LegacyGT.com

Help Please - 225/45 on stock 5 spokes

from http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/faq-offsets-sizes-rims-and-tires-gt-xenonk-version-4426.html

17 in. rims (for GTs 2005-on):

205/40/17 (only for SUPER FAST acceleration and torque; for autocrossing only, do not use for daily driving)

205/45/17 (only for FAST acceleration and torque; for autocrossing only , do not use for daily driving)

205/50/17 (good for snow rally)

215/45/17 (stock)

225/45/17 (good autocross performance tire size for gearing, more mph per gear)

235/40/17 (good autocross performance tire size for torque, more acceleration)

235/45/17 (tallest tire you could use under the GT due to possible suspension clearance issues, best used with an 8" wide wheel)

245/40/17 (good autocross performance tire size for traction, will need to have a flatter alignment to make use of the grip)

255/40/17 (maximum grip, good for track days, will need a 9" rim to make use of the contact patch and a good alignment as well).

• 2 weeks later...
How it looks depends on the tire too. My Yokohoma Avid W4S in 225/45 on the stock 17x7 inflated to 36/34 always bulged a tiny bit on the sides despite being a good tire. Perhaps from sidewall flex, I don't know. But my current Dunlop Wintersport M3 tires in 215/45 square up a lot better. The stock RE92 in 215/45 also was squared up nicely.

It's not going to 'look' any different. You will not notice. Go buy some tires for F-sake.

DWS are known for having a lot of sidewall flex, but for the price you cant beat em.

That's way we run them at 38psi, to remove some of the flex. It's all about what you want and what you want to pay...If you drive your car at the limit more then buy stiffer sidewalls or Dunlop Star Specs and then buy rims and a set of winter tires.

For 99% of us the DWS is a great tire at a great price.

Me, I chose to put DWS's no both cars and also have a set of OEM rims with winter tires for both cars. Because it bug's me when I'm running my winter tires in March and it doesn't snow. When that happens I feel safe putting the summer tires on and not worry about the snow if it comes.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived