LegacyGT.com

Throw out bearing and clutch parts check

Alright folks, I've got the classic throw out bearing issue going on and I want to change it before it seizes up and rips off my input shaft. Also my clutch is going (chattering on starts) so while I'm in there I might as well change it.

So here's my question, I've heard of the dual mass flywheels the legacy gt's being problematic for clutch changes (no resurfacing) and that impreza ones fit. My question is, for my '06 2.5i which impreza flywheel do i need? '08 impreza 2.5i? Also is there a lightweight flywheel that would fit available? I like my revs to change quickly (mainly on the down revs). And then with this new flywheel I presume I'd use the impreza pressure plate and disc? Thanks for looking!

Alright folks, I've got the classic throw out bearing issue going on and I want to change it before it seizes up and rips off my input shaft. Also my clutch is going (chattering on starts) so while I'm in there I might as well change it.

So here's my question, I've heard of the dual mass flywheels the legacy gt's being problematic for clutch changes (no resurfacing) and that impreza ones fit. My question is, for my '06 2.5i which impreza flywheel do i need? '08 impreza 2.5i? Also is there a lightweight flywheel that would fit available? I like my revs to change quickly (mainly on the down revs). And then with this new flywheel I presume I'd use the impreza pressure plate and disc? Thanks for looking!

Hey there!

So first you have a stock SMFW (Single mass flywheel) in your 06 2.6i so you dont have to worry about DMFW or any of the LGT related issues with your gearbox and clutchpack setup.

If you are going to fix this problem here is what I would, and did, buy:

Exedy OEM Clutch pack P/N: KSB04

Timken Rear Main Oil Seal P/N: TIMKEN Part # 710235

LGT/WRX 06+ OEM flywheel: Shop around for the best price I use Subaru bucks at my dealer

Optional:

OEM Flywheel resurfacing if your current FW isn't hot-spotted too much

TSK1 kit to ensure against the TO bearing issues better than the stock replacement TO bearing

Replacement fork if your fork is cracked or has signs of weakening

Oh I do have a single mass flywheel! Sweet, I'll see if I can get that resurfaced. Also, my car only has 60k miles on it, you sure I need to do the rear main? I suppose I should probably do this order online with all these specific subi parts.

Oh I do have a single mass flywheel! Sweet, I'll see if I can get that resurfaced. Also, my car only has 60k miles on it, you sure I need to do the rear main? I suppose I should probably do this order online with all these specific subi parts.

Not at 60K no you don't, but when your flywheel is off just check to make sure it isn't weeping oil.

Good point. Its just better for me to get everything from one place since I'm in AK, shipping is expensive.

You can get everything from RockAuto.com but the TSK1. Also you don't have to use the TSK1 I just found a good deal (rs25.com member) and figured it can't hurt to protect snout. To be honest that issue is more prevalent with the turbo 5MT gearboxes than ours. The TSK1 new cost around $150 shipped if you want to run it.

Wow I just had a dumb realization. If I search everything separate on orileys website, it doesn't show much available. But I just found that they have a few kits in stock locally that have the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing (as well as a version with the sleeve). Do'h! Thanks for the help! Now I just need to pull my engine, inspect some stuff, see what to buy and get on with it.

Archived