LegacyGT.com

2014 Forester spy photos

i guess they are making them more and more like standard SUVs?

Makes sense from a "we want to sell lots of cars" point of view. Particularly if the Tribeca is going away. Though you'd think they could fix the Tribeca's big issue with the 2.0 DIT engine - pick up some power along with some much improved fuel economy...

I think the big thing the Forester XT needs is something other than the 4EAT transmission! Give it the 5EAT or the new CVT - either would be a better match for the engine!

The Subaru Forester is already like a standard SUV, so they are bucking the recent trend of turning small SUVs into small crossovers like Honda and Ford have done. Maybe that is what is needed to help the Forester gain some more of the market by focusing on the void left by Honda and Ford. I think it looks like the new Forester has gained some much needed rear legroom compared to previous models, but it is difficult to be sure just yet. If the Tribeca returns down the road maybe it should be based on the Highlander platform for 3 row seating, but have Subaru symmetrical AWD.

I would rather have the 4EAT than a CVT.

Why? As long as it's up to the power the engine can produce, the CVT is going to be far better at keeping the engine in the power band as well as providing better fuel economy.

Motorboating...floor the accelerator, engine revs way up and stay there while the car gains road speed as the CVT does it's thing.

Oh, ok. I thought maybe there was one in Wedding Crashers or something.

Here we go again. Do you "performance enthusiast, cvt hating" types grasp the concept of CAFE standards? This means that the more vehicles with CVT that Subaru sells to people that are looking for maximum fuel economy, the more gas guzzling performance cars with manual transmissions Subaru can build for you to drive?

Disagree 1000 times. The 4EAT blows chunks. Just about ANY transmission would be better and the CVT is actually quite decent.

I agree - my previous car had a 4EAT and it was no fun. Almost always the wrong gear.

453747.png

Here we go again. Do you "performance enthusiast, cvt hating" types grasp the concept of CAFE standards? This means that the more vehicles with CVT that Subaru sells to people that are looking for maximum fuel economy, the more gas guzzling performance cars with manual transmissions Subaru can build for you to drive?

CAFE standard is because of the lame ass government.

I honestly hope that the death of the 13 LGT wasn't because of CAFE. Subaru can build whatever they want to build,and I realize that they have no choice but to comply with CAFE standards like many other automakers, or face fines and heavy penalties. I just wish Subaru would stay a niche brand and not move towards becoming a mainstream brand. Because look at Toyota for instance,they got greedy and the quality of their cars suffered,because they rushed to try to become number 1 but it bit them in the ass.

letting the automakers build what consumers want to buy?

This is one of those instances where the gov't is trying to protect people from themselves - too many folks have the "i can afford a sub-15mpg SUV, so I'm going to get it" without considering the consequences - fuel demand is too high as it is - look how fired up most folks get when gas passes $4 a gallon, and yet the thought of actually doing something about the demand side of the equation never even enters into their mind as a potential solution. And then it's like a shock to them when the cost of everything else goes up to accomodate the increased fuel costs... pretty funny, actually. The truck/suv explosion was not sustainable - fuel economy had to go up and the automakers certainly weren't going to do it on their own...

I honestly hope that the death of the 13 LGT wasn't because of CAFE.
it was so low volume, and with mpg numbers nominally identical to the 3.6R, so I doubt CAFE played a role. Now for the Tribeca, that's a thorn in subarus side as far as CAFE compliance goes.

Subaru is in a tough place compared to many other manufacturers - take Ford for example - they can sell a ton of little, high fuel economy cars to help offset their guzzlers - Subaru just doesn't have that option, though with the new Impreza and it's impressive fuel economy with the CVT, maybe that will change...

Funny thing is, if you call yourself a true performance enthusiasts, you'd understand the potential of a CVT over a traditional geared automatic. Put your emotions and pride aside and face the facts. This comes from someone who loves working a clutch.

