LegacyGT.com

Engine cleaning ????

It seems that AutoZone is selling that product that's still made by "CD-2 Company" in Chicago, according to their Material Safety Data Sheet. Good price at $5.99 if it's really the same product as before.

I'm about to use my old stash of CD-2 (have one used and one unused can). Thanks to OCDetails explanation above, I cleaned my engine bay yesterday, will spray CD-2 this morning :-)

OCDetails, is this the same CD2 engine detailer? I take it they must have been purchased by Blue Coral? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Blue-Coral-12-5-oz-CD-2-spray-engine-detailer/_/N-25zb?itemIdentifier=238559_0_0_

Thanks! Yesterday I bought and used Gunk Foam Engine Degreasant and have a few observations/questions.

1. I shook the can well as instructed before applying. Then when pressing the button, the material came out of the can in a very fine stream (that turned into foam upon hitting a surface). The problem was that it covered a very small area and I had to move the stream a lot back and forth to cover the surfaces, and therefore ran out before completely finishing. Is that how it's supposed to spray? I expected a wider spray that would cover more area.

2. I rinsed a LOT with full pressure from a hose (no nozzle), so skipped the "rinse again" after wiping. Ha, should have followed your directions (of course). I'm now getting an odor in the car every time I start up, so I'm going to rinse and wipe again this morning. I hope the driving didn't "bake on" any of the gunk :-) Luckily, I didn't apply the CD-2 before I drove the car and smelled the odor.

1. spray perimeter with degreaser

2. low pressure water to spray off the crud the degreaser took care of

3. Wipe down the engine with a towel to remove anything that didn't rinse off.

4. Rinse again

5. Dry the engine compartment with a towel. The important parts to dry are the plastics and hoses because those need to be dry for step 6.

Can't you order it from there?

I've always been leery of getting aerosols shipped across the border.. recently all the shipping companies stopped shipping Lithium Polymer batteries.. so much for my R/C battery supply.

Maybe next time I go on a road trip I'll visit all the AutoZone stores in around Bellevue/Seattle and see if I can stock up.

For a lazy person procedure, that sure seems like a lot of work. I thought lazy people were supposed to find the fastest and easiest way to do things. ;) That sounds like a process for someone doing everything they can to avoid getting their fingernails dirty. ;) Don't be afraid of a little dirt on your hands. Your engine will not get clean unless you get in there with your hands a little bit. Rarely do I come across an engine which doesn't require me to reach in under the hood with a towel or a rag at least a couple times.

This is the only process you are going to see me endorse:

1. spray perimeter with degreaser

2. low pressure water to spray off the crud the degreaser took care of

3. Wipe down the engine with a towel to remove anything that didn't rinse off.

4. Rinse again

5. Dry the engine compartment with a towel. The important parts to dry are the plastics and hoses because those need to be dry for step 6.

6. Spray CD2 on plastics and hoses.

7. Let engine run for 20 minutes with the hood down while you do something else.

8. Pop the hood and dry buff the plastics with a towel, but leave the hoses alone. The plastics will spot and have runs, but the hoses will actually just get shiny and you don't want to wipe that off.

9. You are done.

Time invested: Maybe 40 minutes tops. And that is including the 20 minutes you let the engine run. Probably less time if there wasn't a lot to clean up that the degreaser didn't take care of.

There is no need to drive the car around in order to dry it. That just wastes time and gas. Dry it with a towel and save some work. Don't be afraid to touch your engine with your hands. If you are looking for perfect results in a bottle or a can, then keep looking. It isn't out there. Everything is going to require a little elbow grease in addition to the contents of the can. If your engine is super dirty then you may need to get in there with some brushes and rags to get it clean again. A well maintained engine will clean up a whole lot faster than a neglected one, so stay on top of it and your engine detailing will take minutes.

As far as applying CD2 to a hot engine goes, I wouldn't recommend spraying it on one. If you are doing the job right then the engine is cold when you start detailing it anyway, so there shouldn't really ever be a reason to spray it on a hot engine. You are only spraying it on plastics and hoses anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter. I still don't know why you would be spraying it on a hot engine. Even if you washed the hot engine you would think it would be cool by the time you got to the CD2 part.

I followed your advise with great results. It's that kind of clean I have come to expect from my local detailing shop. I really get a lot more satisfaction doing it myself, when I have the time. Thanks for the advise.

Here's my 5 year old engine:

DSC_0051.JPG.917b00a777d4cd1a50e76955ee2b1596.JPG

Man, yours turned out great to. CD2 is my new favorite stuff, man that stuff is awesome. Mine turned out so good, I moved on to my wifes Pilot for fun. I will buy a couple cans the next time I'm in there just to make sure I always have some on had. :)

OCDetails, is this the same CD2 engine detailer? I take it they must have been purchased by Blue Coral? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Blue-Coral-12-5-oz-CD-2-spray-engine-detailer/_/N-25zb?itemIdentifier=238559_0_0_

No, that isn't the same stuff. CD2 is actually owned by Turtle Wax now. That is why they disappeared for awhile I think. They had to get the distribution set up again or something. That Black Magic stuff sits on my disgraced products shelf. It doesn't work at all like CD2. There is another one from Gunk that is supposedly an engine detailer, and that one doesn't work worth crap either. CD2 is where it is at.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Thanks! Yesterday I bought and used Gunk Foam Engine Degreasant and have a few observations/questions.

