LegacyGT.com

tranny shifts hard 1st and 2nd

i just bought this 96 legacy L wagon last week. it has 143500k miles.

its an automatic.

i checked the fluid and its fine but when im driving it shifts really hard into 2nd gear. theres not CEL on. i did research and it said it could be a MAF sensor? or fluid flush? i had a 1999 chevy astro with the same problem, i repaced the sensor on the astro van and it fixed it right away. will that work for the legacy?

• I Donated

How do you know the fluid is fine?

Do you have a way to check the fluid for break down to see if its still doing the job it was designed to do?

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

i will get the fluid flushed. also when ever i start the car and drive it feels sluggish, then after it warms up the sluggishness is gone. i can also feel the car rock back and forth

• I Donated

DO NOT flush it. Do a few drain and fills. Do your first one, then drive a week, then do another.....then drive another week...then do it a third time.

Use just standard DexIII fluid. Its what the car calls for. If you want an "upgraded" fluid, you can run Dex6...its DexIIIs replacement. Its full synthetic fluid and its backward compatible with III.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Think of a toilet and a sink. The toilet has gobs of power to send all of the shi* down the hole, along with cleaning the skid marks on the bottom. The sink drains in a calm state when compared to the flush of a toilet. Does this help? ;) The drain is supposed to keep your metal shavings in your transmission to help as lubricant, this is why you do it in 3 to 4 steps. If you flush those out, your lubricant is all gone and we all know what happens when the lube dries up!

This is correct right broknin?

DO NOT flush it. Do a few drain and fills. Do your first one, then drive a week, then do another.....then drive another week...then do it a third time.

Use just standard DexIII fluid. Its what the car calls for. If you want an "upgraded" fluid, you can run Dex6...its DexIIIs replacement. Its full synthetic fluid and its backward compatible with III.

Agreed on all of the above. Just make sure that you refill the exact amount of fluid that drained out. That way you don't overfill.

"Do a few drain and fills. Do your first one, then drive a week, then do another.....then drive another week...then do it a third time."

How come there is no mention of the filter being changed? When should it be done during this procedure?

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

"Do a few drain and fills. Do your first one, then drive a week, then do another.....then drive another week...then do it a third time."

How come there is no mention of the filter being changed? When should it be done during this procedure?

I had already mentioned replacing the filter in my first reply. I would replace it during the first drain and fill.

My wife's 98 seems to really like mobile one atf.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Hey guys, I dont mean to bring this thread back but better then creating a new one. Its my first 4eat transmission fluid change so I want to get some things cleared up. (5mt is so much easier to change)

I read the stickys on here and it says that the 4eat requires 2.6 quarts on the 4eat but total capacity is 10 quarts? And to use Dexron III but I heard I can use Subaru ATF-HP. How many quarts should I get?

I understand the whole drain and fill and repeat 3-4 times process.

However, do I need to drain and fill for the front and rear diff fluids multiple times or just once for the front and rear diffs? And can I use the same Subaru-ATF fluid on the front and rear diffs or should I just use a 75w-90 gls type fluid instead?

Thanks!

Archived