LegacyGT.com

any real world times yet???

i've read all the publicity pamphlets and reviews, but i'd like to know if anyone's got real times for gt limiteds. manual or auto is ok, since i don't even know which one i'll get yet. published 0-60 times of 5.8-6.0 seem optimistic to me. i figure since we've got some international members here, someone may have already had their's long enough to track it.

[quote name='vqdriver']i've read all the publicity pamphlets and reviews, but i'd like to know if anyone's got real times for gt limiteds. manual or auto is ok, since i don't even know which one i'll get yet. published 0-60 times of 5.8-6.0 seem optimistic to me. [/quote] Not to me. When the wrx came out, subaru's official estimate was 6.2 0-60. Car & Driver got a 5.4, as did several other sources. I think they estimate conservatively from the factory, so if they are saying 5.8 for the Legacy, thats actually BETTER than they predicted for the wrx, and the wrx was much faster in actual tests. Plus the XT, which weighs more than a Legacy but also has the 2.5, is testing faster than the wrx. And my seat of the pants says it feels a little faster most of the time than my wrx did. Maybe I'll be wrong, but I'm expecting times at least as good as a wrx.

[quote]Plus the XT, which weighs more than a Legacy but also has the 2.5, is testing faster than the wrx.[/quote] I assume you're talking about the Forester XT since I haven't seen any fast times clocked for the Outback XT. FXT is actually 130 pounds lighter than legacy GT, plus it has the shorter gearing. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think the leg GT will be quicker than the WRX (stock vs. stock).

hmm, I could have sworn when I looked it up the other day the forester was heavier, but I'll take your word for it (dial-up connection here and the subie site is so slow...). Maybe I looked up the wrx or something by mistake. But I'm still fairly optimistic about times. Like I said, my legacy feels faster to me in most instances than my wrx did.

The US Subaru site is annoying. Most of the time, it seems I can not access Features/Specs. I recall having determined previously, that similar versions of the non-turbo 2.5 NZ Forester and Legacy had the exact same dry weight. I extrapolated from that, that the same would hold true to some degree for the US turbo versions. Go figure...

Just to be clear, when I said the GT outweighed the FXT by 130 pounds, I was comparing wagon to wagon. TJ, you're right the GT sedan saves you 55 lbs. Yes, FXT is rated at 210 hp, but dynos have shown it's underrated by at least 10%. From most of the test drive reports I've read, people do not seem overly impressed with the GT's acceleration, putting it roughly on par with a WRX but a little slower than the FXT. On the other hand, its speed might be deceptive since it's quieter and smoother than the other two. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing some dyno results and 1/4 mi time slips. Shouldn't be too much longer before someone beats on their new car :lol:

I have a thought: Who cares? The Legacy is fast, deceptively so because it's so smooth and quiet. As one WRX owner said, he test drove one and thought it was slower than his WRX, then realized that at a point where he was doing 50 in his WRX, he was doing 70-75 in the Legacy. Smooth and quiet can deceive one into thinking a car is slow. But at the core of it all, there's always something faster, so who cares? Subaru says 5.8 seconds 0-60, which is a real-world time, not some smoking, clutch-dumping bit of excess. For a mass-market GT, that's plenty fast. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']I have a thought: Who cares? The Legacy is fast, deceptively so because it's so smooth and quiet. As one WRX owner said, he test drove one and thought it was slower than his WRX, then realized that at a point where he was doing 50 in his WRX, he was doing 70-75 in the Legacy. Smooth and quiet can deceive one into thinking a car is slow. But at the core of it all, there's always something faster, so who cares? Subaru says 5.8 seconds 0-60, which is a real-world time, not some smoking, clutch-dumping bit of excess. For a mass-market GT, that's plenty fast. Kevin[/quote] I have to fully agree here. It's funny how we get into bench racing so much as if we're going to be doing drag strip runs at every stoplight. In the real world, 0-60 in anything around 6 seconds is plenty quick enough and much more than enough to get into a lot of trouble. With that said, I will be more interested to see 5-60 times for the GT compared to a WRX as that is more telling, and I imagine that the GT will edge out the WRX with the extra displacement.

Kevin, Remember that the only people who say that objective measurments are irrevelant are the ones that don't have the best numbers :lol: If 5.8 or around 6 is "fast enough" then what isn't and how do you know? The GT isn't a sports car and the numbers aren't the be all and end all. I remember when the vaunted Shiv told me that I wan't a real man becuase I was interested in 1/4 mile times, and now his website lists them for each of his products.... The meaurements matter as measurements, but they do matter.

Archived