LegacyGT.com

looking to get a 2nd car for fun.... miata??

like the title states, im looking to get a fun little rwd manual trans car like an early 90s model miata or something similar, what is out there? looking to spend around $5k or less. my co-worker had a 90s miata so hes going to be looking around and helping me check a few out.

I picked up a '92 Miata last August as a 'fun' car. I have to say, it has been a LOT of fun. Easy to work on, cheap parts, and a hoot to drive. Easily the best handling stock car I've ever driven (even with worn out, 160k miles suspension!). As noted, check out the Miata forum and read up on what to look for when buying. A '94 or newer will have the 1.8L motor, which makes upgrades a little easier (i.e., you don't have to start with a 1.8 swap) if your looking at mild upgrades (<225HP). The stock horsepower is definitely underwhelming, but get on a twisty road, and it won't matter...

I've finished baselining all the maintenance on mine, and am almost finished with mods, except for the drivetrain. I'm about 90% sure it's getting a Ford 302, but still thinking about a turbo 1.8L...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/Miata5-27-123.jpg

The 5.0 in a miata is cool but it is going to add like 200lbs to the front end. I am sure it will still handle well but it will change the weight distribution and transfer for sure.

No, it doesn't.

The Mazda iron block and transmission are quite heavy. An aluminum head 302 w/ T-5 and an 8.8 rear adds 75-100 lbs, and not all on the front.

Miatas are amazing little cars... in stock form, low on power, but super fun... Get decent mileage, cheap to maintain...overall just a great car.

Swap a 302 or a LSX for Big power, reliability and still retaining the handling prowess.

people will question your sexuality when you drive one... just tell them its a race car ;)

No, it doesn't.

The Mazda iron block and transmission are quite heavy. An aluminum head 302 w/ T-5 and an 8.8 rear adds 75-100 lbs, and not all on the front.

A loaded 5.0 is 450-470lbs, a miata 1.8 liter is like 270-290lbs. I don't know about the transmissions or the rear end weights but I suppose they could make up for some of that 160-200lbs difference. The point is though it is not just the weight but where the weight sits.

Screw a 5.0...LS2 make more powers!!

The LS will make more power, but the LS/T-56 swap is actually heavier than a 302/T-5 swap. Considering the amount of tire you can get under a Miata, more power doesn't necessarily mean better results. Most of the racers consider the sweet spot for the chassis to be 250-300hp.

I considered building a turbo 1.8, which can easily make the numbers, but the 302 swap will easily provide 300hp with better drivability (torque), and will be stone reliable.

The LS will make more power, but the LS/T-56 swap is actually heavier than a 302/T-5 swap. Considering the amount of tire you can get under a Miata, more power doesn't necessarily mean better results. Most of the racers consider the sweet spot for the chassis to be 250-300hp.

F that noise!! I want to spin 4th and chirp the 5th to 6th shift!

I considered building a turbo 1.8, which can easily make the numbers, but the 302 swap will easily provide 300hp with better drivability (torque), and will be stone reliable.

I am not sure how much heavier it could be, a t-56 is 30-40lbs heavier than a t-5 and a ls1 is lighter than a 5.0 iron block even with alum heads. I would think they would come out to be pretty close except the ls1/t-56 combo is much stronger. I always thought it was strange that ford used a transmission that was rated for less trq than the engine produced.

Wrong.

Get a 1995 Ford Aspire instead, and drive it like a complete ass-clown until it breaks. Then buy another one, rinse and repeat.

why did you come up with the conclusion i would drive like an ass-clown?? I am a car salesperson, I could lose my job by getting traffic tickets

Go to www.miata.net and do some research. Some 1.6 early 90s Miatas have what's known as a "short nose crank" so when it's timing belt time you get big problems. The Miata engine is not an interference engine, so a broken timing belt does not result in broken valves and pistons.

checked that out, some good info!

I picked up a '92 Miata last August as a 'fun' car. I have to say, it has been a LOT of fun. Easy to work on, cheap parts, and a hoot to drive. Easily the best handling stock car I've ever driven (even with worn out, 160k miles suspension!). As noted, check out the Miata forum and read up on what to look for when buying. A '94 or newer will have the 1.8L motor, which makes upgrades a little easier (i.e., you don't have to start with a 1.8 swap) if your looking at mild upgrades (<225HP). The stock horsepower is definitely underwhelming, but get on a twisty road, and it won't matter...

I've finished baselining all the maintenance on mine, and am almost finished with mods, except for the drivetrain. I'm about 90% sure it's getting a Ford 302, but still thinking about a turbo 1.8L...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/Miata5-27-123.jpg

i really like that body design, but i might just go with the 2nd gen, a 94' is going for around $5k-$5,500 and a 2001 is going for $8k all with decent mileage (yes i am killing my budget)...... in the perfect world I would get an MR2 or 240SX/300ZX but they are all riced out

I picked up an 06 S2000 as my fun car. At 6'4" I didn't fit in the Miata, but I'm comfortable in the S2000.

i wish i could afford an s2k

my manager saw a silver MR2 Spyder for sale by his house hes gonna get some info on it for me, i hope i can afford it and its in good condition

I picked up an 06 S2000 as my fun car. At 6'4" I didn't fit in the Miata, but I'm comfortable in the S2000.

Really, everytime I sit in a S2K I think this car is too small for me to ever own. I am 6'3" so we are pretty close. The vette on the other hand has plenty o room.

well pulling the trigger, got a 2006 Miata traded in at the dealer I work for, 11k miles buying it for $13.5, and the thing is mint! its a base model and traded with only 1 key but I know some people at Mazda that will help me out

might get a vanity plate for this "SLO S2K" or "S2K LOL" yes I know any S2K will spank me in reverse

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a 94 R package Miata (stock Bilsteins, lighter wheels, power nothing, less weight) that I currently don't have insured and am not driving...but damn if I haven't been thinking about driving it and missing it for the past year.

I bought it back in '06 and daily drove it for most of the time between then and last year. I also took it to many autox meets with nothing more than basic maintenance, sticky tires (Falken Azenis) and a more aggressive alignment. Talk about FUN!

The very first autox I went to actually was a 24 hour Autox. I think it was $60, started at noon on Sat and went till noon on Sun and you could run the track as many times as you wanted in that span. You got 5 official runs (you choose before you start the lap) to choose throughout the 24 hrs to count in the standings.

In my eyes, the Miata was made for this type situation. At my 1st autox with a stock car (granted I probably got 20-30 runs in, but so did everyone else) I ran an official time that was within 3 seconds of the fastest overall time, which I think was set by a Boxster S on slicks, if I remember correctly. These cars are very intuitive in tight situations and handle very predictably. Great way to learn the limits of driving fast in a relatively safe way.

Whew...down off my autox horse. Daily driving a Miata can leave lots of things to desire, but I was young and wanted to punish myself so it was fine and great most of the time. No real level of comfort or sound isolation in the 90-97 generation, but if you use them for what they were made for...racing, weekend cruising, etc, then it's impossible to beat for the money.

it's impossible to beat for the money.

+1!

Even value for money aside - I've tracked some pretty fast cars, but for sheer entertainment I have yet to find a car that puts as big a smile on my face as my '90 Miata. It's just so light and unbelievably easy to drive at (and past) the limit. They're great little cars.

Archived