LegacyGT.com

2005 legacy 2.5 gt limited clutch replacement.....opinions please

1.) Alright so I need a new clutch, it still has the original clutch in it at 141,000 miles. I was wondering if u guys think this job needs to by done at a subaru dealer, or if I should take it to a private party mechanic to save some money. After all it is just replacing a clutch

2.) What kind of clutch should I get? The stock one seemed alright, couldn't shift through the gears very fast though. I bought the car with very little life left on the clutch, so I don't have much to compare with. I never dump the clutch, usually accelerate pretty fast though.

3.) My car burns oil, if I drive it nice I have to add about one quarter of a quart of oil every 1000 miles. If I accelerate fast with it all the time i usually have to add around one half of a quart every 1000 miles. Is this normal for subarus? I have zero leaks and no white smoke, my exhaust tips are black though. If the burning oil is not normal where do I start?.....shaft play in turbo, compression test, blow by test, PCV valve, valves not seated properly idk

4.) Given both problems I'm thinking subaru should be able to fix them, not?

thanks in advance hopefully

Private mechanic. My labor was 50% of dealer locally on a clutch. I got away with $850 for new clutch(reused flywheel) installed along with the reason changed(throw out bearing failure).

Private shop.

I just put a Spec 2 clutch in my 05 after having a Spec2+ for over 80,000 miles. Love the 2 much better then the 2+.

What year is the car ?

You should get a single mass FW too, may be the TSK3 TOB kit.

Where do you live, we may know a good shop close to you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Your 05 has a DMFW, they are junk and can not be re-surfaced. It will need to be replaced.

Most go with a 06+ WRX single mass FW. The 07+Legacy's have a SM, see even stupid Subaru engineers figured that one out.

IMO do not put a POS OEM clutch back in the car, all the OEM clutchs in 3 Legacy's since 1998 have slipped while backing up in 3" of snow. That tells my they are junk.

My Spec clutchs have never slipped.

Contact (PM) m sprank or Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com they can help you out with what you need. Both members help out a lot on here for free. Buy your products from them.

Oh you can tell them I sent you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

comes with it, i recommend an exedy stage 1. get an 06-07 wrx flywheel and clutch and you'll be good to go. the spec stage 2's have sounded/acted/lasted like shit locally to me, and it's not just 1 person, and they don't even ebat on the car.

Does tob kit have a pressure plate w it, or do I need to order one separately

The single mass FW can be re-surfaced and used again and again. A DMFW is a one time use only.

The clutch kit comes with clutch disc, pressure plate, TOB, Pilot bearing and alignment tool.

Check my thread in this forum "Got some new stuff for engine R&R" I have pictures of the FW & clutch going on me new short block.

If you DIY you will need the Torx Plus T+50 bit to remove the oem bolts. You'll also need 8 new FW bolts for the SMFW.

For some reason I seem to be tje only guy that get's good life out of Spec clutches, this Spec 2 feels great no noise, no chatter. I know life in about 4-5 years.

FW bolts may help too. Hex head bolts are easier to use then the Torx Plus T+50's.

Do you need need 75w-90 gear oil for the tranny ?

I had a terrible experience with my spec clutch. I recommend an ACT and doing it yourself isn't bad as long as you have a big friend to help. It sucks splitting the motor and transmission though and the wrx flywheel is the way to go. Its worth the money to have someone do it if time is an issue but if you need a walk through pm me. I consider myself a master now. Max capacity can back me up on that.

I had a terrible experience with my spec clutch. I recommend an ACT and doing it yourself isn't bad as long as you have a big friend to help. It sucks splitting the motor and transmission though and the wrx flywheel is the way to go. Its worth the money to have someone do it if time is an issue but if you need a walk through pm me. I consider myself a master now. Max capacity can back me up on that.

If you remember I had my tranny out twice too, but I seem to recall you even had that beat, or was that SSspeed. Somebody had a bad TOB.

Mine was because the fork fell off the pivot ball.

I have a Spec stage 2 clutch and flywheel with the TSK3 Snout kit Works pretty good so far, but it has only been on the car for about 2,000 miles.

My 2+ was going strong at 80,000 miles when I pulled the engine out.

