LegacyGT.com

Having trouble installing speakers

About a year ago I installed my sound system in a really shoddy way, not worrying about doing things the right way. Well now my speakers sound horrible because they aren't firmly placed and vibrate with the sound.

Should i just drill out 4 holes for the rear speakers? (it's a sedan)

Is there a bracket or something i should get for the front?

thanks,

Matt

foam or felt under the speakers where they mount does wonders for vibration. so does thin dynomat. im a bit confused on the whole drill 4 new holes. get some frame clips and use the same screws, i would think.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgyDTPjHJQOVKeBqHmAVS-XcraT4KowP3O3t-lY6jWw1FfsWk4SQ

It's called a Skewdriver. Put one on a cordless drill and use self tapping screws. Easiest way to mount speakers in a rear deck when you can't use the factory holes. Just use a #2 phillips bit. Avoid the plastic version, They don't hold up well to drills for very long.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

By shoddy i mean its held in with one of the screws then duck taped down haha. and in the front i just put screws right into the bracket but they vibrate against the metal on the door so that doesn't really work either. Is there enough space for a 1/2" spacer?

I don't see why you would need a spacer unless your speakers are unusually deep. I have Alpine Type S 6 1/2 all around without spacers. I do remember having to use the Alpine supplied adapter rings for the rear deck because the factory holes are a little large, but those rings are only 1/8" thick.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLazDsNKGEptCtjNVr4DR5288VJILBalwp5GTqHFcl6VkmHPKhStop by a car stereo install shop and ask if they have any extras laying around. I kept tons of those kind of knick knacks around when I did that for a living. I would just give them away if someone was in need. If your speakers are not mounted firmly they will sound poor.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Archived