LegacyGT.com

Engine swap - compatibility into Subaru 2.5i

hey LGT gurus,

I feel like my engine is almost gone... I have done all the tests, it burns oil, slaps, etc..

I started thinking of which engine I should be getting for a replacement..

It looks like a completely rebuilt engine (OEM spec) from a reputable shop or from the dealer costs more than I expected so I came to the conclusion that I might consider swapping another engine into my 2005 - Legacy 2.5i but I was preocupied by knowing if it is feasable in the first place..

1- I first considered a V7 JDM STI, I was wondering if I would need to change all the trans - diffs - etc. or if I could use the 2.5i 5 speed transmission and the original drivetrain..

Is it a direct bolt-on? If not, what mods are needed?

2- I also considered swapping a newer EJ25 from the newer Imprezas

Again, is it a direct bolt on? If not, what mods are needed

I tried searching google but I found nothing interesting

Few additonnal information:

This is my daily driver, we have cold winters here in QC, Canada, and I want a straight through swap (or almost) and something cost effective..

I considered the V7 engine because I heard from a friend that these engines are very solid and a good driving feeling..

Thanks for the help guys!!

Any EJ should bolt right up. The biggest obstacle for you if you go with any engine with a turbo will be the wiring NIGHTMARE. I can write NIGHTMARE bigger if you didn't catch it the first time. Just search for an engine out of a salvaged vehicle, or rebuild yours.
If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

The trickiest bit would be wiring. You'd need the lgt ecu, and when swapping ecus you have to reprogram the immobilizer in the key, which the dealer has to do. I've been looking into swapping a EZ30D into my 2.5i, I think that would be the coolest ever.

Ok so, I am no longer considering swapping for a turbo engine..

Is the newer version of the EJ25 used in the newer imprezas (2008+) a direct bolt on to my 2005? If not, what changes are required?

Archived