LegacyGT.com

What's your favorite mod?

So I'm a fairly recent nused owner of an 05 LGT ltd 5EAT. Bone stock for now. This is my daily driver for toting the wife and kid around in,so I dont plan on getting too heavy with the modding. I've got plenty of mod money tied up in my Mustang ;).

Anywho, I being a car guy, can't leave well enough alone. So my question to those of you who have mods is:

What"s your favorite mod? And I dont mean appearance-wise, or even handling-wise. I've got that figured out. I mean power/driveability-wise...

What's the mod that made you say, "Damn! I should have done this sooner!"?

I have some things in mind I'd like to do:

Lightweight crank pulley

Tune-AP or OP-not sure what would be easier and more convenient

Turboback

Plan on gutting the uppipe unless I come across a good deal on an aftermarket one

Do any of these fall under your lists? I might be a Subie newbie, but I am in no means a car newbie. I work on cars for a living, so there's nothing I'm not able to do myself.

Thanks for being an informative site. Now let the flaming begin.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well you have a 5EAT, I'd definitely do the Crank Pulley first as it increases initial throttle response greatly. Then I'd do the above. Skip the AP, go opensource, it's more fruitful.

Are there any walk-throughs on the opensource? Tuning myself does make me a little nervous. There's nothing like the such when it comes to Mustangs, so I have no tuning experience.

Track time. Will beat any thing you can bolt onto the car.

This is my d.d. I have my Mustang if I want to go to the track. I'm just looking to make it a little more fun. I'd hate to buy parts that don't improve anything.

Exhaust work, turbo-back or cat-back with different mufflers like magnaflow to bring out the subi rumble.

My fav mod that I should of done immediately when I bought it.

Sounds great even with an 100% stock engine as I did for a few weeks then stg2 hit

• Moderators
What effects are there running a turboback on a stock tune?

You really shouldn't do that. If you change the downpipe out you have to get a tune.

Well you have a 5EAT, I'd definitely do the Crank Pulley first as it increases initial throttle response greatly. Then I'd do the above. Skip the AP, go opensource, it's more fruitful.

Crank pulley, really? I've never heard someone advocate a LWCP as a really great mod--I've been thinking about doing it but have held off since I didn't think there would be a big difference.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Well, bang for buck it's great. People on NASIOC sell them used for <$80. The difference it makes more autos is much more satisfying than the difference it makes for manuals. Trust me, I know. I did it to my 5EAT leggy, and to my current '11 WRX. It takes less time for the crank to rotate due to the decrease in weight. This in all equals better pick up from a stop.

OP, when I said opensource, I didn't mean do it yourself. I meant contact an e-tuner whether it be cryo, infamous, or phatbotti. They will tune the car for you, just get a Tactrix or Vag-Com cable.

Well, bang for buck it's great. People on NASIOC sell them used for <$80. The difference it makes more autos is much more satisfying than the difference it makes for manuals. Trust me, I know. I did it to my 5EAT leggy, and to my current '11 WRX. It takes less time for the crank to rotate due to the decrease in weight. This in all equals better pick up from a stop.

OP, when I said opensource, I didn't mean do it yourself. I meant contact an e-tuner whether it be cryo, infamous, or phatbotti. They will tune the car for you, just get a Tactrix or Vag-Com cable.

I think I'll do the crank pulley first. I've read some reviews that said slight gain in mileage. Was this the case for you?

Mmm, that definitely depends on how you drive. If you're mostly coasting then sure, but keep in mind, the new found response will likely make you want to get on the gas more =D.

If you need help installing just PM me.

Wait what, how is spending 1k for a catback the best bang for your buck?

A downpipe new is ~250

An Uppipe new is ~ 150

A Stage 2 Tune is ~ 200

= $600.

That $600 will give you much more than 2 HP.

Also, don't look at that eHow. It's frightening.

I would say my favorite mods are still the most simple ones. There's something very satisfying about spending little, easy install, and a big smile.

For these I say first, Hogszaust; I know it's ghetto and all, but I've never had that much satisfaction from $2 and 15 minutes, at least in the U.S. :lol:

Second, DP and stage 2 tune; this is my real favorite mod, makes the biggest difference in driving the car compared to stock.

Third, offset LCA bushings; this made a very noticeable difference in steering feel and response, I couldn't do without them after having them.

And lastly, rear swaybar, the single most effective suspension mod IMO.

best mod ever for 05-07 5EAT

F1 valve body- hands down!

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

I would say my favorite mods are still the most simple ones. There's something very satisfying about spending little, easy install, and a big smile.

For these I say first, Hogszaust; I know it's ghetto and all, but I've never had that much satisfaction from $2 and 15 minutes, at least in the U.S. :lol:

Second, DP and stage 2 tune; this is my real favorite mod, makes the biggest difference in driving the car compared to stock.

Third, offset LCA bushings; this made a very noticeable difference in steering feel and response, I couldn't do without them after having them.

And lastly, rear swaybar, the single most effective suspension mod IMO.

Okay,well, I wasn't going to admit this. But Hogzausted my car last week. I actually think it sounds decent for an exhaust leak.:redface:

So whats bad about running a downpipe without a tune?

Archived