LegacyGT.com

Conversation with Suby mechanic ...

I was at the dealer yesterday and asked the mechanic dude what his take on flashing the ECU for better performance was. Instead of the expected "you'll void yer warranty" lecture, he said " ... wait until about 5,000 mi before you do anything .. you may find that the car has learned to drive better .." Any thoughts on this comment ????

Well, I'm no expert, but from reading these boards, the general consensus is your car will probably learn to drive worse. Less clear, however, is the issue of whether the ECU is doing what is was designed to to, which is protect the engine from poor fuel and maintain emissions standards. The problem is that a clean-running, damage-proofed engine isn't necessarily a good-driving engine.

he may have also been referrng to breaking the engine and car in a bit before flashing, but whatever the ecu might learn during that time is not comparable to what an AP or reflash will do for your car's power. reflashing the ecu after the initial break-in period (1000 miles or whatever it is) is common practice in these parts.... YMMV
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

I have heard similiar comments regarding syn - maybe it all plays a role - but it could also be pure speculation. I may be waiting until after 5K simply due to finances..

5K+ is a good comfort level for me (personal pref of course)

In several articles I have read about tuning the WRX, it seems as if the ECU does make more power as it learns. That doesn't mean that a reflash won't add on top of that curve though. ;)

Archived