LegacyGT.com

weld broke on interior chassis

long story short. im installing one of the bolts the holds the 5mt subframe to the chassis and just snap. the nut that subaru welds to the inside broke free and i have no way to tighten or loosen the bolt. its just sitting there. the car will be drivable with all the the other mounts bolted up.

what the hell do i do.

• I Donated

Don't leave missing bolts on crossmembers or sub frames. I had 3/4 installed on a BMW sub frame (engine cradle) a few years back. It was still on the lift and I was waiting for the new bolt to come in (the missing one had snapped and I drilled it out). While it was on the lift with 3/4 bolts....the one side with only one in it failed....then the sudden pressure on the other side cause the other two to snap as well....causing the engine / subframe / suspension to come crashing down from 7 feet in the air.

So yes, that 4th bolt was THAT important...

One option you do have is to cut out like a 2x2 inch section around the nut that the weld broke on. Get a piece of sheet metal and drill a hole in the center of it, then weld a nut to it. Then weld that piece of sheet metal into the place where you cut it off the car. Don't do this unless you're confident that your welds will be able to hold up to the stress of the driveline though. There is a lot of force and weight on those bolts.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

that was one of my ideas. another is to tear into the dash and cut a hole in the less important interior tub and get at the backside of that area. but its the bolt right next to the rear mount for the a arms. basically like a foot below your passengers feet. it this even possible? once you remove the ecu there is sheetmetal. if i cut a access whole in that is there anything else between the metal behind the ecu and the nut im trying to get to.

i fell this is my best stongest action to take vs the other idea, also. keep in mind the subfame it still in the way to cut the 2x2. i would need to cut the bolt to free the subframe and leave a jack to support the tranny.

• I Donated

I don't know if there will be anything in the way if you go from the top. I wouldn't worry about wiring because most of that is under the carpet, not between sheet metal.

If you can get to it from the top, that would probably be the better way to go. That way you don't have to worry (as much at least) about rust and corrosion since it will be on an interior section. Just make sure you get both side of the weld as much as you can with spray paint to help prevent rust.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I only got it in a third of the way. This is a bolt hole that nevergets used in auto cars. So this never had a bolt in it for over 200 thous miles. Had just a bit of rust in it. I should of ran a tap though it but the theards are good. Its just like a combo of the bit of rust and lock tight that was on it that made it so I had to use a rachet to tighten it. Instead of by hand.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using TapaTalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed

http://img.tapatalk.com/4b64260e-670c-01ed.jpg

After a good thread clean I just put it back on with out welding. And sealed it up with some windsheild glue and sealed the first hole I drilled and missed by 2 inches

http://img.tapatalk.com/4b64260e-6784-8dc5.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/4b64260e-6799-12c6.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using TapaTalk 2

Archived