LegacyGT.com

1st, 2nd and 5th Gears will not engage

PutnamCO

I was driving on the highway this afternoon, and was in 5th gear when I gave my 06 5mt LGT gas to pass. I felt a jolt, and the rpms rose without any effect on acceleration. It felt like I was in neutral. I was able to put it in 4th without any issue, and slow to a stop.

Once I stopped, I could engage 3rd, 4th, and reverse without issue, but 1st, 2nd and 5th were impossible to engage. When engaging in the gears that I could, the clutch and linkage felt normal.

I have an 06 with stock shift linkage, a Spec Stg III clutch and LWFW, TSK3 TOB kit, and change my tranny fluid regularly with Extra-S.

Not knowing anything about tranny internals, I talked to my friend who is a mechanic, and he said that the internal linkage to the tranny has horizontal and lateral parts, and that the lateral portion likely broke.

I will be at my friend's shop tomorrow removing the tranny, but wanted to check and see if anyone else has had this problem. Any help would be much appreciated!

Yeah, I'm amazed that the transmission went before the engine, given that I've been pushing 22psi for a year and a half on an engine with 108k.

A little background on the tranny:

I never launch hard or drop the clutch in 1st.

There was never any notchiness, grinding, or strange feel when engaging in 1st, or shifting.

I had no noises at all, except for one that lasted a week, about 3 months ago. There was a high pitch whine, that sounded metallic, that would happen for 1 second if I accelerated past 4k in 1st, then let off the gas without shifting. It sounded like it was coming from the back of the engine/transmission area, but before I could figure out what it was, it went away. Maybe this was the premature death cry of 1st gear?

Luckily I've found a replacement locally, from Money, so my car should be running soon.

Maybe you don't really need to launch hard or drop the clutch. Even if you got a rolling start with the clutch entirely out, depending on your tune, the power can come on very hard once the turbo spools up and the jolt sent to your tranny might've still be really big.

True, I am putting down 370whp and 378wtq, and drive pretty hard.

Either way, there are plenty of people with my power on the stock tranny. Maybe I just got a weak one. Hopefully the one being put in on Monday is a good one!

Archived