LegacyGT.com

Hardwire Lights

I am a volunteer firefighter and am giving up on using a splitter for the cigarette plug to plug my lights into. I have 3 that all are LED so have a low draw. I am in the process of building a switch box that I will mount that will have a master switch and a switch for each individual light. The only problem is I do not know where to get the power from. Is there a power supply easily accessible in the center console or under the driver/passenger seat? Is there an easy way to access the power supply to the 12V outlet in the center console? I could just use a quick-splice on it because that supports the load now without any issues... I suppose I could run straight off the battery and put an in-line fuse in...

Thanks!

Chris

• Moderators

Use a bussman add a fuse--you can pick one up an any autoparts store and just tap into the fusebox.

EDIT: keep in mind that i am electrically-semi-retarded. However, this is what I did for my wideband O2 sensor and it was easy enough and worked great.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

If you want to get technical and run a power wire from the battery to a new fused power block, take off the plastic front drivers side wheel well and you'll find the rubber grommet that goes into the cabin with a large group of wires. You will find there are gaps and holes in the fender that lead right to the battery making for a sleek install right under your dash to power those and any future power supplies. That's how I routed my boost gauge tubing. Can't even tell its there.

Is there a power supply easily accessible in the center console or under the driver/passenger seat? Is there an easy way to access the power supply to the 12V outlet in the center console? I could just use a quick-splice on it because that supports the load now without any issues...

I have done that a while ago when I installed aftermarket car audio stuff. IIRC, you have to remove/loosen the console box (armrest part), so you can remove the console front panel as they call it (see pic). That's the part that you're interested in. Once you pull it, you can access the 12V outlet.

You could also tap power from the 12V outlet located in the console box (armrest).

consolefrontpanel.png.5c9e197630d040b725e14b5c789826cb.png

My baby. I cut the cigarette lighter connector of my lights, and wired them all into the cigarette lighter, and ran the wires to by my right knee.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae3/jkorets/Sexy%20Legs/CIMG4766.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zBOtoBj6-0]2005 Subaru Legacy GT EMS first responder Vehicle. - YouTube[/ame]

Archived