo lag to obtain more power. 20g just wasnt something that sparked my interest.

A lot of guys will say, once you go with full fuel, intercooling, etc you might as well skip the 18 and go straight for the power of the 20. I guess im not one of those guys. Like any modding on these cars, spinning out of control isn't hard to do.... You debate a bigger turbo, so you contemplate a 16g... then you think about adding fuel... Since your going fuel... you might as well go 18g... Since you're going 18g... 20g is right around the corner, so you might as well do it up big time... .Next thing you know you have forged internals, a front mount, and a Recaro racing seat and you dont know what the hell happened. :lol: Point being, is that before you know it, you're so far from what you planned to do, that you may have given up the driveability you were looking for.

If i had to do my build again, i would seriously contemplate going 16 with full fuel, intercooler, etc. It was never about the big # for me... Everyone will say the extra 20-25 hp gains to justify the full fuel add-on, just arent worth it... But.... I dunno bout that. Of all the things we spend money on for our cars, HP is typically the priciest.

Archived