LegacyGT.com

Buying a '96 Legacy 2.5GT Wagon

First post. My father has had a '96 Legacy L wagon for a few years, bought it with 185k for $1000. Just did head gaskets and radiator, and it remains a tank. This year he bought a 2nd/spare/new '00 Legacy L wagon 5-spd for $1500 and it's in need of head gaskets, but was well maintained otherwise and still useful. Both from Craigslist.

I've had several vehicles and mostly new in recent years, but working for Acura also always have a new Acura demo, currently a TSX. I've missed having my own something and wagon/utility space to haul. Craigslist browsing again it was. I wanted an Outback or a well kept Legacy.

Found several. Wanted to stay under $2k. Cash & carry. Found a '96 Legacy wagon I thought was an LS from my experience (15" wheels, cloth, woodgrain, ad called it a 2.5L), in red and 199,900 miles. Little did I know or realize it was actually a 2.5GT. Checked it out today and aside from a fanatical service history and stacks of receipts, has all new Michelins, timing belt done again recently, head gaskets done, brakes updated, paint shines.

Has a rust bubble over/behind one rear quarter panel that hasn't come through (weird because no rust anywhere else and clean underneath), a broken off antenna, some scratches, and missing back seat head rests but great otherwise. Just like I remember from dad's other '96 but red, nicer wheels, and that 2.5GT badge. I really like the "rarity" of that and the over and above maintenance.

Owner said it uses a little oil every once in a while, and is run on Mobil 1 for 3k changes. Trans fluid changed at some point but not sure when. All original and shifted fine, as our other.

Not going to be a main driver, but a side car for cargo hauling and other random things, low cost. Hope the 2.5 gets good mileage as the current owner has had, and I can get things like the rust bubble and antenna taken care of quickly for minor money.

Wasn't sure what else to check out on it, given the stack of receipts and other information on it over the years. Now to find a parking spot for it, too.

It has arrived. Red, still shining. Rides beautifully on the brand new Michelins.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1445.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0134.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3081.jpg

199,575 miles as of today. No clue what I will be doing with this thing, I just wanted one. Few more dents than I first noticed, but clean. Radio antenna broken is annoying for the lack of things to listen to. Tight and no rattles, other than an occasional exhaust shield one (I think). Reminds me a lot of my dad's '96 Legacy L wagon, with similar miles.

This one smells a little like oil at random times. Owner said it's been run on Mobil 1, and does burn/lose a bit every now and then, not sure why. 2.5L with new head gaskets, plugs, etc. Left signal also blinks fast, and apparently has for 4 years without reason.

The left signal on my SS also blinks fast. I have replaced the bulb, and it works. I don't know what it is. Love the red! I stalked a red 98 GT that was mint in case it came up for sale. Then one day I was getting on the freeway and I saw it on the side of the road with the front end smashed up. They rear ended a delivery truck. :(

The left signal on my SS also blinks fast. I have replaced the bulb, and it works. I don't know what it is. Love the red! I stalked a red 98 GT that was mint in case it came up for sale. Then one day I was getting on the freeway and I saw it on the side of the road with the front end smashed up. They rear ended a delivery truck. :(

The lady I bought it from said for 4 years it's blinked fast. They've changed bulbs and every year it still blinked and passed inspection, just flashing quicker than the other. Odd.

Nice car. A little more worn than I thought the first day, with a couple more light dents and the wheels oxidized a bit, but solid. Need the antenna figured out so it can at least pick up FM, and run it through the DE inspection lane. And the rust spot.

Does smell a little like oil and burns a bit, not sure why. Has been running on Mobil 1 for some time now. New head gaskets, water pump, plugs, wires, alternator, battery, tires, and a few other things in the past 1 to 2 years.

I thought it was my heat shield rattling too when I heard my new (to me) legacy rattling. Took me around a week to realize it was my antennae at a really odd angle clanging off my roof rack :lol:

Antenna is broken here. Hah. On that note, someone cut the power cord to the power antenna motor. She showed me how to get to it, and who would fix it, but had also bought a new antenna mast already and not attached it. Trying to figure out which piece still to use if anything, so I can get radio reception.

Would like to find a Subaru cargo tray for the rear, and maybe rear seat head rests (had them, but apparently went in a Goodwill bag by accident years back). Little things. Moves well. Odd getting used to the 4-spd trans on the highway and how high the cruising RPM is vs. my other newer 5 & 6 speed cars, but a boxer is a boxer.

Hot as could be out today. Took the Subie out for an evening run.

Before it warms up, has a hard shift from 1st to 2nd the first few times, then is smooth thereafter. All original trans and fluid has been changed and/or lady owner said "check it from time to time to top it off". Feels perfectly fine and the 2.5L buzzes strongly. Must be a cold fluid quirk or something, just after start up.

Does smell a bit like oil, also as owner had described, when running. Wonder if there's a small valve, etc. causing this or just 200k worth of a little seepage. A/C frigid and strong, and brakes/steering perfect. Rides great too.

Ordered a slight stub power antenna replacement from AntennaX, and debating the head unit. Currently a JVC but it's really cheezy and hard to use. If I can swap it out for a USB equipped Pioneer or otherwise, and stay $100 or less with simple plug in, may do so.

Wondering where I can find a Subaru cargo liner. I assume just call the Subaru dealer parts dept.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the Legacy registered in Delaware, and everything passed clear.

Also the first highway trip in 95 degree temps. Extremely impressed at how glass smooth this wagon rides and how quiet. Just hums. No noises, no bounce, just smooth and the A/C is kicking. Temp gauge never gets to half, also good.

The only thing still bothering me is how much it shudders/stumbles when starting out/slow speed if turning. Feels like it binds up. Once at speed, or any curves, smooth and fine. But at slow speed binding/shudder. I think maybe trans fluid/filter and diff fluid change too? Other than that, what a nice $2k toy.

Do three drain and fills, and replace the filter. DO NOT flush it. Just replace the exact amount of fluid that drained out each time. Replace the filter with the first change. This will help. It helped to get rid of the torque bind in my 96 GT sedan.

Do three drain and fills, and replace the filter. DO NOT flush it. Just replace the exact amount of fluid that drained out each time. Replace the filter with the first change. This will help. It helped to get rid of the torque bind in my 96 GT sedan.

How long of a time interval between the 3 changes? Once then a delay?

What about the differential fluid? I don't have the space or time to do so myself, so will be having either a dealer or local garage do so.

I think most people go a few hundred miles in between changes.

The rear diff fluid should be changed every 60k iirc.

Sounds doable. I should have them both done.

The previous owner gave me stacks and stacks of every little thing having been changed and done, oil and tires included, but trans/diff fluid doesn't seem to be in the notes much.

How long of a time interval between the 3 changes? Once then a delay?

What about the differential fluid? I don't have the space or time to do so myself, so will be having either a dealer or local garage do so.

I think most people go a few hundred miles in between changes.

The rear diff fluid should be changed every 60k iirc.

I waited about 300 miles between each of my drain and fills.

And DO NOT let the shop do a flush. ONLY a drain and fill.

• 2 weeks later...

Took the Whoopy Subie to dealer this morning for service, trans and differential fluid. Torque bind when turning at low speeds is its only vice.

Changed them both, and told me it likely needs clutch rebuilds (I expected some kind of answer like this) after their road test. New fluid in, it is smoother but didn't make the bind go away yet. Better though. Fine for me. May change again in a few hundred more miles. Told me to drive it and see if I want to do anything more.

Hit the car wash on the way home. Not something I ever would do with a newer car, but on this it's the only way. Metallic red sure shines up nicely.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4464.jpg

Archived