LegacyGT.com

4th gear syncros shot?

Dbl_D718

Update since it got bumped: I took it to the shop and the manager asked to go for a ride with me so I could replicate the problem for him. Tried probably 6 times shifting pretty darn hard at WOT and ~6300 RPM and it would not grind. This is after about three weeks of driving like grandma so it wouldn't grind.

We decided to cancel the repair and I have extra-s fluid to change in and we'll see what happens.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

have my fourth gear grind going, third to fourth and fifth to fourth. came about just shy of 90K miles. some days it behaves others it grinds no matter what I do. changed my tranny fluid when I did my clutch last summer (12K miles ago?) with royal purple 75w90 synchromesh and yea...grindy grind grind. Should probably drain the tranny again anyways (bye bye $100 in fluid) and see how much residue I built up on the magnet and replace with either what BAC5.2 recommends or just go straight extra-S

I got my fluid changed with extra-s yesterday, haven't driven it hard yet but so far it feels a little better than before. Not sure what old fluid typically looks like, but mine was still golden brown.

Anyway tho, I'll get the chance to try a good 3-4 shift tomorrow so we'll see if it grinds.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

• 4 weeks later...
Update since it got bumped: I took it to the shop and the manager asked to go for a ride with me so I could replicate the problem for him. Tried probably 6 times shifting pretty darn hard at WOT and ~6300 RPM and it would not grind. This is after about three weeks of driving like grandma so it wouldn't grind.

We decided to cancel the repair and I have extra-s fluid to change in and we'll see what happens.

When my syncrhos when out, it would grind at any rpm. I could put the clutch to the floor and try to put it into 4th and it would grind regardless of rpm.

Sounds like you just needed some extra-s lovin' (no pun intended :lol:).

lol

switched to mobile 1 75-90 and the 4th gear grind came. then i immediately switched it to royal purple, same weight and the grinding happens once and a blue moon. next im going to switch back to subaru extra s. i have kept up on my maintenance and changed my tranny fluid every 30k miles. i think the 6 spd xmsn are picky which fluid goes in them

I've been on the Extra-S since my last post and no longer grind in 4th. But 3rd seems a little clunkier than it was before. Whatever tho. No grinding is all I care about.

Archived