LegacyGT.com

Overflow jug staying full?

Well, It seems like ive ran into a snag..Which Im sure we got it narrowed down to the infamous head gaskets.

The problem popped its head up the other day at bestbuy pulling in..The ac stopped blowing cold and the temp hand started to sneak up to hot. So I turned the car off..Went inside about 15minutes later I came back out started the car and it never did it again.

I got home and let the car cool down so we could take the cap off the radiator, Come to find out it was low on coolant ( go figure ) With dried up white stuff all around the rad and driver side and lower rad hose. So The next day we go ahead and replace the rad cap and lower rad hose. Thought all would be well..Not the case..Drove around for a bit to see if the radiator kept coolant in it..And once again the over flow jug was FULL all the way to the top and coming out of the hose area and little yellow cap draining down.

The only thing left it could be is the head gaskets failing (failed) right?

if anyone has had experience with this problem, It was be very grateful to know anything. I do work at the subaru dealership and so does my cousin in parts. Ill be able to get the head gaskets replaced on the side and all,But it still would be nice if there is anything else it might be before I get him to pull the heads and redo it. Oh, Maybe a bad thermostat? I know when I bought it the timing belt was replaced but not sure at all if the guy just did that or the whole thing.:spin:

1998 subaru legacy gt 2.5 5 speed by the way incase people were wondering

• I Donated
If you work at the dealer, why not just have one of the techs take a peek at it? A hands on diagnostic from a Subaru tech will beat an internet diagnostic.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I am, Just wanna get inputs from others before I drive it up there. Im on vacation, Plus we only have two subaru techs there and one is also on vacation so until then its really hard for him to do other stuff unless it goes through service

It was leaking from the lower rad hose for sure the first time around, Whoever replaced it did a shady job at it, it was a inch longer and was kinked up. And both clamps werent tight at all. Seems like it has alot of pressure built up

http://i47.tinypic.com/2djwg89.jpg

This is a picture of me driving from my house to my cousin's house which isnt a mile away. It foams up. But never runs hot at all. Stays at normal or below it

http://i50.tinypic.com/2mq5n9y.jpg

This picture is in the overflow jug. Its usually to the top with coolant and foam at the top.

No soap. Just foams up. We burped it and burped it to make sure no air was in it to make it do that. But just driving it makes it foam up and the overflow starts to spill over

I drove it for over a hour last night to test the new radiator hose. Never once did it over heat or go above normal. Just foams up and all the coolant ends up in the overflow jug and have to add more to the radiator. Gonna pull the engine saturday..Im hoping its not a cracked block

Not sure what you've got in there for coolant solution, but I'd drain the coolant, refill with water, cycle it (at idle), drain that, and then refill with appropriate amount of Subaru coolant and water. Make sure you burp all of the air bubbles out of the system.

Did you replace the thermostat when you replaced the bottom hose? If you're getting "pressure" that's the first thing to check, the second is a blocked radiator.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I have subaru coolant 50/50. I have not checked the thermostat. I havent had the car 2 weeks. The guy I bought it from did the timing belt but more than likely cheaped out and just did that and never did the thermo and water pump.

Think that white stuff (on the coolant overllow line on my 05) is just ozone oxidation. It wipes off and doesn't return.

Kinda sucks. If I had a crack block..I wouldnt of been able to drive 170+ miles at 80mph without noticing anything could I? I drove it home without a hickup or over heating.

Cracked block would mean coolant and oil together. At that distance and those speeds, I would have expected a lot worse from the whole engine, including the bearings. A leak-down test will given you a much better picture, pre-tear-down.

I drove down to Rockford IL with mine... just had to add coolant before I left and again before I drove back. Blown head gaskets can be sneaky. Mine doesn't smoke, no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant...but it's letting exhaust gas into one of the cooling passages.

Like I said, test for exhaust gas in your coolant. If it's there, you need new head gaskets.

Archived