LegacyGT.com

Radiator upper hose replacement question

I recently noticed that my upper radiator hose has a small tear on it where it is clamped to the engine. It's not leaking now, but I want to replace it before it does.

So my question is, can I remove this hose without draining all of the coolant, or will a lot of coolant drain out through this hose once I remove it?

Thanks in advance

You can remove it and some will drain out - pretty much anything that is higher than the hole (on both ends). You can replace whatever comes out with straight tap water.

I bought a replacement part from infamous, but you can also order from heuberger.

Use some dish soap on the plastic and rubber to get it to slide on easily. You may also have to loosen up the power steering hose, so be sure to examine everything before you do the work.

Okay so it will pretty much just drain out the amount that is in the fill tank by the turbo and whatever is still in the hose?

Did you use the mishimoto hose from infamous? I didn't see the OEM part on their website.

From the looks of it I think I can get to everything without moving any power steering hoses. Is there an issue that I will run into part way through if I don't loosen the power steering hose?

Okay so it will pretty much just drain out the amount that is in the fill tank by the turbo and whatever is still in the hose?

Did you use the mishimoto hose from infamous? I didn't see the OEM part on their website.

From the looks of it I think I can get to everything without moving any power steering hoses. Is there an issue that I will run into part way through if I don't loosen the power steering hose?

You can PM him for the parts. I found Heuberger to be very fast - ships next day, about 2-3 days to the East Coast for delivery.http://www.heubergermotors.com/parts/index.htm click the big 25% off retail

link. Edit: doesn't look like they have it. Check your local autoparts store. It's a radiator hose. As long as the replacement looks like the one that came off, it will work. Don't spend more than $15-20.

OEM cooling is king.

For future reference, use opposed forces for part numbers. The Subaru parts system sometimes likes to hide things...

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_5/cooling_system/engine_cooling/illustration_1/

original P/N: 45161AG00A

I know I don't need an expensive aftermarket hose, it just doesn't seem like anyone has the actual OEM one. I put that part number in on heuberger's website, it doesn't look like they have it. I think it's a discontinued part.

It's pretty easy to find replacements by Gates or Dayco so i'll probably just go with one of those. Does anyone have any experience with either of those brands or know if they make decent quality products?

Thanks for all the tips, I will be sure to be careful not to break anything.

Here's my tip, pick up screw type hose clamps for the new hose.

When I replaced my radiator hoses with new OEM ones, I hard a very hard time getting the old OEM spring clamps over the hose after installing it on the plastic radiator. Seems the clamps would not open up enough to slide over the ridge. Also the new hose fit so tighly on the on "plastic radiator neck" I didn't dare try and get it off.

So I just left them about 2" back and put screw types clamps on.

Yesterday I took my cut off wheel the cut the old OEM spring clamp off the top hose.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived