LegacyGT.com

$ for trans + diff fluid flush?

dr_sharp

I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer to have them do this. What is a reasonable price to expect? I've heard stories of people not getting the correct amount of fluid back into the car otherwise I'd try it myself.
lol

It's not too difficult to get this done yourself. You need the large Torx bit to drain the manual transmission and it gets refilled through the dipstick for the tranny located under the engine cover on the passenger side. It holds around 4 quarts of 75-90 gear oil. I used Redline NS but others rave about Subaru's own fluid which I believe isn't available in reasonably sized retail containers. The diff holds a little under a quart and removing the drain and refill plugs can be tricky because of access. Make sure you remove the refill plug (top) before you drain anything. Buy a fluid transer pump on Amazon for 5 or 6 bucks and use a recommended fluid (not NS) or Mobil 1 gear oil comes in a squeeze refill bottle which is messy unless you're quick and lucky. With the rear of the car supported by jackstands just keep adding until the fluid runneth over. I don't think you can overfill either the trans or diff because lubrication is not by pump, it's splashed.

Archived