LegacyGT.com

Wrong oil weight.

Soooo I just did an oil and filter change in preparation for a bit of a road trip with some friends, however upon completing the procedure, I realized I bought 10W-40 oil *facepalm.*

Do you guys think running this higher viscosity oil until the next oil change is a bad idea? I'm sure it will be fine for this road trip as it is supposed to be hot out, but I hear that 40 weight oil gives poor circulation in tight spaces, increases the oil pressure, and puts undue stress on my old oil pump. Should I be concerned?

It's fine.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

It will be fine.

I use to run 20w50 in my 93 Legacy.

I ran 15w50 in my Forester. A little hard to start in the winter, and revved a little slow, but hot damn was that engine quiet.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'm hoping this might slow whatever leak is occurring at the rear of the engine anyway. The engine does seem a bit smoother overall... I might stick with this weight indefinitely... though I suppose in winter going back to 30 wouldn't hurt..

Brands matter but not much really. Pennzoil is a top brand anyway. I strongly encourage those with a turbo to use synthetic, however.

You can usually get oil very cheap, sometimes free. Keep an eye on the BITOG forum "sales" section and stock up when you find a sale or rebate. I got 10 quarts of synthetii quakerstate almost free this year.

Archived