LegacyGT.com

Roof Light Bar Options / Brain Storming

• I Donated

Looking for a little bit of input on this.

I'm doing a light bar, but I'm going to mount it on the roof. I'll be using a LED light strip.

No what I'm tossed up on is where to put the light bar. I could make my life a whole lot easier if I just mount lights to the cross beam on the roof rack...but that will render my roof rack useless. My other option is to mount a bar on the forward portion of the roof before it steps up (in the 12 inch space behind the windshield). That would leave my roof rack usable. The only downfall to this though is that I would have to drill into the roof....make holes....and eventually when/if I sell the car the roof will be "destroyed" from it.

Options please?

Before anyone suggests a light bar on the bumper....I'm not even considering doing that. Having the lights higher up will give MUCH better lighting. I'm just doing this for the trail runs after dark...not for street driving

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Instead of mounting a light bar "up" on the roof rack, could you make a bar that mounts to the front part of the roof rack, but juts forward out of the way of your cargo? Or maybe a bar that juts forward but instead of mounted "on" the rack, it mounts via a contoured sandwich plate that fits between the roof sheetmetal and the forward rack mounting points?

Does that make any sense at all? lol

I think he means the light shining down onto the windshield. I was wondering this too, cause if you put it too far forward it's going to glare off your windshield like a mo-fo.

Yup

Meaning that if the vertical light spread is quite high and it hits your dirty windshield you'd be blinded by glare.

• 4 weeks later...
^ dude, find me some!

You can get them at Oreilly's http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/HLA0/H71020801/N0393.oap?keyword=driving+lights+-+universal

Or here: http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/lights/buggylights1.htm

In the early 70's we bought landing light bulbs from the FBO dealer at the local airport and mounted them in tractor light housings because the tractor's had rubber isolation rings and mounts, long before the offroad industry caught on.

Just about any off road dealer will have them also. The old style had a sealed beam with a draw of 100 watts. The new style has replaceable halogen bulbs but the highest I've seen are 50 watts. I remember the old style as having 200,000 candle power. We had to run larger generators on our VW powered buggies if we put on a set of those.

Tom

• I Donated

Tom,

If there is time I would like to make something for lights tomorrow. I'll be over to finish putting together the 2.5. Hopefully things will go quick enough to pull the 2.2 out of your car and put the new engine in.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

John,

I now am working at home tomorrow (Tuesday) and off all day Wed so if you want to come over tomorrow and Wed, that would be okay with me. That way I can fab up your reinforced Sway bar end links and maybe even your light bar.

Tom

Archived