LegacyGT.com

Used WRX Struts vs KYB GR2s

Deciding still on what to upgrade my suspension to, what are the differences between WRX Struts vs KYB GR2s?....Any good links to places I could order new 04 wrx struts, or should i get a used set?....

I'm trying to upgrade, but no also spend a ton of money. Looking to upgrade spings to lower my car also.

Debating on seeing if i can get a set of 04 Sti struts and shocks...Any ideas?

Yes i have read the suspension Sticky..but there are no reviews there really...Looking to spend under $400 ish..

Thanks

Haha i know everyone keeps telling me that the KYBs are 10% stiffer than stock...but are they still than the wrx struts?.

idk im just debating on wether i should try to get....

1) A used set of 04 sti strut/shocks

2) A used set of 04 wrx strut/shocks

3) purchase a new set up KYBs and get some springs for it

4) get new wrx struts off rock auto...and install a used set of STI springs

• 2 weeks later...
would be nice to have the forum use google as a search engine...thanks. Hope the new car is coming along well

Just use google to search the forum.

site:http://legacygt.com/forums/ _______________

^Enter that into google with the _______________ replaced with what your search term(s) is/are.

You can also get kyb gr2's for a wrx, they are stiffer than gr2's for the legacy IIRC.

• I Donated
Avoid the 04 sti struts/shocks. There is usually a rattle at the rear end and need replacing every 20k if not sooner.

What makes you say that? Can you back up that claim?

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I am looking into upgrading my suspension too, I went the dealer to ask about the wrx or sti suspension and he flat out said dont do sti. It's some sort of inverted coil system that is unique to that one year and was a total failure on subaru's part. Go with the wrx or any newer sti stuff.

Avoid the 04 sti struts/shocks. There is usually a rattle at the rear end and need replacing every 20k if not sooner.

this is completely false. the struts don't blow. the grease on the insides of the housings needs to be cleaned out and redone. This is common in the rears. This is because they are INVERTED. 04 sti struts are the best bang for the buck dampening strut/spring combo. I would recommend buying 02-05 wrx kybs and just putting stock wrx springs on them if you want new. If you want the best strut/spring combo for performance with a slight drop, get koni inserts for wrx struts, wrx stock struts, and RCE black springs.

-B

Thanks for the help, i have just been sifting through the for sale posts and hoping to get a decent deal soon. Havn't looked in a while, but its making more noises, which means i really need to do something about it.

Archived