1. I shook the can well as instructed before applying. Then when pressing the button, the material came out of the can in a very fine stream (that turned into foam upon hitting a surface). The problem was that it covered a very small area and I had to move the stream a lot back and forth to cover the surfaces, and therefore ran out before completely finishing. Is that how it's supposed to spray? I expected a wider spray that would cover more area.

2. I rinsed a LOT with full pressure from a hose (no nozzle), so skipped the "rinse again" after wiping. Ha, should have followed your directions (of course). I'm now getting an odor in the car every time I start up, so I'm going to rinse and wipe again this morning. I hope the driving didn't "bake on" any of the gunk :-) Luckily, I didn't apply the CD-2 before I drove the car and smelled the odor.

You may have gotten a dud for a can. That happens sometimes. That's actually why I always bring two cans with me to a job. You just never know... It happens from time to time with other aerosol products like glass cleaners and stuff like that too. Just bad luck.

I'm not sure what that smell would be. It could be that you got some near something that sucks air into your car. I'm not sure how that could have happened, but it's what it has to be if the smell is coming into the cabin. Hmmmm...

OCDETAILS BLOG

Great looking engines guys! I try to tell people all the time that this stuff isn't rocket science or hard to do, but they don't believe me. I spent half an hour trying to explain this to a neighbor yesterday and he just wasn't getting it. He is doomed to continue paying for something that is really not hard to do himself.

OCDETAILS BLOG

The smell was gone the next day, so I didn't re-rinse the engine. Just applied the CD2 and life is good.

I'm not sure what that smell would be. It could be that you got some near something that sucks air into your car. I'm not sure how that could have happened, but it's what it has to be if the smell is coming into the cabin. Hmmmm...

What are current sources of CD2? I couldn't find it on the turtlewax.com site.

No, that isn't the same stuff. CD2 is actually owned by Turtle Wax now. That is why they disappeared for awhile I think. They had to get the distribution set up again or something. That Black Magic stuff sits on my disgraced products shelf. It doesn't work at all like CD2. There is another one from Gunk that is supposedly an engine detailer, and that one doesn't work worth crap either. CD2 is where it is at.

It's owned by Turtle Wax the same way that Taco Bell is owned by Pepsi. They try to keep the brands separate since they make several engine cleaning products that don't really fit in the lineup of what Turtle Wax typically is known for. Zymol is owned by Turtle Wax too, but they don't advertise that. Makes you think twice about buying that $20 bottle of blue wax everybody seems to think is the best, eh? ;)

I'm not sure why they wouldn't have it listed on their website, but I can't say that I'm sorry. It helps keep my secret weapon under wraps. ;)

AutoZone seems to have the exclusive on it. I don't see it anywhere else, so definitely start your search with them. Expect five or six bucks a can.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Curiouser and curiouser. The autozone.com site only shows a "Blue Coral/12.5 oz. CD-2 spray engine detailer"; the photo shows a can with "Black Magic" and "Engine Shine" on it.

AutoZone seems to have the exclusive on it. I don't see it anywhere else, so definitely start your search with them. Expect five or six bucks a can.

They aren't necessarily going to have everything they stock on the shelves on the website. Give a local store a call and ask them. That is the best way to find it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cleaned my engine today... It's not perfect (after 2 years/winters on New England roads, there's plenty that will never come clean), but it looks a whole lot better! :):cool:

Thanks to OCDetails for the walkthrough! Some before/after pics below...

1Before.thumb.JPG.e1641fef1bbc22fbb8f51d7b7f43e0a6.JPG

1Clean.thumb.JPG.6ed94b6c4b41d0255e65d05f65c9f88d.JPG

2Before.thumb.JPG.fbe9d219713fc82538f10c69b670c927.JPG

2Clean.thumb.JPG.41570619f43d1bb30b7cd45dc03cfaab.JPG

3Before.thumb.JPG.36fface9294750f545e4f1cdd4569ae2.JPG

3Clean.thumb.JPG.5ee06fba961dc71b178355189407fb34.JPG

4Before.thumb.JPG.c829eb11d7981689d56c6e1a667c94b6.JPG

4Clean.thumb.JPG.3ac54b921740094ad156aafa6793bb97.JPG

5Before.thumb.JPG.1917c2e33aaa9d1c7815f97d53c8d0c4.JPG

5Clean.thumb.JPG.b836b78bdb27b3e8878b2e4a1add9b66.JPG

Great looking work! I do love a nice clean engine. It is just about that time of year for my vehicles. I haven't done a full detail on my engine since April and it definitely needs it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived