LegacyGT.com

EWG on a DD

Why would you spend hundreds of dollars to do a mod that will not make your car substantially faster? Just because it's loud? Get a cutout in the y-pipe if you really just want to be loud. At least you won't have to tune for that.

I guess I don't understand the cool factor of having a slow car that's loud when you floor it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I will be getting a tune regardless of if I get the EWG or not because of the turbo, fueling and EBCS. I also figured if I do the EWG now it's one less thing to worry about if I do go to a bigger turbo. How is a more or less 300whp car slow? if you don't mind me asking.
God created turbo lag to give V8s a chance

Without it, I'm sure I wouldn't have made 300whp on a mustang dyno. No need to bash on people's opinions. Let people do what they want. Half of us are planning on upgrading turbos eventually so it at least has us prepared.

I will be getting a tune regardless of if I get the EWG or not because of the turbo, fueling and EBCS. I also figured if I do the EWG now it's one less thing to worry about if I do go to a bigger turbo. How is a more or less 300whp car slow? if you don't mind me asking.

Going with an EWG now is just another way to waste some money. Save the money you would have spent on the EWG setup and put it in an interest earning account. When you are ready for a big turbo, you'll be able to afford the MUCH better TiAL 44mm v-band.

But you do what you want. A 38mm bolt-on gate is not going to be sufficient to handle a big turbo, and it will provide almost no benefit over the internal gate on a 52. Plus it opens the door to potential exhaust leaks.

Total benefit? It'll be noisy at WOT.

As for "How is a more or less 300whp car slow?" If you have to ask, you already believe its going to be fast. My telling you it isnt, is going to be a waste of time.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

38mm will do just fine for an FP green when I'm ready for it. Money well spent. It's our money. Let us spend it on what we want knowing that it's first step to preparation. But I guess for those of you who are 450+whp make so much more sense than us, right? Tell me how reliable your DD will be when it blows up before 30k miles. 300-350whp for me is good enough. Reliable 300-350whp on a Dom or FP with a 38mm EWG is good enough in my book. It was a a perfect addition to my 3port ebcs. I'm happy with it.

To each his own I guess.

:rolleyes:

I couldn't care less how you spend your money. That isn't what this is about.

This is about putting an external gate on a stock turbo. It's absolutely unnecessary, and almost entirely a noise mod.

If you are going to waste money getting one, "in prep for a bigger turbo," do it right and get a V-band 44mm gate.

Point is, I don't need a 44mm for an FP green. 38mm will do just fine. My VF43 loves the EWG. So like Isaid, to each his own.

It's like talking to a brick wall.

Do what you want. A 38mm gate provides no substantial advantage over the internal gate on a Green. It costs a lot, for nearly no gain. And when you push the green to its peak efficiency, you'll be nearly out flowing the 38.

38mm gates have their place in lots of applications. 50+ lb/min turbos on somewhat high revving 2.5L engines is not one of them.

Most people with 38mm gates, have them because "EWG is cool".

I don't think you're getting his point either. For a power goal of 300-350whp for a DD, you won't see any significant power gain between iwg and a bolt on 38mm ewg. So aside from the sound (which is a personal preference/choice) what's the point?

If you're going to take a "first step to preparation" to run a 50+ lb/min turbo efficiently, you will want a quality v-band 44mm ewg, which would be silly to run on a smaller turbo. If you really need an ewg because of the turbo you are installing NOW, then install along with the turbo, otherwise run the iwg, unless you want the sound.

You'll have to weld the iwg shut on the vf too (atleast you should). In the long run when/if you want to go with a bigger turbo, selling the current one would be harder.

If you go external now I would get it to dump back into the downpipe. This way it's a friendlier dd

IMO, I'd just wait and save your money now. See how you like the new setup with the vf52 turbo and then decide from there. A external wastegste is not a make it, break it part power wise on that turbo.

I don't think you're getting his point either. For a power goal of 300-350whp for a DD, you won't see any significant power gain between iwg and a bolt on 38mm ewg.

In a nutshell.

If the argument is that you're buying a header or up-pipe (or both) NOW and want to buy once, you can just buy an up-pipe with v-band fitting for EWG and a blanking plate to seal it for the time being. Run your VF-52 IWG (which is all it needs) and if/when you go bigger, get the proper EWG for it at that time.

If the whole point is the noise or bragging rights / whatever, just say so and we can stop trying to put you straight on technical issues you don't care about.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived