LegacyGT.com

trunk bike rack on a legacy wagon?

my friend has a concern that a trunk mounted bike rack would rip the wing off my 05 lgt wagon. has anyone used one?

http://www.cracksandracks.com/images/Yakima-2622-Quick-Back-3-bike-rack.JPG

this isn't the rack but the top 2 straps would have to wrap over the wing and that's his concern

It probably will. That wing isn't very sturdy.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Probably have better luck installing a hitch to mount a bike rack to or getting a roof mounted system.

Roof mounted is the way to go, don't you use the hatch for stuff when you go out riding?! I put my front wheel in the trunk.

If you get the roof mount system, be carefull when you open the hatch the first time. The back of the bike rail may hit the wing.

My Thule ski does. So I have bought the Sedan mounts too, and use half of each mount kit to move he ski box forward.

I've had to do this for all 3 of my GT wagons since 1998.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Roof mounted is the way to go, don't you use the hatch for stuff when you go out riding?! I put my front wheel in the trunk.

My hitch mount Softride Versa folds down when theres bike on it so I can open the hatch. When there aren't bikes on it the arms fold up and out of the way so you can still access the hatch.

I prefer hitch mount racks that allow you to keep the front wheel on. Most of the nicer racks fold out of the way for hatch access. My gas mileage is bad enough as it is, I don't need anything else on my roof. Roof racks look way cooler though, and you can add more cool adapters for kayaks, snowboards, etc.

The cheap strap racks like that always scare me. No matter how I secure them it seems one strap will pop off after any trip lasting more than 10 miles. I guess there are probably better racks than the target one I had in high school but still. I would not trust the wing on a wagon to hold that.

I already have a roof rack we need to fit at-least 2 more bikes by this weekend lol. I just bought a hitch I need the hitch rack hopefully picking one up by tomorrow. Looking at the thule swing arm or whatever they call it

I prefer hitch mount racks that allow you to keep the front wheel on. Most of the nicer racks fold out of the way for hatch access. My gas mileage is bad enough as it is, I don't need anything else on my roof. Roof racks look way cooler though, and you can add more cool adapters for kayaks, snowboards, etc.

The cheap strap racks like that always scare me. No matter how I secure them it seems one strap will pop off after any trip lasting more than 10 miles. I guess there are probably better racks than the target one I had in high school but still. I would not trust the wing on a wagon to hold that.

+1. I've been using the king cobra yakima racks for 4 years now. They look cool and are practical, but as Alfred_Buchi said, gas mileage is bad enough. Everytime I put my mtb rigs on the roof, gas mileage gets hit. You already have roof racks, so you know this. I am all for hitch mount racks. Can't wait to get one. And I also discourage these trunk bike racks. I used one once on the OBXT and yeah, I was afraid for the wing..

If you get the roof mount system, be carefull when you open the hatch the first time. The back of the bike rail may hit the wing.

My Thule ski does. So I have bought the Sedan mounts too, and use half of each mount kit to move he ski box forward.

I've had to do this for all 3 of my GT wagons since 1998.

My Sprocket Rockets just clear:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii287/bac52/2d78d210.jpg

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived