LegacyGT.com

Canadian "Aero" Cross bars for wagons.

I don't know how Canada's tax works; but would ordering from another country(USA) still have a sales tax and is there an tariff for items being shipped to USA?

Thank you very much for the information, ElanS2!

Alfred_Buchi, if you start a G-B you can go ahead and put me down! All I know is I just need it by winter.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got these for my wagon last fall. Love them, no idea about the manufacturer. I got them as a gift, and I know my dad paid out the nose for them- after all was said and done it was about $300.

Why the USDM bars are so lame compared to the CDM, we shall never know.

I use a Thule Universal ski rack and it fits just fine.

Did your dad go to(or lives in) Canada to get them?

Hello K2e2vin,

The Canadian sales taxes I referred to are what is known as consumption taxes. They get passed on to the end purchaser. There are two of them: one federal applied in all provinces, and the other provincial (state). The provincial tax varies from 0 in Alberta to 9.5% in Quebec. In Quebec they add up to 15%.

A purchaser can avoid paying them if the item purchased is for resale in one manner or another, and if he is registered federally and provincially. As you suspect they do not apply to items "exported" however in this case the "exporter" is going to have to jump through hoops, forms and other paperwork that the normal Subi dealer never encounters in order to not charge the taxes.

Sometimes the purchaser, from outside Canada, can recuperate the taxes already paid by filing a claim somewhere, however you do have to have complete documentation, and I do not know how that is done.

Tariffs concern the importing country so you will have to sort that out on your end. There is a free trade agreement between the US and Can as well as free trade in automobile stuff between the countries. In addition this product must be made in the US so I doubt if any tariff applies. The problem is not the tariff, it is the handling of the item. In Canada I can get stuck with a fee for opening a file even when no tariff is charged. This filing or handling fee ranges from 5$ if it is through Canada Post to infinity if it is through your friendly UPS "service". Shipping by UPS is prohibitive as they charge fees on fees to suck everything they can out of your pockets. They have your stuff so you have to pay up if you want it. I hate UPS. I see no reason for them to treat you differently from me. They will screw you.

Have a good day!

Cheers

Rod

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering, anyone else look into these? I think I'm going to go ahead and try to order a set the week after next.

I'm just curious if anyone else has ordered from Canada; looks like a lot of work for the dealership. I was hoping someone with experience or know a shop that can help would chime in.

I ordered them from the Subaru dealership in Richmond, BC. It was rather expensive, and then UPS came after me for $35 more for brokerage fees after the fact.

So, overall it is doable, but it would be better if you're close to the border to drive up, buy them, put them on your car and drive back. If you leave them in a box in the trunk, the CBP is going to want to charge you for bringing them back in the country.

Brock,

Please do not say that you were not warned about UPS's prohibitive charges.

Could you please let the readers know the dimensions and weight of the box so that they can do there own calculations. Your shipping was from Richmond ( Vancouver ) to Seattle, hard to get closer than that. Can you tell us what the costs for shipping was and what the "brokerage fees, handling etc " was. The shipping cost should not have been too bad considering the distance. Others would have to make an adjustment for their distance. The brokerage etc stuff should, IMHO, be the same whatever the distance. As I said in another post the postal service seems to have a easier approach to fees etc than does UPS. Perhaps that is why UPS makes money and the postal services don't. Take advantage of that situation while it lasts.

Rod from Canada

I'm well aware of UPS's charges.

I have no idea what the dims/weights of the box were- I got these about a year ago and they are long gone.

Like I said in an earlier post, I received mine as a gift and didn't arrange shipping or anything. All I do know is that my dad said the dealership included all shipping charges and he covered them. It wasn't until UPS sent me to collections for about $35 that I found out it wasn't all covered.

Being in transportation/logistics, I can wholeheartedly support your recommendation to use the national postal services to do cross-border shipping. You're much less likely to run into these surprise charges than using UPS or Fedex.

Someone could have done fairly well about 4 or 5 years ago getting a lot of these canadian bars into the states and selling them here on the forums...

Brock,

It sounds like your Dad was hooked for list price ($240). A friendly parts man could have done the deal for $160 plus transport. I guess it's easier to get a deal face to face.

In Aug Subi Canada had lots of stock.

See post #17

• 2 weeks later...

Are you guys looking for these bars?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/hobbit13/TSCHypermeetShot2012.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/hobbit13/d33e459c.jpg

Please note that this is on an 08 wagon. I don't know if the bars are the same for the earlier models. If you give me a VIN, I can go to my dealer in town and get part numbers for you guys.

Hello K2e2vin,

The following is my estimate of shipping which I obtained from the Canada Post web site using the dimensions and weights that I had estimated and included in a previous posting:

" just took my unit off the car. From the measurements that I took I estimate the shipping costs to be in the neighbourhood of 64.36$Can plus sales tax of 15%. The sales tax should be added to the 160$ selling price too. The shipping could be reduced by +/-20$ if it is by expedited parcel rather than express post. Both offer signature upon reception. From what I see neither offer tracking. When I get stuff from the US through the USPS tracking applies to the border but not within Canada. The reverse may be true when shipping to the US."

If you are willing to trust me I offer to obtain the package and post it however I would like to receive payment first for the purchase and latter for the exact shipping. I will not add any $ for extras that are not real out of pocket expenses. In other words there will be nothing in it for me. The purchase price that you mention , $180, does it include 15% local taxes? If not that will have to be added. I can try and refine the shipping cost if you will tell me where it should be shipped to. Please note that I will not be responsible for any duties or administrative fees that may be imposed upon importing by your authorities, whoever they may be.

If the chap in Sudbury offers to help you the shipping will probably be less as he is closer to the states than am I.

Let me know if you think I can help you and good luck. I really like my bars!!

Cheers

Rod

Sweet! I'm going to get these as well from Francois.

One question, I can't seem to find the thread, but what accessories will fit these bars? I'm looking for snowboard racks, one that will hold 4 snowboards.. does Thule make a universal fitment option for these aero bars?

I'm not sure but I was planning on using the Thule Atlantis cargo box to hold 4-6 snowboards; it uses a clamping system that looks like it should work on those bars.

Subaru Canada should have accessories that specifically fit these bars too*

Since I have been asked in pm about which accessories I use, here we go. This is for the 08 bars. I don't know if the 05-07 bars are different. I know that I do not have bars available from Thule, only Yakima this is not the case for the 05-07.

I use the Thule Big Mouth bike carrier, and the Stacker Kayak carrier.

The bike carrier uses square head bolts which I slide into my track and clip tight. The kayak carrier uses straps and bolts. I do not have adapters from Subaru, I have not found any that are made. I know that Subaru is now offering Thule accessories for the cars. I'm pretty sure I have the same Thule accessories that Subaru offers.

Here are pictures of both:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/hobbit13/null-28.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/hobbit13/null-27.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/hobbit13/null-26.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/hobbit13/null-25.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/hobbit13/null-24.jpg

Any questions PM me. I'll be glad to help.

Archived