This is one of those instances where the gov't is trying to protect people from themselves - too many folks have the "i can afford a sub-15mpg SUV, so I'm going to get it" without considering the consequences - fuel demand is too high as it is - look how fired up most folks get when gas passes $4 a gallon, and yet the thought of actually doing something about the demand side of the equation never even enters into their mind as a potential solution. And then it's like a shock to them when the cost of everything else goes up to accomodate the increased fuel costs... pretty funny, actually. The truck/suv explosion was not sustainable - fuel economy had to go up and the automakers certainly weren't going to do it on their own...

it was so low volume, and with mpg numbers nominally identical to the 3.6R, so I doubt CAFE played a role. Now for the Tribeca, that's a thorn in subarus side as far as CAFE compliance goes.

Subaru is in a tough place compared to many other manufacturers - take Ford for example - they can sell a ton of little, high fuel economy cars to help offset their guzzlers - Subaru just doesn't have that option, though with the new Impreza and it's impressive fuel economy with the CVT, maybe that will change...

Fords new Ecoboost Turbos get impressive fuel economy numbers and theres rumors that ford will have an ecoboosted turbo 4 in the next Mustang. They are in a tough place right now,due to CAFE standards and i bet,the Tribeca is no more after the 2014 model year. Honestly though will anybody miss the tribeca? it doesn't fit in the line up. It should have been redesigned or discontinued a long time ago.

Funny thing is, if you call yourself a true performance enthusiasts, you'd understand the potential of a CVT over a traditional geared automatic. Put your emotions and pride aside and face the facts. This comes from someone who loves working a clutch.

Maybe because CVTs are just weird to me i don't know. I just wish Subaru would make a semi automatic gearbox. If Subaru can make their performance CVT's come somewhat close to it,hell i'll go test drive one and see if i like it. I admit i have never tried Subarus CVT's but i heard they are better than your typical average CVT. Subaru got theirs right unlike Nissan and many others. Nissan has garbage CVT's i'll tell you that much right now.

CAFE standard is because of the lame ass government. What right do they (the government) have to force automakers to build fuel efficient vehicles? and if they don't that they'll face heavy fines?

I don't like it either, but I've learned to not fight hopeless causes at this point in my life.

Maybe because CVTs are just weird to me i don't know. I just wish Subaru would make a semi automatic gearbox. If Subaru can make their performance CVT's come somewhat close to it,hell i'll go test drive one and see if i like it. I admit i have never tried Subarus CVT's but i heard they are better than your typical average CVT.

I've been driving my Legacy with CVT for over a year, and to be honest, it was weird to me for at first, to the point where I wondered if I had made a mistake. If you have a valid driver's license, you should go to your local Subaru dealer and test drive something with a CVT in it. I'm sure you can come up with some reasons to not buy it after the test drive.

It's still shocking to think how far out of hand the truck/SUV explosion got. It was crazy to see all of the gas guzzlers with huge rebates in 2008 after people finally got the message that driving 70 miles everyday in a 4wd Suburban to their desk job may not have been the best idea. In addition to the price of fuel, it seems like large trucks and SUVs have had their prices raised significantly to help control the demand.

If Subaru is going to keep a larger SUV/Crossover in their lineup, something needs to change. The Tribeca is smaller and less fuel efficient than its competitors such as the Chevy Traverse, Ford Explorer, Dodge Durango, Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander.

The existence of the 36 mpg Impreza is the great for the future of Subaru's performance cars, and the possibility of a Tribeca replacement.

Maybe because CVTs are just weird to me i don't know. I just wish Subaru would make a semi automatic gearbox. If Subaru can make their performance CVT's come somewhat close to it,hell i'll go test drive one and see if i like it. I admit i have never tried Subarus CVT's but i heard they are better than your typical average CVT. Subaru got theirs right unlike Nissan and many others. Nissan has garbage CVT's i'll tell you that much right now.

If you don't like the gearbox alternatives given you can always go over here: http://eng.kaps-transmissions.com/products-si-full-sequential-gearbox.html

453747.png

Archived