I want to do it myself, I just don't think my baby should be the test car to see if I can put a clutch in it lol, the drive shaft and exhaulst crap, and not having a lift made me say f it. I'll need some 75w-90 gear oil, what brand...Lucas oil? And is the the 07 stock wrx flywheel going to be a solid purchase as in better than aftermarket brands. Not going stage 2 on the clutch due to winter driving....unless its not difficult to drive in snow w a stage 2. I have read that a stage 2 will go out faster than a stage one, and I would shifting at four grand plus woukd be a must so idk w stage one or two, thanks guys u are awesome

• Mega Users
I want to do it myself, I just don't think my baby should be the test car to see if I can put a clutch in it lol, the drive shaft and exhaulst crap, and not having a lift made me say f it. I'll need some 75w-90 gear oil, what brand...Lucas oil? And is the the 07 stock wrx flywheel going to be a solid purchase as in better than aftermarket brands. Not going stage 2 on the clutch due to winter driving....unless its not difficult to drive in snow w a stage 2. I have read that a stage 2 will go out faster than a stage one, and I would shifting at four grand plus woukd be a must so idk w stage one or two, thanks guys u are awesome

no offense but you are obviously very young and don't know a lot about cars. Take your car to a professional and have them do the job with a single mass fly wheel.

what "stage" your car is has no correlation to your experience driving in the snow, and its difficulty.

I use Lucas 75w90, and it works perfectly fine. However, for the same price and a little more for shipping, you can buy Subaru Extra-S oil, which is the most recommended gear oil for these transmissions and differentials.

www.infamousperformance.net

You will need 5 quarts.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Well st cloud subaru quoted me at 1500 out the door with an 07 wrx flywheel and clutch, probably going that route

That's ridiculous I got my stage 2 clutch,flywheel, and snout kit for around $850 in parts and $450 labor at a local shop. Looking back I probably would have done it myself. But $1500 seems way high. I would go local. You should be able to get a basic clutch for around $250-$300 and the WRX flywheels run about $100-125 depending where you get them. Should be able to get it done for under $1k.

If you remember I had my tranny out twice too, but I seem to recall you even had that beat, or was that SSspeed. Somebody had a bad TOB.

Mine was because the fork fell off the pivot ball.

I was at 6. Mine was a bad kit. Never worked. And a broken slave cylinder. Had it off the pivot once. Either way I'm way to good at it now.

I say go for it and change the clutch yourself. It'll be fun

no offense but you are obviously very young and don't know a lot about cars. Take your car to a professional and have them do the job with a single mass fly wheel.

what "stage" your car is has no correlation to your experience driving in the snow, and its difficulty.

I use Lucas 75w90, and it works perfectly fine. However, for the same price and a little more for shipping, you can buy Subaru Extra-S oil, which is the most recommended gear oil for these transmissions and differentials.

www.infamousperformance.net

You will need 5 quarts.

Agree, you'll need a good set of tools. If you have done other work on cars like brakes and some exhaust work you may have a good shot at replacing the clutch. But you need to have mechanical ability to do this job safely, this is not a job that any one can do.

Oh do you have air tools and a tranny jack. The 5mt weights about 100lbs, can you get the frame of the car high enough get the the 18" tall tranny out from under it, on the tanny jack.

I had my wagon up on the top of my 6 ton jackstands, that's about 2ft off the ground.

I used 2 floor jacks and blocks of wood to get it that high. You need to know what your doing.

There was another death in this state the other weekend when a car fell on somebody.

Shop around. You can do it way cheaper than $1500 and they aren't that bad to do. Honestly you can do it in a few hours on jack stands. Make sure you have a torque wrench a t50 torx. It's actually a t50+ but no one carries it. And chisel and hammer. You need a 12mm box end a 12mm ratchet a 14mm ratchet a 17mm ratchet and a flat head screwdriver.

I'm gonna have a shop do it, there is a Vid on YouTube and it looks pretty easy, but ill let someon else handle the internal shit. Plus I don't have the time or proper tools, I changed the wheel bearing once and found myself at general rental three times for impact shit and what not. It's down to an 07 legacy flywheel and clutch or 07 wrx flywheel and clutch....is there even a difference?

Archived