LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT! I may be getting tomorrow!

-Samurai-

Need some help here. I've been doing a lot of research on these cars and they seem quite reliable as long as they are taken care of correctly. I might be trading in my Lexus SC400 tomorrow for a 2005 Legacy GT Limited. Atlantic Blue, Tan interior. Beautiful one owner car. I just need a couple questions answered.

1. What are the odds of the turbo going out on this 86,000 mile subie?

-Its had regular oil changes, and recommended fluid flushes since it was new.

2. Whats the easiest way to tell if the Turbo may be needing attention?

-Something I'd be able to look at personally at the dealer before buying it and bringing it to my mechanic

3. Any other misc things that I should double check on these cars they may be a common problem?

Thank you for ANY help or recommendations! I hope I'm able to become a better member with this Subie in my garage!

The turbo is probably fine if the oil was changed regularly and it wasn't overboosted. One way to check: Take the intake off of the turbo and try to wiggle the compressor with your finger. It shouldn't move much, if at all. If it moves a lot side to side - or especially in and out - that would indicate that it's worn.

^ that would ultimately be the way to check the turbo, by checking shaft play inside the turbo. If it had a boost gauge, just verifying it reaches full boost would be another. Also, put the windows up and listen for any unusual noises under boost.

Otherwise, if the oil was changed within 5k mile per interval and its stock, I wouldn't worry too much. And you won't regret the purchase either.

More importantly, check the filter in the banjo bolt via which oil is fed to the journal bearing of the turbo. Play is important, but having oil supply to let the turbo spin freely is much more important. Ask the owner if he ever had that checked or if he removed the filter.

Check lower control arms bushings, as those tend to wear out on these cars. You did not say which tranny, but if a manual, test drive looking for clutch problems - shudder when starting off the line, and clutch slip in top gear at lower speed (around 50mph) by flooring the gas pedal.

Make sure it boosts correctly (is there a boos t gauge?) and smoothly. These motors are known to blow ringlands in cylinders that run lean.

Maintenance records are always good to check on, with the owner and at a Subaru dealer by using the VIN number.

Good luck!

Thanks for getting back to me! I'll be sure to be checking that stuff. Yeah the car is completely stock, and was traded in by the original owner at the Subaru dealer he bought it from. No boost gauges though and its the Auto version so I pobably dont have to worry about the clutch. Thanks again guys. Ill be getting back to you on how it went and if I get the car I'll be posting it in the new members section for sure!

For sure those bushings wear out too soon, but it's not a big deal if they need replacing. I had mine replaced by a Suby specialty shop (LIC Motorsports in Novato, California). The whole job, including the Whiteline ALK Comfort bushings, was just under $400. The new non-stock bushings should last a lot longer. Of course if you're buying the car from a dealer, they might replace them for free if they're worn out.

Check lower control arms bushings, as those tend to wear out on these cars.

Well I didnt get the Legacy. Mainly because they were only going to give me $2000 for my car. Thats way too low. I was hoping around $4000. So the search continues until I can sell it on Craigslist. But I'd for sure go and buy the one I looked at it was very very clean, wasnt leaking one bit, drove nice. Just overall very good for its age.

Another thing I noticed when I test drove the car. The wheels after the test drive were HOT. I didn't beat on it or anything either. The rotors also have a tint of blue to them. Have any of you had a bad master cylinder before?

If the wheels were hot, the brake pads were sticking. This can happen either because the pads didn't fit right into the calipers (some aftermarket are tight fits) or it could be that the piston in the caliper is sticking. The former is a cheaper fix than the latter.

Have them fix the brakes, if you can do not put oem pads on. Go with Hawk Ceramic's.

You'll want to get the up pipe out of there, the cat in it has been known to break and take out the turbo.

Have the banjo filter checked and I like to remove it, or replace it with a clean filter. It's on the back of the pasenger side head.

Learn how to check the oil and keep it topped off. Do Not Ever let it low on oil.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If the wheels were hot, the brake pads were sticking. This can happen either because the pads didn't fit right into the calipers (some aftermarket are tight fits) or it could be that the piston in the caliper is sticking. The former is a cheaper fix than the latter.

THats what I was thinking, my Lexus the front calipers stuck and I had to get them replaced. But all 4? I wonder if the master cylinder isnt depressing pressure? I'll def. have them look at it.

Have them fix the brakes, if you can do not put oem pads on. Go with Hawk Ceramic's.

You'll want to get the up pipe out of there, the cat in it has been known to break and take out the turbo.

Have the banjo filter checked and I like to remove it, or replace it with a clean filter. It's on the back of the pasenger side head.

Learn how to check the oil and keep it topped off. Do Not Ever let it low on oil.

Replace the Up pipe? Or what do you mean? How does a cat take out a turbo? lol. Yeah Yep I'm gonna check the oil quite often, its habit anyways with any car lol. I'll probably be removing the banjo filter as well.

I feel like this is set to auto-copy-paste.

Is it possible for all 4 brake calipers to stick and drag? Seems very wierd. I wonder if whoever did the brakes last didnt install the correct pads or something. I'm def. going to have the dealer check that again. If I have to wait and pick up the car a later day I will. I'd rather be able to stop, not be without brakes because they get so hot.

Anything is possible, but not likely unless something is wrong.

How easy is the car to push. On level ground these cars roll easy. They also coast pretty on the road.

Find so road that has a pitch to it and see if the car will roll down hill.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Is it possible for all 4 brake calipers to stick and drag? Seems very wierd. I wonder if whoever did the brakes last didnt install the correct pads or something. I'm def. going to have the dealer check that again. If I have to wait and pick up the car a later day I will. I'd rather be able to stop, not be without brakes because they get so hot.

Since it's at a dealer, it's possible that they just replaced all of the pads since they're a cheap fix. The stainless sliders can get gummed up pretty easy, so I'd bet that's probably the only issue. I have had this happen; you can just toss the stainless sliders and be fine.

*BUT* since it's at a dealer, just have them fix whatever you're worried about before buying it. There's no point in buying it and then having to fix it.

Well after further investigation was a one time thing, dont know why. Bought it today and drove an hour home and the wheels werent hot. very wierd but I'm under warranty for a bit. gonna have the whole car checked over by my mechanic.

Congrats!

FYI- Besides what others have said, be aware that the rear bearings are a trouble spot; at least on my wife's Outrback, but not on my GT. They give a real loud growl when ready to be changed. No problems with the turbo in mine at 78K kow. Enjoy!

Congrats!

FYI- Besides what others have said, be aware that the rear bearings are a trouble spot; at least on my wife's Outback, but not on my GT. They give a real loud growl when ready to be changed. No problems with the turbo in mine at 78K know. Enjoy!

Thanks! Yeah I'm going to be taking it to my mechanic to have certain things checked out like the turbo system. Just to make sure everything is alright. And my LGT has 87,000 on it, I might have him remove the banjo filter too while he's at it.Better to be safe than sorry.

Archived